Coaching: Overweight; Seniors; Physically Challenged.

Have our certified coaches analyze your game!

Moderators: TonyPR, deanchamp, Moderators

Forum rules
In this forum you can post your YouTube videos for the coaches to review.
Users can only create new posts, only Certified Coaches can respond.
Make sure your questions are thorough, registered users can only create new topics and edit, not reply.
If you have a change in your game or would like to reply, you can edit your post then bump it using the BUMP link.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Coaching: Overweight; Seniors; Physically Challenged.

Post by kajmk »

Hello folks.
Any tips, stories, examples of coaching people that we typically do not see in books, manuals, videos?

By that I mean, overweight people, seniors, anyone with physical hurdles to overcome.
This is not to imply that overweight or seniors are all the same. Some will do very well, some not.

My interest is helping people. I am not interested in money.

As Mark Baker said, his goal is to help everyone improve.
To change people that just bowl into bowlers or at a minimum, increase their enjoyment.

Every bowler is a potential ambassador and or recruiter.

So I and others would appreciate feedback.
It's my impression that this is an overlooked and under treated subject.

If we are lucky, we will all be old someday.

I see people not enjoying themselves or struggling.
Of course, they have to want help.

What say you.

Thanks in advance.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
RobMautner
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Preferred Company: No Preference

Re: Coaching: Overweight; Seniors; Physically Challenged.

Post by RobMautner »

If I can ever get a day free of doctor's appointments, I am scheduled to do an interview with Ron Mohr. Will he is obviously in very good shape, I know that he has had some health issues. It should be interesting to see what advice he has for the rest of us seniors out there.
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by TonyPR »

One of the youth players I coach, around 15-17 yrs old, who is overweight, has a very peculiar slide. His timing is good, has a well defined power step yet he goes into his slide heel first and straightens his knee completely yet has quite a long slide (with a straight knee). He uses an S8 and and an H7(red) Dexter sole and heel. His accuracy is negatively affected by this mainly because his head goes up considerably when he straightens his slide knee yet that's not my main worry. I prescribed one step drills to focus on sliding toe to heel with some knee bend and explained to him about how the longevity of his knee will be affected if he keeps sliding the way he is now.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Tony, if the one step is not working, do you see any merit in the following.
Doing a one step without the bowling ball or using a prop, something with a bit of weight.
Doing a drills at home with a sock instead of a shoe.
Small slides, just to get used to the foot action and motion.

More or less removing variables or components.

By not using a ball, the student can practices sliding until the cows come home and not incur lineage.

You could even take a variation off a Ritger drill.
No ball, hands on hips walk and slide, getting used to things, building balance and confidence focusing on the process.

Once the body is learned the skill, introduce a prop, test, if ok, add the ball. Take consideration of knocking down pins out of the equation by rolling a spare ball right up the 20 board.

Somewhere on the forum, I've attached cards showing the Ritger drills, I will search and add the link.

I've posted the cards on several topics, here is one. Look at card 5.
Customize or vary that drill.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=10874&hilit=ritger" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Digressing a tad ...
Does your bowler have a good swing slot?
Do you use any type of accuracy drills, any on lane targets or zones with a goal of connecting A to B.
For example, sets of parallel strips of tape at two points on a lane where the goal is to roll it between the strips. Sort of like flat goal posts. Distance between strips can be changed.

Also, when a player gets good enough to hit smaller targets, using magic carpet tape has the benefit of being able to hear the ball roll over it.

Ever see the drill that Joe Ciccone does with the cones? It's for Turbo grips if I recall.
There is a youtube, I will find and attach.

[youtube]https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=vvoyRAY71so[/youtube]

Joe used to bowl on the ASU (Arizona State University) bowling team.
I used to work at ASU, they have an 8 lane center at the Tempe Campus. Would see some of the kids practice there occasionally. It's actually where I got hooked (unintended pun) on bowling by being talked into a Lunch time league ...
Purely an accidental occurrence ...

Cheers
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John