Frustrated:Trying to get ball close to left foot at foul lin

Have our certified coaches analyze your game!

Moderators: TonyPR, deanchamp, Moderators

Forum rules
In this forum you can post your YouTube videos for the coaches to review.
Users can only create new posts, only Certified Coaches can respond.
Make sure your questions are thorough, registered users can only create new topics and edit, not reply.
If you have a change in your game or would like to reply, you can edit your post then bump it using the BUMP link.
krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Frustrated:Trying to get ball close to left foot at foul lin

Post by krava »

After reviewing video I have taken. I see that when I release the ball, the bowling ball is a good 10 boards away from my ankle. I watched a video (richard shockley), about someone that swings their arm to the right after they have the ball up in the backswing. When she came down she swings the ball to the right. If you look at the end the bowling ball is only a board or two from her left foot. (I know she takes a giant step to the right at the end). He recommends to stand against a wall and do some drills swinging. I didn't have any issue with that except jammed my thumb into a facing on the wall accidently as I was pretending to release the ball.

So anyway today I only was concerned with getting the ball close to my left ankle when I release the ball. I bowled 2 games, I didn't try to get spares, I just threw a normal ball. I did concentrate on footwork but nothing else. I forced alot of shots, I came over on top of the ball etc. Not 1 time did I get closer then a bowling ball's length between where my left foot is and where the ball crossed the foul line. I was facing straight standing on 15 and throwing at 8. Hitting 8 wasn't a problem at all. I just didn't get anywhere close to my ankle. When I tried to force my ball to get to my ankle, I ended up somehow throwing the ball diagonally over 8 and hitting the 4 pin with a low end urethane bowling ball with no revs ( came out on top of the ball).

My question is has anyone else had a problem getting the ball close to their foot? If so how do you correct it? Not 1 time out of 24 frames did I do it right even once. I have no idea how to even fix that. I tried everything I know. When I got home I thought about maybe I was bent too far over to the right and I need to stand straigher up maybe and that might fix. After today, I left the bowling alley wanting to quit forever and not trying any more since I did everything I could think of to try to fix that one problem and didn't get anywhere close to fixing it.

So far in the past 2 weeks this is what I have found out about my game.
#1 I was drifting 10 boards to the right from where I stood. Took me 1-2 days to fix and I feel comfortable I got that fixed now.
#2 I was forcing the ball and not rolling the ball. I am pretty confident I can fix this. I have times where I still force the ball but I am not worried about this that much and I have it under control.
#3 I was coming out on top of the ball on my release because of a broken wrist. I still have to work on this a bit but I can tell the difference between when I throw it right and when I have a broken wrist.
#4 I had my right foot behind my left foot when I start but now got that fixed today.
#5 My ball is too far to the right when I release it and no where near my left foot. (I have no idea how to fix this and tried everything I think I know.) The only theory's are #1 I am holding the ball up too hight. I have it at my chest and it should be at my waist. I am leaning too far to the right when I throw the ball and I should be standing straighter. I also feel I am not getting my ball maybe far enough down on the downswing. I might be muscling the ball a bit with a semi bent arm and not keeping a completely straight arm and just let the ball drop.

Here are just 2 of the videos of me attempting to get the ball anywhere close to my left foot.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ( I know left foot came right on 2nd step about 2 boards and then went back left 2 boards on 4th step. Also know that I didn't stay behind the ball and came out on top of the ball.) I was only focusing on trying to get the ball to my left ankle no matter what I had to do and negated everything else.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (shot right after I threw the other).

Is the problem I need to get 100lbs off and then try it again or what?

I have been watching this: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and seeing how their wrist etc is at the time it is brought all the way back and I am going to do it tomorrow and film and I don't think that will fix my problem getting the ball to the foot though.

I will get video from the side and also fix the coming over the top of the ball tomorrow when I upload videos. I am stuck and can't go any further until I figure out if I am close enough or not to the left foot.
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Re: Frustrated:Trying to get ball close to left foot at foul

Post by JMerrell »

I’ve read your post three times and I’m not sure I got it all.
Simpler is always better for me.
Example: my ball is too far from my ankle at release, attached is a video.
That’s really all I need to diagnose your problem.

You said:
I was facing straight standing on 15 and throwing at 8. Hitting 8 wasn't a problem at all. I just didn't get anywhere close to my ankle.

It’s not where you start but where you finish at the line relative to your target.

You’ll notice in the slide below (finish position) your slide foot is near the center of the lane, not the fifteen board. More on this latter.

My analysis:
1) You are too upright at address, need more lateral spine tilt to the right.
2) One of the common denominators I look at is the alignment of the ball and head throughout the approach. I drew a red line through your head and at no time throughout the approach are these two in alignment.
3) Now back to your slide foot at the foul line. Looking at the slide below (entering slide) you can see that your slide foot moves straight up the approach towards the foul line. The slide foot should go back right directly in front of the previous step.

My suggestions:
1) At address, I see your right foot is dropped back….good! See the slide right foot. Pay particular attention to the angled red line across your feet.
2) At address turn your hips and shoulders so that they match the angled red line.(see the slide hips and shoulders).
3) Tilt your upper body so that a line through your head is over the right foot.(see slide tilted spine)
4) Position ball as shown in that slide.
5) Work on maintaining your upper body tilt throughout the approach.
6) Goal is to slide around the fifteen board with your head over the 8th board!

In other words more tilt throughout the approach at especially at release!
Really work on exaggerating the tilt at the foul line...right foot must go further left for balance.

Don't think about getting the ball closer to your ankle....focus on getting your head during release further from the ankle!!!!!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: Frustrated:Trying to get ball close to left foot at foul

Post by kajmk »

Hi krava.
Losing weigh for the sake of your health is a good idea, there are also other benefits as you know.
I'm going to say that Jim has successfully coached and improved bowlers of all sizes, shapes, ages, and so forth. Follow his advice. Your success will in in proportion to your commitment.

Next, I know a man who had a similar body type to yours. While he was that "size" was multiple time state bowler of the year, held a PBA card, averaged in the 220's in the URETHANE era (pre cheater).
He also owns 3 pro shops, coach's etc. One year he decided to lose weight, he found HIS motivating force whatever it was. To this date he remains in very good shape.
I once asked him what dietary changes he made. He told me he stopped eating fried food.
Now of course that's not the only way, but it worked for him.
I'm 5'8"" as a teen I was around 240. At one point, I cut my weight almost in half.
Went into the army at about 165.
Over the years I have been up and down maybe between 180 and 200.
Still a tad too much.
For most of this year I'm at the lower end, in the 170's now. Working with a trainer, trying to shape up a bit. You are a YOUNG man. The more you do now to get into shape, the more dividends that will pay as you age. Betsy Nagelsen goes into that in this book.
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gotta run.

Stay the course!!!
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John