Feedback Appreciated

Have our certified coaches analyze your game!

Moderators: TonyPR, deanchamp, Moderators

Forum rules
In this forum you can post your YouTube videos for the coaches to review.
Users can only create new posts, only Certified Coaches can respond.
Make sure your questions are thorough, registered users can only create new topics and edit, not reply.
If you have a change in your game or would like to reply, you can edit your post then bump it using the BUMP link.
jpolreis
Positive Axis Point: 5 and 3/4 up
Speed: 18.5 off hand
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 5
Axis Rotation: 35
Preferred Company: N/A

Feedback Appreciated

Post by jpolreis »

It has been about two years so thought I'd get another checkup on the changes I've been trying to make in my game. I've committed to myself that I'm going to go bowl bigger tournaments this year and know I need some work to be in tip top shape and with the season beginning in a month for me now it as good of time as any. Thanks for the feedback again Jim and any others who may comment.
[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

REPLY:
First let me say THANKS AGAIN for the comments! I wish we could reply in here but I have a feeling I know why this isn't possible so I'll put this here and hope Jim sees it.

I appreciate you saying I have a great physical game and a lot of what you have addressed (in 2013) I have worked on in the past two years. I always feel if I'm not trying to improve or learn I'd be falling behind. I am now pretty comfortable tucking my pinky to help increase my axis rotation (as you suggested would be easier than increasing tilt) when I need to but the bigger thing I found was that I needed to increase my launch angles and get comfortable with that as well (trusting that the ball will come back, which now isn't a problem).

After a lot of work and some of my own investigation and input from others I too now think that heads are not causing me issues late in blocks and it was how I was trying to attack the lanes and ball choice (and probably more mid-lane issues as you point out below) and of course low tilt and rotation! I actually find myself making up pins now late in tournaments where that never happened in the past.

The only league I bowl is on rotating challenge patterns as it is the only league in town that offers something tougher, the only time I bowl on house shots are during tournaments and most tournaments I bowl on aren't on an easy shot either. I think I do fairly well in tournaments and win my fair share every year (sometimes more than my fair share). Now I'm looking at potentially taking a step up for a couple tournaments (US Open and Masters) and trying to compete against the best in the world.

Since you've never pointed me down a wrong path before I'll take your word that I need give the performance fit I have (got one from Mo about 1.5 years ago when he came through town) another shot at increasing my tilt (didn't like how it felt the first time). I also tried Slowinski ADT drilling and found that increased my tilt and rotation too. I'll play around with both of these fits and see where that gets me. THANKS AGAIN!!!
Last edited by jpolreis on July 18th, 2015, 9:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Re: Feedback Appreciated

Post by JMerrell »

In my previous analysis (2013), I opened with the following comment:

JP you got to be kidding me dude, you have an excellent physical game.
But you have low axis tilt and low axis rotation.

I still stand on those opinions as your physical is not your problem achieving success.
Low rotation and low axis tilt still are !

After some research, I found a post where you were looking for layout help in maintaining tilt and rotation later in the block.

You wrote:
1. I am looking for a layout to retain tilt and rotation for the late games in a block when the heads are starting to go (if not gone)
2. Also looking at relatively tougher patterns and not easy patterns here.
3. I also tend to play tighter lines to the pocket and don't necessarily like to get in and wheel the lane.
4. I would much rather prefer to play 21 at arrows out to 15, than 20 at arrows out to 7.

So let’s address these comments one at a time:
1. The heads are not causing your reaction problems later in the block. You’re off the hand ball speed (18.5 mph), axis tilt and axis rotation are at their highest in the first fifteen feet. At 18.5 mph and a distance of fifteen feet, I don’t think the ball would slow down on asphalt. LOL. Yes, there is some depletion of oil in the head area, a Kegel study years ago using CATS and a team of youth players documented that the greatest depletion of oil happens in the Mid-Lane.

2. There is one Moism that every high level athlete needs to burn into their memory:

"The dominant characteristic of ball motion is when and where the ball loses ball speed during its path down the lane".

So as oil is depleted in the mid-lane and the ball starts losing ball speed closer to the foul line we then lose the pocket. We also lose axis rotation and axis tilt sooner due to the increased friction in the mid-lane, creating problems for low tilt players....sound familiar.

3. An athlete with your physical game should be competing on tougher patterns.

4. As “Eric” told you, you don’t need to get in and wheel the lane…….play what the lane gives you. This would entail a much lengthy conversation.

5. As for playing 21 to 15………you’re asking a ball traveling with a 375 rev rate to come off the end of the pattern at 15 and travel two additional boards (based on pocket at 17) to the pocket. Might be possible on the fresh on a very long pattern (52 feet) ….often referred to as a fall back shot. But, I don’t think this is the ball motion needed to compete on the average pattern you are competing on.

I’m not sure where you are located, but you need to find a qualified pro shop that can give you a performance fit to increase you axis tilt.

If you could increase that 5 degrees of axis tilt to at least 13 degrees, you will make a giant step forward to becoming the hunted rather than the being the hunter.
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"