Hello

Have our certified coaches analyze your game!

Moderators: TonyPR, deanchamp, Moderators

Forum rules
In this forum you can post your YouTube videos for the coaches to review.
Users can only create new posts, only Certified Coaches can respond.
Make sure your questions are thorough, registered users can only create new topics and edit, not reply.
If you have a change in your game or would like to reply, you can edit your post then bump it using the BUMP link.
Bowlerintrouble

Hello

Post by Bowlerintrouble »

Hi, I'm new here. I'm a 17-year old high school senior who hasn't bowled regularly in nearly 3 years. For some reason, my "bowling island" (reference to inside out) has come back to life, yet I've had no progress. I'm stuck with a low-rev stroker type game, and just feel uncompetitive vs. the modern power players of today. That's why I've been too scared to come back to the leagues. I know everyone's gonna say "bowling's 90% mental" or something like that, but that's when my personality kicks in. I'm a very pessimistic and introvertive person, and get discouraged easily. I believe I may have a mental illness, as I've been depressed since I was a freshman. So in other words, my fellow players I knew when I did bowl are advancing to new heights, and I'm just stuck on the ground, with my equipment collecting dust. Is there any hope for me? :((((((
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: Hello

Post by kajmk »

Bowlerintrouble wrote:Hi, I'm new here. I'm a 17-year old high school senior who hasn't bowled regularly in nearly 3 years. For some reason, my "bowling island" (reference to inside out) has come back to life, yet I've had no progress. I'm stuck with a low-rev stroker type game, and just feel uncompetitive vs. the modern power players of today. That's why I've been too scared to come back to the leagues. I know everyone's gonna say "bowling's 90% mental" or something like that, but that's when my personality kicks in. I'm a very pessimistic and introvertive person, and get discouraged easily. I believe I may have a mental illness, as I've been depressed since I was a freshman. So in other words, my fellow players I knew when I did bowl are advancing to new heights, and I'm just stuck on the ground, with my equipment collecting dust. Is there any hope for me? :((((((
Welcome to what just may be the best place for you to have landed your cyber bowling shoes upon.
First and foremost, take this from one who knows a bit about depression from walking the lonely walk, seek professional qualified help. You should be able to get some help through your school.
An observant and caring high school noticed a kid who he thought had some problems and got him some school counseling and turned that kids life around. The life has been far from perfect, but it was better because of him. That was back in the 1960's my meanderings back then did not portend a future of any sort. I've managed to stick around for another 50 years or so.
IRONICALLY I was right about your age. Believe me, I was not at all happy.
Get some help and live a long happy life!!!

I remember being 17 an way before that too. You have a lot of wonderful years and many beautiful things ahead of you if you let them happen. Just as in bowling, the START is very important to expedite a successful journey to your goal; STARTING your climb out of your depression is very important. It is the MOST IMPORTANT thing in your life now and always.
ALWAYS avoid the trap of comparing yourself to others at all costs, that is not the path to happiness and fulfillment in any endeavor, especially in the most important game of all, the game of LIFE.
Everyone should be HAPPY.

Words of wisdom follow:

I have a large plaque on my wall with this poem. I read it from time to time.
In your self talk, treat YOURSELF as if you were a younger sibling, be supportive and loving.

Desiderata

Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence.
As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant; they too have their story.
Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.
If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter;
for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Keep interested in your career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
Exercise caution in your business affairs; for the world is full of trickery.
But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals;
and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself.
Especially, do not feign affection.
Neither be critical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness. Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be,
and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.
With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy.

© Max Ehrmann 1927

I first heard this one the radio, Roscoe was a DJ on a local progressive radio station.

[youtube][/youtube]

Now a bit on Bowling.
One key to better bowling is feeling good about yourself and your journey to improvement.
You have to be excited to see what TOMORROW holds and it's many learning opportunities.
Empty your cup, so as to be filled and refreshed.

Two things to do:
Check out the WIKI as a source of reference.
Point one on the WIKI Jim's directions for recording yourself.
Try to get that done and post it here. By now you know Jim is the gift that keeps on giving and a coaching guru and master. He will definitely help you. I promise!!!!

http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... e_Coaching" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Point TWO record yourself as prescribed and wait for Jim's reply, then follow the Bowling Doctor's prescription.

Point THREE and the most important, seek counseling to help you with any depression or things that are gnawing at you, (I HAVE BEEN IN MY OWN PRIVATE ABYSS AT TIMES; listen to the recording, read the poem it has a lot of wisdom within it.

I'll check back later.

Give your self a lot of credit.
YOU ARE 17 AND KNOW YOU DON'T KNOW IT ALL - that puts you at an advantage over many people of ALL AGES.

You have taken an important step. Seek help in the GAME OF LIFE that is secret number one !!!

Take care.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John