Backswing

Have our certified coaches analyze your game!

Moderators: TonyPR, deanchamp, Moderators

Forum rules
In this forum you can post your YouTube videos for the coaches to review.
Users can only create new posts, only Certified Coaches can respond.
Make sure your questions are thorough, registered users can only create new topics and edit, not reply.
If you have a change in your game or would like to reply, you can edit your post then bump it using the BUMP link.
SomyP
Preferred Company: Storm

Backswing

Post by SomyP »

While I don't believe my backswing is too high, I am having trouble with repeat-ability. I had state (Wisconsin) over the weekend and I could only hit my mark maybe twice or 3 times a game. My dad said that it's because of my swing height that's affecting my accuracy.

For me I have a pretty loose swing. I am in no way forcing my swing at all. The link is a video of me bowling. Its from 2 years ago and I have improved a bit since then. " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Currently I have seen that my swing is getting a little behind me, but I realign it and end up back in time. However I have been feeling pain in my elbow. Years ago I developed tendinitis in my elbow and it flares up from time to time. Now 15 games over the course of 3 days is not a big deal to me as I have been bowling that many in the course of a day since I started bowling at 9. Besides rest and ice, what changes would be recommended into my game so that I can bowl virtually pain free?
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Re: Backswing

Post by JMerrell »

Okay, if you really want to troubleshoot your issues.....two videos are required...one side and one rear. And preferably something newer then 2 years ago.

My opinion...rarely have I seen the height of the swing dictate accuracy.

Your swing height is a result of excessive forward spine tilt...easily seen from the side view.

As for the swing going behind you...you are a classic example of misalignment to the target.

You starting position is to the extreme left of the approach.

In B4 your third step is in line with the left gutter and it appears that you are targeting somewhere in the vicinity of the red line. While in fact your eyes are targeting much further right (green line).

Your next two steps move back to the right in order for you to have a chance of hitting your visual target.

As you step back to the right you are also stepping in the way of your back swing, hence the swing gets behind your back.

Go to this link and read post #2 several times.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12085" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Go practice and apply these principles to you approach.
I think you'll find that you will need to start further right (and no your ball won't hook off the lane)
But I think you'll find your accuracy improves and the swing won't go behind the back.

Do us both a favor and get some updated video.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: Backswing

Post by kajmk »

A minor suggestion regarding the videos.
I might be helpful, if the bowler would actually state the line they were trying to bowl.
In conjunction with Jim's reference to the other thread "suggested reading" it might be helpful if the bowler as a matter or practice quantifies where his stance starts and where he intends to slide.
This might give the bowler a frame of reference and maybe turn on a light or two.

To this and to other bowlers that are submitting video. If you have a computer, it might not be a bad idea to keep a video archive of yourself. One possible use is slump busting. You know that coaches in others sports compare and contrast videos of athletes for various reasons.

In another post, Jim detailed some free software that could be used to download from YOUTUBE and another to playback.

If interested read Motion Analysis Software

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11049" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I realize such measures are not every ones cup of tea, but if this helps just one bowler, it will be worth the effort to share the information.
Capture.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John