Another ETT Question

Have our certified coaches analyze your game!

Moderators: TonyPR, deanchamp, Moderators

Forum rules
In this forum you can post your YouTube videos for the coaches to review.
Users can only create new posts, only Certified Coaches can respond.
Make sure your questions are thorough, registered users can only create new topics and edit, not reply.
If you have a change in your game or would like to reply, you can edit your post then bump it using the BUMP link.
pjape

Another ETT Question

Post by pjape »

Jim,

Thanks for the great advice. This is an area I've gone back and forth on for many years. I've even considered holding a string at the break-point at about 45 feet, go over whatever target I choose, and hold the other end of the string at the beginning of the approach, to find just where I should start my approach. Yea, I'm pretty anal. :lol:

What confuses me is, for example, Barnes starts and slides on the same board, no matter how much angle he's playing. Maybe that's OK if you have as much talent as he does and can practice gobs of games.

My question is, how does one execute ETT if the shot is very, very deep? I remember when the PBA was in my area in 2005, and the Chameleon was the pattern. The vast majority of the right handers were playing 25 at the arrows out to 10 at the break-point at about 45 feet. If a line was drawn straight back from the bp, through 25 at the arrows and continued back to the approach, the ball return would be in the way. Maybe this is an instance where it's required to walk to the left, which unfortunately is pretty tough to do (for me at least).

Thanks Jim!
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Re: Another ETT Question

Post by JMerrell »

pjape wrote:Jim,

Thanks for the great advice. This is an area I've gone back and forth on for many years. I've even considered holding a string at the break-point at about 45 feet, go over whatever target I choose, and hold the other end of the string at the beginning of the approach, to find just where I should start my approach. Yea, I'm pretty anal. :lol:

That’s okay, I have a roll of black and yellow caution tape that I use when explaining to someone about their alignment issues.

What confuses me is, for example, Barnes starts and slides on the same board, no matter how much angle he's playing. Maybe that's OK if you have as much talent as he does and can practice gobs of games.

There are exceptions to just about everything in life. Successful athlete’s uniqueness often shows up in their physical games. This uniqueness is an asset in their performance.

Problems arise when an individual tries to incorporate another athlete’s uniqueness into their physical game.

Each of us preform in our own unique way and we do it very well, because we own it.

My question is, how does one execute ETT if the shot is very, very deep? I remember when the PBA was in my area in 2005, and the Chameleon was the pattern. The vast majority of the right handers were playing 25 at the arrows out to 10 at the break-point at about 45 feet. If a line was drawn straight back from the bp, through 25 at the arrows and continued back to the approach, the ball return would be in the way. Maybe this is an instance where it's required to walk to the left, which unfortunately is pretty tough to do (for me at least).

Playing very deep with ETT is not a problem on the odd numbered lanes.
On the even numbered lanes most of these athlete’s stand in front of the ball return and use an abbreviated approach ( three steps being the most common) to execute.

Thanks Jim!
Jim,
Not too many Chris Barnes come to see me for help. :lol:
My philosophy on teaching the physical game is built around what works for the masses.
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"