Release and timing are my suspects

Have our certified coaches analyze your game!

Moderators: TonyPR, deanchamp, Moderators

Forum rules
In this forum you can post your YouTube videos for the coaches to review.
Users can only create new posts, only Certified Coaches can respond.
Make sure your questions are thorough, registered users can only create new topics and edit, not reply.
If you have a change in your game or would like to reply, you can edit your post then bump it using the BUMP link.
JJakobsen
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Sport Average: 180
Positive Axis Point: 3 1/2 right, 1 1/2 up
Speed: 15.5 downlane
Rev Rate: 450
Axis Tilt: 0
Axis Rotation: 30
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Marvel Pearl
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick Inferno
Light Oil Ball: Storm Timeless
Preferred Company: 900 Global

Release and timing are my suspects

Post by JJakobsen »

Hi! I posted a text only thread about two friends in my local bowling club having issues. The one I have most concerns over, which I named S, for Silje, her name, have a release that is past 90 degrees, so on longer patterns the ball never gets to roll-phase, and it got no power at all.

I got her to get approx 45 degree roll by getting her to try to backup the ball, and she eventually got to 0 degrees when standing at the foul line, and it netted the mentioned 45 degree roll. But she always defaults back to her regular 90+ roll.

I got one video from each side, that is rear, side and front. I also got slowmo videos of these angles, and I will get those below this to separate the videos a bit.

Side view:
[youtube][/youtube]
Rear view:
[youtube][/youtube]
Front view:
[youtube][/youtube]

This girl ir 15 years old, and she is beefy, 14 or 15 poungs thrown in 23-25km/h, on 45' Mexico City with a shortened buffer to 42', she threw in 27km/h. That is almost 17mph. Also got some revs, so she is not the regular down the boards girl in terms of style, but you can probably see that from the vids :)

Slowmo side:
[youtube][/youtube]
Slowmo rear:
[youtube][/youtube]
Slowmo front:
[youtube][/youtube]

Thanks for all help, we both appreciate it!

Jim, Norway

Answer to below:

Thanks for a quick reply, JMerrel! I am 100% sure she could be a national team contender in a year if she continues practicing and doing drills and has fun doing everything! Beefy I mean with all the love in the world, she is tall, strong, heck, she got higher speed than me, and I bet as a 20 year old probably top my 400rpms too lol!

We had one other girl with the same style. She wasn't as tall but she was strong, and she plays like a MAN. High backswing, probably 325rpm, 22-25km/h. I will go as far as to say that girls that want to compete with men, they need to play like men. In the long run precision can't overcome the lack of power, you can after all max precision, but not the combo between the two!

I will get back with bowler M, Maria, probably thursday, we got league tomorrow and wednesday is normally dead so.
Last edited by JJakobsen on October 6th, 2015, 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
68.2353°N 14.5636°E is where it happens!
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Re: Release and timing are my suspects

Post by JMerrell »

jimmydanny wrote:Hi! Silje, her name, have a release that is past 90 degrees, so on longer patterns the ball never gets to roll-phase, and it got no power at all. Reduce her sum by 20 degrees, this will help the ball transition faster. If this isn’t enough reduce the drill angle and make sure you are using enough surface (500 abralon or equivalent for starters).

I got her to get approx 45 degree roll by getting her to try to backup the ball, and she eventually got to 0 degrees when standing at the foul line, and it netted the mentioned 45 degree roll. But she always defaults back to her regular 90+ roll. Sometimes we have to learn to compete with who we are. Reducing the sum/ drill angle should shorten the skid stage. And don’t be afraid of surface…even 360 if necessary till the ball starts transitioning properly.
Jim,
At 15 years old she has very good fundamentals....just not good ball reaction.
Use the knowledgeable people on this site to help with layouts.
If you already know her stats post them in the Pro shop forum for suggested layouts.
Timing looks good and the release is very acceptable.
Strength will come as she gets older.

Reducing the sum and adding surface should help get her ball in the roll phase on Mexico City.

After ball placement in S2, she rests her left hand on her left knee in S3.
After ball placement just keep that left arm where it is at in S2.

Thanks, for sharing her video.....she has a bright future.

P.S. Using beefy could get me in a trouble with the young ladies I coach here in the USA. :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"