Lateral spine tilt

Have our certified coaches analyze your game!

Moderators: TonyPR, deanchamp, Moderators

Forum rules
In this forum you can post your YouTube videos for the coaches to review.
Users can only create new posts, only Certified Coaches can respond.
Make sure your questions are thorough, registered users can only create new topics and edit, not reply.
If you have a change in your game or would like to reply, you can edit your post then bump it using the BUMP link.
brich
Preferred Company: Storm

Lateral spine tilt

Post by brich »

Hello Jim, greatly appreciate this web site and all you do to help bowlers. Reading a prior post about lateral spine tilt, you posted that a higher average bowlers tilt towards the ball side never decreases during the approach, while lower average bowlers, it usually does. In your option, is the primary cause for this decrease in tilt angle? Having read and observed that the bowlers head should be to the right of the left hip for a right handed bowler early in the approach then increase as bowler goes toward the release.
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Re: Lateral spine tilt

Post by JMerrell »

I view each athlete individually; therefore I don’t have a this one item always causes type this answer for you.

Maintaining lateral spine tilt requires:
1) Proper setup at address
2) Proper alignment to ball path line created from target to break point
3) Proper ball placement
4) Proper foot work to support the upper body

Far too often I see bowlers aligned too far left at address to their intended target line. This misalignment at address results in compensations during the approach in order to launch the ball on the intended line. These compensations often result in a loss of lateral spine tilt as the body tries to maintain balance due to the misalignment.

Honestly, when I work with athletes it is as easy as items 1 through 4 above. Doesn’t mean each athlete will have “X’ amount of lateral spine tilt. But they will have sufficient lateral spine tilt for their physiology.
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"