1/2 Step Out of Time

Have our certified coaches analyze your game!

Moderators: TonyPR, deanchamp, Moderators

Forum rules
In this forum you can post your YouTube videos for the coaches to review.
Users can only create new posts, only Certified Coaches can respond.
Make sure your questions are thorough, registered users can only create new topics and edit, not reply.
If you have a change in your game or would like to reply, you can edit your post then bump it using the BUMP link.
rocketman1964
THS Average: 220
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/4 over 3/4 up
Speed: 14.5 - 15.5 Monitor
Rev Rate: 260
Axis Tilt: 11
Axis Rotation: 63
Preferred Company: Radical

1/2 Step Out of Time

Post by rocketman1964 »

Hello,

Need some serious help. I am about a 1/2 step out of time and I cannot seem to fix it. I have tried 4 steps, 5 steps, placing the ball in the swing at different times, push away long, short, ball by my side. No matter what I do, my body makes up for it and the last three steps are always about 1/2 step out of time. I am wits end and I just don't know what to do. I just realized that the rear video is a little too zoomed in, but I thought I would post it anyway. The side view seems to be per the guidelines. Maybe you can see what I am talking about with the rear view not being quite right. If need be, I will take some more video next weekend and re-post it. Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]
Rob

RH Wiki Fit:
MF 4 5/8, 3/8 L, 3/8 R
RF 4 11/16, 1/2 R, 3/8 R
Thumb 1/8 Rev, 3/8 L
Axis Tilt 11 deg
Axis Rotation 63 deg
260 Revs
PAP 5 1/4 over 3/4 up
Speed 14.5 - 15.5 Monitor
House shot. Sport or PBA on rare occasion.
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Re: 1/2 Step Out of Time

Post by JMerrell »

Let's first look at your swing:
1) From what can be seen in the video the ball is positioned close your body at address.

2) During your first step the ball moves away from your body.

3) The swing unhinges downward nicely, but looks a little controlled.

4) Swings goes up and downward pretty freely.

The problem as you are aware is that your feet and swing are not in sync.

1) This problem begins when you move the ball away from your body on the first step. Then immediately allow the arm to unhinge.

2) At the completion of the second step your swing is almost ahead of the feet by a full step. At this point the swing should be somewhere within the blue triangle in S3.

3) Everything from this point forward will require compensation to arrive at the foul line in time.

Correcting your timing

1) Shorten your first two steps and try to increase the pace of steps 3 & 4.
2) Keep the ball against the body during your first step.
3) On the completion of the second step, the arm and ball should be positioned as seen in S1.
4) During the third step allow the arm to unhinge and the arm & ball should be in the blue triangular zone. Do not pull the ball up to the top!
5) Make sure you are allowing gravity and the momentum of your approach create the back swing.

Use video or the eyes of a trusted friend to monitor your practice with these changes.

I suggest practice walking through your first three steps slowly over and over again, so that you can ingrain the feeling of the swing being in the area of the blue triangle at the completion of your third step.

Once you get the hang of it post another video.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: 1/2 Step Out of Time

Post by kajmk »

Once upon a time I (the short hairy one with the hat) stumbled into the Bowling Cave of Wonders that is BowlingChat.net
I spied a golden orb on the rack and chanced to rub it.
To my amazement, out popped The Bowling Genie.

Our gift that keeps on giving ...

[youtube][/youtube]
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John