Constantly Pulling Ball on Strike Delivery

Have our certified coaches analyze your game!

Moderators: TonyPR, deanchamp, Moderators

Forum rules
In this forum you can post your YouTube videos for the coaches to review.
Users can only create new posts, only Certified Coaches can respond.
Make sure your questions are thorough, registered users can only create new topics and edit, not reply.
If you have a change in your game or would like to reply, you can edit your post then bump it using the BUMP link.
Linknblue
THS Average: 215
Positive Axis Point: 5 x 1/2 up
Speed: 14 to 15 on score display
Rev Rate: 275
Axis Tilt: 18
Axis Rotation: 45
Preferred Company: Storm, Pyramid & Brunswick

Constantly Pulling Ball on Strike Delivery

Post by Linknblue »

What would be the first few things to look to correct if one "PULLS" the ball about two to three boards inside their intended target almost every time?

I've tried pushing ball towards target to adjust swing.
I've tried adjusting timing by lowering and raising pushaway.
I've tried "focusing" more on target.
I've tried "moving" target down the lane to force brain to make me extend to target.
I've tried relaxing swing.
I've tried not hitting up on ball.

I do have more side roll than end over end and "winging" it is one of my issues I fight.

Could this be the root of my evil pull? Going around the ball too soon?

Thanks,
Just looking for something "new" to try.

Linknblue
John H. in Lincoln, CA
PAP =5 over and 1/2" up
Rev Rate = 275
Speed = 14 - 15 on monitor
Axis Rotation = 55 degrees
Axis tilt = 18 degrees
Average = 215 house & 200 sport
55 years of bowling = old guy trying to keep up
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Re: Constantly Pulling Ball on Strike Delivery

Post by JMerrell »

Axiom #1:
1) Distance from the center of the ball to the slide foot at release. (baseline measurement)
2) Depending on degree of lateral spine tilt, individual physiology and style, I find this number to range from 6-8 boards. Figuring out YOUR NUMBER is all that matters!
3) I prefer to use the distance from the inside of the slide foot to the center of the ball. After all the ball does pass closest to the inside of the foot during release. Some prefer to use the big toe, outside of the slide foot, etc…………Doesn’t matter pick a point on the slide foot and establish the distance from that point to the center of the ball at release.

Axiom #2:
1) Misalignment to the target is the first thing I look for when an athlete is consistently not hitting a target they are visualizing during address.
2) While where we start at address on the approach is important………..far more important is where we finish at the foul line relative to our intended target.

In the following presentation, I am using a distance of 7 boards from the inside of the slide foot to the center of the ball during release as my baseline measurement.
(See Figure #1 below for clarification).

Also in my presentation I am using a stroker style athlete who tends to play straighter through the front part of the lane during competitive competition.

Therefore, in this example the athlete is starting out targeting straight down the second arrow.

Based upon our baseline measurement (7 boards) this athlete would need to slide on the 17th board in order to consistently hit the intended target.

Sliding on the 17th board, our athlete will be in the proper position to release the ball towards his intended target. (see Figure #2)

If however, our athlete has no knowledge of this principle the following can happen.

At address the athlete stands on the 19th board visualizing the second arrow as his intended target.

This is very common place as at address the distance from the inside of the slide foot to ball position at address often appears greater than our baseline measurement from the bowler’s perspective at address. (Because the eyes are positioned between the slide foot and the ball position during setup).

So the athlete feels comfortably line up to his intended target and it appears that he should be able to roll the ball to the intended target.

With everyday walking the feet move straight forward underneath the hip sockets.

This is not the case in bowling in particular the approach. The slide step moves underneath the center of the body for balance during release. This movement reduces the distance from our slide foot to the ball.

Back to our athlete positioned on the 19th board at address visualizing the second arrow as his/her target.

Even though this athlete’s eyes may be fixed upon the second arrow as the approach begins.

If this athlete finishes on the 19th board at the foul line……the ball will be left of his intended target. Dictated by finish position minus baseline measurement (19-7=12). (see Figure #4)

The athlete concludes they pulled the ball, when in fact they cannot hit the intended target unless they open up their launch angle. In all probability if this happens the ball will not end up right of the pocket (this statement excludes house shots of course).

The delivery arm should always be perpendicular to the body at release…whether playing straight up the lane or playing left to right (see attachments 5 & 6).

If you made it this far, go out and determine your baseline measurement (may need a friend or better yet a camera/cell phone).

Then practice and focus on where your slide foot is relative to your intended target.

Over and over I have preached the importance of having the head over the ball during release.

Check this out as well with the camera/cell phone during practice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"