To change or not to change

Have our certified coaches analyze your game!

Moderators: TonyPR, deanchamp, Moderators

Forum rules
In this forum you can post your YouTube videos for the coaches to review.
Users can only create new posts, only Certified Coaches can respond.
Make sure your questions are thorough, registered users can only create new topics and edit, not reply.
If you have a change in your game or would like to reply, you can edit your post then bump it using the BUMP link.
2y2
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8 and 3/8 over
Speed: 17 mph
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 10º
Axis Rotation: 45º
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm CodeX
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick Python
Light Oil Ball: Pitch Blue
Preferred Company: None

To change or not to change

Post by 2y2 »

Hello Jim, first of all I want to apologize for not posting a side view shot and for the low quality of the video, I know I’ve sent better videos but this time it was not possible.

I’m sharing two videos, in the first one my pushaway goes to the right and in consequence it goes to the left in the backswing, I guess that’s part of my inconcistencies. Other thing that I notice is that at the highest point of my swing, I move the ball a lot, It is because I’m pulling up at that point. The third thing I see is that I pull back my left shoulder very hard at the point of release. Appart from these flaws I like the shot a lot. I thought my hand was more on the back of the ball at the release moment and I can see my index is not pointing down. What I like the most in this video is the steadiness of my head, the way my elbow straightens at the release, and the release itself, although it can be improved, I think it’s going in the right direction.

[youtube][/youtube]

I tried to correct my swing direction with the drill you see in the second video, It worked!, the swing got straight again BUT I hate almost all other things there, my body looks like its falling to the left all the time, my head is not so much outside of my body, it moves to the left in the third step, I’m still moving the hand at the top of the swing due to the pull-up. My elbow is bent in the downswing. my head moves to the left at the point of release. I like my left arm location at the top of the swing and the ball/head alignment throughout the approach.

[youtube][/youtube]

I’d love to have your opinion on what things are good on both videos and my opportunities to improve, your feedback has always been very valuable to me.

Thanks in advance.
If you think I helped, please click on the "+" button, Thanks.
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Re: To change or not to change

Post by JMerrell »

2y2 wrote:
1) In the first one my push away goes to the right and in consequence it goes to the left in the back swing. You've already fixed this!

2) Other thing that I notice is that at the highest point of my swing, I move the ball a lot, It is because I’m pulling up at that point. No, going back your hand is on the outside of the ball (F4 & F5). At the top of the swing the hand repositions to get more behind or on the inside of the ball.

I tried to correct my swing direction with the drill you see in the second video, It worked!, BUT I hate almost all other things there, my body looks like its falling to the left all the time, my head is not so much outside of my body, it moves to the left in the third step,

Very minuscule, look at the comparison slides (F5 & S5).

The Good:
1) Stick with the abduction drill
2) Don’t worry about hand position throughout the swing or at the top!
3) The back swing direction created by the abduction drill creates a tendency for the upper body to move left to counterbalance the momentum of the swing away from the body.
4) Increase your lateral spine tilt at address (you know the drill….left ear outside the right hip) during your next session and see if that improves the position of your head at the top relative to your right hip.
5) Looking at the slides, you may be reading too much into the movement at the top.
6) The improved position at the top in S5 leads to an improved swing path that is more in line with the head in S7.

The Bad:
1) As for the head going left sometimes during release, this could be more you pulling down from the top with your upper body rather than allowing gravity to be your friend on the down swing.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"