The Release

Have our certified coaches analyze your game!

Moderators: TonyPR, deanchamp, Moderators

Forum rules
In this forum you can post your YouTube videos for the coaches to review.
Users can only create new posts, only Certified Coaches can respond.
Make sure your questions are thorough, registered users can only create new topics and edit, not reply.
If you have a change in your game or would like to reply, you can edit your post then bump it using the BUMP link.
JeffDavis22714
Preferred Company: Motiv

The Release

Post by JeffDavis22714 »

Problem #1: Used to, I would throw the ball and my track would be within an inch or so of the finger holes but my ball would not hook very strongly. I have changed my release but now find myself with my track over 3 inches from the finger holes. I know that I'm spinning the ball but I don't know how to fix it. My RPM is around 280 but I still seem to get noticeably less hook than that of other people with a lower rpm than I. I just wanted to see if someone could help me find the source of the problem and how to fix it.

Problem #2: I'm trying to "briefcase" the bowling ball in my downswing by keeping my hand on the side- a friend whom has been bowling for a long time told me to- and it seems to help a problem that I have. In my downswing, my hand tends to get too far inside of the ball to the point that I physically can't get around the ball. This is why I am briefcasing it for the moment but I would like to change it.

Problem #3: My release seems to be slightly delayed. I try to release the ball by my foot but I always seem to release it onto the lane and not next to my foot, just slightly too late.
Thanks- Jeff
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Re: The Release

Post by JMerrell »

JeffDavis22714 wrote:Problem #1: Used to, I would throw the ball and my track would be within an inch or so of the finger holes but my ball would not hook very strongly. I have changed my release but now find myself with my track over 3 inches from the finger holes. I know that I'm spinning the ball but I don't know how to fix it. My RPM is around 280 but I still seem to get noticeably less hook than that of other people with a lower rpm than I. I just wanted to see if someone could help me find the source of the problem and how to fix it.

1) Spinning the ball is usually the result of turning the ball while the thumb is still in and often the hand is more on top of the ball in the process.

Problem #2: I'm trying to "briefcase" the bowling ball in my downswing by keeping my hand on the side- a friend whom has been bowling for a long time told me to- and it seems to help a problem that I have. In my downswing, my hand tends to get too far inside of the ball to the point that I physically can't get around the ball. This is why I am briefcasing it for the moment but I would like to change it.

2) Suggest you watch a video of Michael Fagan

Problem #3: My release seems to be slightly delayed. I try to release the ball by my foot but I always seem to release it onto the lane and not next to my foot, just slightly too late.

3) With proper posture at the foul line, the see the release happening past the foot, the ball should be released onto the lane.....not on the up swing.

Thanks- Jeff
Jeff,
Welcome to the site these are just some guesses, try to get a video posted and we'll identify the root cause.
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Re: The Release

Post by JMerrell »

[quote="JMerrell"][/quote]

Jeff,
As a follow-up I've attached a photo of your hand position during release from the video in your other post. As you can see your hand is very much on top of the ball.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"