Bent elbow - Part 4

Have our certified coaches analyze your game!

Moderators: TonyPR, deanchamp, Moderators

Forum rules
In this forum you can post your YouTube videos for the coaches to review.
Users can only create new posts, only Certified Coaches can respond.
Make sure your questions are thorough, registered users can only create new topics and edit, not reply.
If you have a change in your game or would like to reply, you can edit your post then bump it using the BUMP link.
Xeroqualms
Preferred Company: Storm

Bent elbow - Part 4

Post by Xeroqualms »

Hello once again Jim.

Starting to lose track of the "parts" I've been posting on here lol. It's been a few months since my last past. I've made some progress but still continuing to work on a few things. This summer I tried to focus on spine tilt and my pivot step as you last suggested in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10624" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I still feel like my number one problem is my excessive loft. I have too much elbow bend going into the release, and I am straightening/uncupping far too late. You weren't kidding...This has been extremely difficult for me to overcome. At times it is better, others it is nearly the same as it has been. Here is a video of me throwing a regular shot.
[youtube][/youtube]

However I think there is hope...recently I've been working a lot using the one-step drill since this is the best way for me to create and feel a clean release. I took this video later that day and focused on keeping my elbow straight, and trying to get my thumb out earlier...What do you think? Do you think this is on the right track? You said to me previously (a year or two ago now) that the bent elbow will always be a source of my power, and I agree. I just need to do it more efficiently. This video is probably the cleanest I've ever thrown it.

[youtube][/youtube]

Thanks again for any input you have Jim, you're a very valuable and gifted asset to these forums and this community.
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Re: Bent elbow - Part 4

Post by JMerrell »

Brendan,
Sorry about the delay, life sometimes gets in the way.

Love the shirt….Oh Canada!

I’ve sort of lost track of your posts as well.

I like the one step drill approach…..your release looks very good.

So after watching it a few times I have come with a reason that I believe contributes to why it easy to do in the one step approach…but hard to do in your full approach.

One Step Approach:

1) Body is stationary
2) Ball swung to the top
3) Slide foot moves forward, body weight moves forward
4) Downswing……release and follow through
5) Balanced finish

Five Step Approach:
1) Ball positioned close to body at address
2) Ball moves away from body on first step
3) Ball drops to a lower position with second step
4) By completion of your third step the ball is near the top of your backswing height.
5) This is known as early timing…but many high level players are early at this stage.
6) Back in time on the next step.
7) Now is when the problem begins…..from the top of the swing as the slide foot moves forward
you keep too much body weight back on the right foot.

Note: your right arm is straight in BR5 as the slide foot has started forward.

8) In BR6 there is still too much weight on the right foot and the right arm has started to flex.
9) In BR8 your right arm is straight….but the ball is still on your hand!!!!
10) In BR8 you can see that your body weight never moved forward enough.

Summary
1) The weight hanging back on the right side could be contributing to the flex in the arm.

Solution…..See the slide comparison of Doug’s right knee action compared to yours.

If your body weight has moved forward properly the left knee should pass the toe of the left foot.

See the slide labelled Knee Continuation.

I’ve attached a training aide device you can make out of PVC that will help you release the ball into the lane….. or knock down the PVC. :lol:

Note: Doug's right thigh position could be the legs of a stool that his derriere is sitting on, your derriere would fall off your stool.

Start with the one step drill:
1) Once the swing starts down focus on transferring all your body weight to the left foot as quickly as possible. This means moving the trunk forward as well.

Full approach:
1) Same thought process.......get the weight on the left foot.......keep the right knee moving forward and downward..........close the gap between the knees.

P.S. - Thanks for all the kind remarks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"