Need analysis on my approach and release!

Have our certified coaches analyze your game!

Moderators: TonyPR, deanchamp, Moderators

Forum rules
In this forum you can post your YouTube videos for the coaches to review.
Users can only create new posts, only Certified Coaches can respond.
Make sure your questions are thorough, registered users can only create new topics and edit, not reply.
If you have a change in your game or would like to reply, you can edit your post then bump it using the BUMP link.
brood915

Need analysis on my approach and release!

Post by brood915 »

Hello. I posted my vid in community coaching section a few days ago, and people told me to post here with a side view video. So I went to the alley with my friends today and they filmed me.

Two problems that I am aware of:

1. In these videos, I am standing on the board 15 and aiming for the 2nd arrow.
For some reason, my ball keeps hitting the 1st arrow instead. But when I aim for the 1st arrow on purpose, I hit it every single time while standing on the same board.

2. My swing goes behind my back a little bit.. Is this the reason why I keep missing my target 5 boards to the right? Should I hinge towards the inside of my target to fix this issue?

Please give me advice on improving my game in other aspects as well.

Thank you so much in advance!!

Back:
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]

Side:
[youtube][/youtube]
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Re: Need analysis on my approach and release!

Post by JMerrell »

brood915 wrote:Hello.

1. I am standing on the board 15 and aiming for the 2nd arrow. For some reason, my ball keeps hitting the 1st arrow instead. But when I aim for the 1st arrow on purpose, I hit it every single time while standing on the same board.

Look at slides A, B & C.
In slide “A”, your ball is approximately 7 boards right of the inside of the slide foot.

Same true in slide “B” & “C”.

However in Slide “B” your slide foot at the foul line is at the 16th board, therefore the ball rolls down the 9th board. (16 -7 = 9)

In slide “C” your slide foot is around the 13th board, therefore the ball rolls down the first arrow.

It’s simply a matter of math……..the ball is usually 7 boards right of the inside of the slide foot.

You can’t expect to side on the 15th board and hit the second arrow.(15 -7 does not equal 10)

2. My swing goes behind my back a little bit.. Is this the reason why I keep missing my target 5 boards to the right?

Anytime the swing goes behind the back, compensation must take place in order to re-route the swing to play up the boards.

Be aware of where your slide foot finishes at the foul line, it will determine the path of your ball towards your target. (7 boards right of the slide foot)

3. Should I hinge towards the inside of my target to fix this issue?

I suggest you focus on keeping your hand more behind the ball at the top, rather than rolling the forearm over and getting the hand on the inside of the ball to fix this issue.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Post by JMerrell »

brood915 wrote:
2. My swing goes behind my back a little bit.. Is this the reason why I keep missing my target 5 boards to the right? Should I hinge towards the inside of my target to fix this issue?
In my previous post, I explained why you are missing your target 5 boards right.

You cannot slide on 15 and expect to hit 10, especially with an inside out swing path!

During your back swing the hand is on the extreme inside of the ball (slide D1). The swing then moves to the top without sufficient rotation of the upper body, resulting in the ball being left of your head at the top.

In D2 your right foot goes to the right, basically walking in front of your downswing. That step needs to go directly in front of your left foot……..not to the right.

Now that the top of your swing has moved behind your head and you have walked in front of your down swing, there is nowhere for the down swing to go but to the right coming down.

In slides D2 through D6 I have drawn a line through your head and a circle around the ball to illustrate your downswing path.

Also, notice how your upper body stays open during this sequence, aiding the right to left down swing.

To get your down swing closer to your body and straighter back and through:
1) I’d start by getting your hand more behind the ball on the back swing, and not on the extreme inside as shown in D1.
2) Work on getting the fourth step more in front of the previous step, not out to the right.
3) The upper body must square up to the intended target line, your upper body is open in D4 through D6.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Jim, brood posted another question to the Community Coaching section.
I responded respectfully, copied below including his question.
I'm going to copy your question to the post in the Certified Coaches Forum.

Jim has given you detailed analysis and a plan to follow.

To make an analogy, Jim is a Master Chef while I've read a few cook books.
Too many cooks spoil the broth.

I certainly do not want to misdirect your focus.
Jim is excellent at know what to change and what to leave alone.

I've added your question below
His question.
Thank you. I recently posted under the certified coach section and jim analyzed my approach.
He told me to stay more behind my ball and square my shoulder more at the foul line.

It seems like I am having a hard time squaring my shoulder.
Does the position of balance arm affect this issue?
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
spr3wr
Certified Coach
Certified Coach

Post by spr3wr »

In the Community Coaching brood915 has a posting " Switched to 2 handed one week ago" So is he a 1 hand or 2 handed bowler?

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=12413" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
None active - USBC Bronze level coach
Dick Ritger level 1 coach
2 300 games
1 800 series
High average 223
Coaching with pros in clinics since 2004