Eric's tune up for Jim

Have our certified coaches analyze your game!

Moderators: TonyPR, deanchamp, Moderators

Forum rules
In this forum you can post your YouTube videos for the coaches to review.
Users can only create new posts, only Certified Coaches can respond.
Make sure your questions are thorough, registered users can only create new topics and edit, not reply.
If you have a change in your game or would like to reply, you can edit your post then bump it using the BUMP link.
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Eric's tune up for Jim

Post by MegaMav »

Hi Jim, its been a long time since I posted a video.
I took a little time off due to burn out and then an ankle injury for over 6 months from playing basketball.
I've been bowling 3 months now and got into a sport league, probably a little too early.
I've always had a problem with the apex where the ball is about a head's width left of my head, but when I correct it with unnatural muscle back right, or hinge more left the ball is almost always a pull.

So, I went out to practice with a camera, and did some self coaching to get myself close.
I tightened up my balance beam step, compacted the separation of my feet at the start and got the ball up higher on my leg.

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

Now, something still wasnt right, I felt no flat spot and wasnt really sliding correctly, so I switched out of my H5 sawtooth heel which squeaks, into a H7 red leather and I could not stop from falling off without the ball. I worked myself without a ball until I didnt fall off. My slide felt about 3x longer with the red leather and I could feel my flat spot again for the first time in a long time. My foot points straight on the slide now and im more centered on my foot at the end of the slide. I think this is because the red leather will allow me to tuck my foot in more laterally. It doesnt look like much in the video, but it feels huge on the lane. Im sticking with it unless you see otherwise. Im no Marshall Holman with slide, but, this may save my knee!

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

I tried scoring for 1 game out of 4 and I was amazed how easy it was to get a better reaction with a flat spot much larger than it used to be, it felt effortless and I could get my backswing a little higher without affecting my timing.
A packed 9 pin in the 6th was the difference between nice game and wow, did that just happen in 1 night?

Motion Holed Radical Yeti Uncaged was the ball.
13147582_1109669585722192_7556870896991241317_o.jpg
Please give me some advice. I see im turning my hand over really early, and I can fix that with more effort.
Have I improved in 1 night as much as I think?

Thank you Jim, I'd love to read your feedback on how to fix my remaining problems.
The ball is still left of my head. These videos are the better shots where the ball is closest to inline.

-Eric
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Re: Eric's tune up for Jim

Post by JMerrell »

Hi Eric,
Everything looks good and solid overall, especially the stable spine and lateral spine tilt throughout your approach.

As for the ball being left of the head at the top…let’s look at some possible solutions:
1) During practice, work on increasing your upper body rotation (torso clockwise motion). Feel as though the left shoulder is directly out in front of the right shoulder at the top of the swing.

2) Your address looks lined up to roll the ball your intended target line. But as we take a balance beam type step……..the body and swing path are moved slightly laterally left of our intended path.

3) Looking at B3 and B4 the body is walking back to the right to get aligned with the eyes target.

4) Walking back to the right in front of your swing also contributes to the amount the ball will be left of your head a t the top.

5) So my suggestion is to adjust your staring position to the right to account for the balance beam step left.

6) This will position your body on the approach on the second step further right.

7) Then work on getting the third step to go directly in front of the previous step (not out to the right in front of back swing).

8) Step three going in front of the previous step should provide a clear path for the back swing to go up inline with your head at the top.

9) These changes should improve your accuracy (straighter swing path back and through), as well as more efficient energy transfer to the release.

Keep up the great work,

Edited 05/13/2015

Flat spot length
1) FS1…..A lot of weight still back on right foot entering slide
2) FS2…..Slide foot has stopped, ball position is at ankle. Prefer a ball position closer to the right knee when the slide foot has stopped.
3) Body weight still not completely on slide foot (gold line). Ball position relative to stopped position of your slide foot does not provide much of a window for thumb timing or efficient transfer of energy to the ball.
4) FS3…..Would like to see your body in this position before the ball arrives at the ankle.
5) FS4.....Body weight has moved forward

The above contribute to a small flat spot and shots being all over the place.

1) Work on transferring body weight off the right foot to the slide foot sooner.
2) This move should also position the ball closer to the right knee as the slide foot stops.
3) Increasing the length of your flat spot.
4) Tighter short dispersion.

Down swing does not look steep.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: Eric's tune up for Jim

Post by kajmk »

So I'm reading this guy's post and getting impressed by his self analysis and writing etc.
Then I realize who it is !!!

Nicely done ...

More coffee John ...
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John