Inconsistent

Have our certified coaches analyze your game!

Moderators: TonyPR, deanchamp, Moderators

Forum rules
In this forum you can post your YouTube videos for the coaches to review.
Users can only create new posts, only Certified Coaches can respond.
Make sure your questions are thorough, registered users can only create new topics and edit, not reply.
If you have a change in your game or would like to reply, you can edit your post then bump it using the BUMP link.
Quick
Preferred Company: Storm

Inconsistent

Post by Quick »

As stated I am horribly inconsistent. I'm completely self taught and have a similar grip to Tom Smallwood.

[youtube][/youtube]
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Re: Inconsistent

Post by TonyPR »

Welcome to Bowling Chat. Have you considered not using your thumb and keeping your left hand on the ball throughout your whole approach? You are almost a two hander.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Re: Inconsistent

Post by TonyPR »

Ok here we go:

One thing is your whole swing is muscled, it is very difficult to have a consistent swing if it is not assisted by gravity. Gravity is always constant unless something knocks our planet off our orbit and I don't see that happening any time soon. On the other hand your muscles can be more rested one day than another, more hydrated one day than another, less tired on the first game than the eight... see where I am getting.

Another thing is you are releasing the ball around hip height, with a bent elbow and far away from your body and this is causing over rotation of the throwing arm shoulder and putting you in an unbalanced and weak position to release the ball. The ball should be released under your head and close to your ankle.

A bowling ball is a heavy object, the heaviest ball in all sports, it is easier to deal with a heavy object when keeping it close to your body. I was told by coach Rick Witse at Kegel that Jason Belmonte once told him he likes to feel his arm brush against his torso on the way to the backswing and on the way to the release on the downswing and thus releases the ball 5 boards right of his sliding foot, virtually no gap between the throwing arm and body.

I suggested bowling to handed because it is very similar to what you are doing and it will be easier to do my two recommendations this way. Supporting the ball on two hands throughout your approach will let you loosen your swing using more your legs for speed and let you relax your arms and prevent wrist injury or long term carpel tunnel. Bowling two handed will also help you keep your ball close to your body and under your head at release helping you with your balance which is key to repeating shots and preventing shoulder over rotation getting you to a stronger position at release where you can transfer energy more efficiently to the ball releasing it into the lane and forward towards the pins.

Bowling thumbless (two handed) will help you stay behind the ball which will also give you more efficient energy transfer and a more consistent stronger release because you can easily be under the equator and inside the ball and you don't have to worry about your thumb coming out.

Hope this helps. If you do wish to bowl two handed I can prescribe drills.

To reply publicly you can click post reply on the bottom left after this reply, type what you want in the box and then hit submit.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent