Wrist breaking back at release, struggling to get under ball

Have our certified coaches analyze your game!

Moderators: TonyPR, deanchamp, Moderators

Forum rules
In this forum you can post your YouTube videos for the coaches to review.
Users can only create new posts, only Certified Coaches can respond.
Make sure your questions are thorough, registered users can only create new topics and edit, not reply.
If you have a change in your game or would like to reply, you can edit your post then bump it using the BUMP link.
etnhero

Wrist breaking back at release, struggling to get under ball

Post by etnhero »

Hi Bowling Chat! This is my first post and I've been bowling for about a year now. I'm mainly self taught, took a few lessons with a bronze level coach in the beginning.

My issues involve my wrist position at the release. I've tried cupping my wrist, cocking my wrist, cupping and cocking my wrist, working the inside of the ball but I can't seem to get it under the ball to get a higher rev rate. My wrist always seems to break back at the point of release. It may just be a bad habit that I've attained. I would say my revs are about 200 RPMs or less. Any advice on having a stronger wrist position?

Thank you,

etnhero

Some videos of my shot:
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Re: Wrist breaking back at release, struggling to get under

Post by TonyPR »

Welcome kid, not bad, keep practicing and you are sure to get much better very soon. The main issue I see is that you are rotating your hand way too early, to create more revs you need to stay behind the ball until it is by your heel and just let the release happen. Always keep a loose swing and never pull the ball down from the backswing, you don't do this but I need to point this out in case you ever find yourself doing it. In your push away think "keep my fingers in front of the ball". You didn't provide a side video so I can't see your flat spot but this is also very important and is created by good knee bend, adequate slide and forward spine tilt. When I say forward spine tilt remember to never let your head go past your slide foot. Think about how an airplane lands on a runway, think " I am going to scrape my knuckles on the floor" this of course is just a mental cue. To do this you should try to keep your ball under your head/aligned with your head throughout the whole swing and release and to do this we pre set our lateral spine tilt on address before we begin our first step by simply dropping our shoulder. Finally to keep from rotating early you could try a backup drill. Here's two articles you should definitely read:

http://bowlingknowledge.info/images/sto ... cle_09.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://bowlingknowledge.info/images/sto ... 20dyds.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I know it's a lot of info so first study it, try to visualize yourself doing it and when you go practice focus on one thing at a time and forget about scoring, just focus on the skill. Have patience as it takes around 1,500 repetitions for you to learn how to do something as second nature. Have another set of eyes looking and tell them what to look for or even better, work with a certified coach. Finally be sure you have a good fit that allows you to relax your hand and not grip the ball, the ball should let go of you and not the other way around. You seem young and are probably still growing so have your grip checked often (at least every 3-6 months) by an IBPSIA certified pro shop, without a good relaxed grip you can forget about reving the ball. Most of all have fun and keep us posted.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent