3-Step Approach

Have our certified coaches analyze your game!

Moderators: TonyPR, deanchamp, Moderators

Forum rules
In this forum you can post your YouTube videos for the coaches to review.
Users can only create new posts, only Certified Coaches can respond.
Make sure your questions are thorough, registered users can only create new topics and edit, not reply.
If you have a change in your game or would like to reply, you can edit your post then bump it using the BUMP link.
PRGuy
Preferred Company: Columbia

3-Step Approach

Post by PRGuy »

I was a competitive bowler in my younger years but had to quit the game due to chronic pain in my left knee (I am left handed). I quit bowling altogether in 2002 and resumed in 2013. When I came back, so did the pain.

It was a shooting pain that only happened on the second step. The pain was bad that I was barely able to finish three games. I had to drop out of my league in the spring of 2015. I was subbing on and off throughout the rest of the year.

In February of 2016 I decided to try a three step approach to see if it could somehow help. I took to it right away. The pain is gone. Not a twinge of pain or tightness since.

Not only is the pain gone, but I am a much better bowler now than ever before. Better now with three steps than I was when I was young and in my prime. It has saved my bowling life. My timing is better which is giving me much better leverage and ball speed. I'm not drifting nearly as much, and I am much more accurate and consistent.

I am now practicing about 30 games a week building up my endurance and stamina trying to get back into tournament shape.

I have done about all I can do as far a self coaching. I thought I would post my videos to see what else I should be working on.

I need to take a moment to talk about me feet before I start my approach. There is a lot of toe wiggling. Just before I start I rock back on my heels. I have tried to eliminate this but starting flat footed does not work for me. Rocking back is how I get my body moving with my pushaway. I consider the rocking back on my heels as part of my approach. The toe wiggling... I'll work on that... :)

Thanks for any guidance.. -Brian

BACK VIEW: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
[youtube][/youtube]

SIDE VIEW: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
[youtube][/youtube]
Last edited by PRGuy on April 26th, 2016, 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: 3-Step Approach

Post by kajmk »

Toe wiggling and tapping ...
This guy's been tapping almost as long as Mr. Bojangles.

https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=Vr-FeOO0SJw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Norm Dukes first step is backwards ...

Betty Morris bounced

https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=-rxiLTtySSo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If it works consistently well enough for you and you are not hurting yourself it's a style ...

Earl Anthony showing, 3,4, and 5 step approaches

https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=KwfJ7sBf1Io" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For a while, Del Warren used a 3, 3 1/2 step delivery, something John Howdy recommended.
I think he won a title with it.

Mike Durbin won Firestone TOC with a 3 step, a 4 step, a 5 step.

Of possible concern is today's need for speed and the fact that momentum supplied by foot work is a vital cog.

I'm not a doctor but suspect the absence of pain has more to do with your conditioning, recovery, and other efficiencies of movement.

This highlights why I urge bowlers to keep a video archive of themselves.
If you were to show you bowling with your former style, it would speak for itself.

Years ago I hand a hand injury. I laid off a year, thought I was ok, I wasn't . It was not so much what I did, it was when I did it.

Jim will analyze and advise and we can all learn from his commentary.

I'm very happy you are able to pursue your passion for bowling.
Many more years of enjoyment and pursuit of your goals.

Cheers.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Re: 3-Step Approach

Post by JMerrell »

Hi Paul and welcome to the site,

Everything i'm reading says you're pretty happy overall with the three step approach.

Notice in slide S4 your ball is still going up as your slide foot is coming forward.

This can also be seen in B3 & B4 from the back.

My suggestion:

In a three step approach the ball position needs to be between the legs, yours is still out in front of the body. (see green lines in slide S2)

As you take your first step rather than go forward with the ball, just allow your left arm to unfold.

This move will position the ball in the proper position relative the your footwork.

Then as you enter the slide the ball will be coming down rather than going up.

This will feel different at first, but comfort will come with repetitions.

Wouldn't change the foot tapping (rocking), just part of what makes you unique.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"