Switching Ball Weights.

Have our certified coaches analyze your game!

Moderators: TonyPR, deanchamp, Moderators

Forum rules
In this forum you can post your YouTube videos for the coaches to review.
Users can only create new posts, only Certified Coaches can respond.
Make sure your questions are thorough, registered users can only create new topics and edit, not reply.
If you have a change in your game or would like to reply, you can edit your post then bump it using the BUMP link.
viktorahlstrom
Preferred Company: Brunswick

Switching Ball Weights.

Post by viktorahlstrom »

I just recently got a 13lb Brunswick Strike King and had a 12lb Columbia 300 Freeze as a previous strike ball. I can't afford to buy another 13lb and so I'm forced to use the 12lb Freeze as a spare ball. I am able to adjust myself accordingly to use them, but I'm not sure if it's OK to use a 12lb as a spare. I have another 14lb STORM Deep Freeze, but I'm not sure if I should use the 12 or the 14. (The Strike King is completely unable to pick up 10 pin.
If it's of any help, I am a right-handed 13 year old male who weighs 135lb, with an average ball speed of ~10 ¾ mph, and a spare ball average speed of 12 mph (12lb). I use a large amount of hook with my ball considering ball speed, ball release around 20 board and trying to target 3, 2, or 1 board at breakpoint.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: Switching Ball Weights.

Post by kajmk »

Viktor, welcome to the forum! (Joined: April 10, 2015)

What does your instinct tell you?

The most important part of spare shooting is accuracy. Few spares need power, for example spares with double wood. Single pins need barely more than a touch. Some clusters benefit from deflection, like a baby split or a rail.

Control is the issue. Keep the law of extremes in mind, at some point a ball is can be too heavy or too light. You do not want to sacrifice accuracy or the ability to manipulate the ball productively.

Before I forget, check out this short video tip by Mark Baker, the student is young and slight of stature, he was 80 pounds at that time.
I'm not implying this is like your situation, just point it out because ball speed is his issue too!
Listen to the wisdom imparted by Mark!

[youtube][/youtube]

I would caution you that straighter is greater for spares.
At your age, you have so much time to learn, improve, and grow.

Regardless of the bowling ball, practice this:

Here is a bit of wisdom by one of our forum members, Greg Helms.
Greg's Bowling Chat ID is FitDocSr
This is an excellent tip and method.

Put a piece of white tape on your PAP. When you can at least make it face the left gutter (straight ball) you are behind it at release. Dont try to hook it (or dont try to turn your hand). Once you have that under control, then you can start adding turn with the hand.
I teach that you cant hook it properly until you can roll it straight properly. Also helps on spares.

USBC Silver Certified Coach
Brunswick Pro Staff
*The opinions expressed are solely those of the writer and not of Brunswick Bowling & Billiards Corporation

The above is extracted from
posting.php?mode=edit&f=4&p=77063" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gregs tip is and example of working from extremes or exaggeration.
Rolling a ball with axis rotation means the ball has hook potential.
You are young enough to master this.
Some old fossils like me may have firmly entrenched habits or just thick skulls. :lol:

When you can afford it, get a spare ball, it can be a used ball, have it drilled with spares in mind.
Couple the surface, with little to 0 axis rotation, and accuracy and you'll be a spare shooting wizard like Norm Duke or Walter Ray Williams Jr.

Learn, improve, expand your strengths. You have time on your side.

Point of order - balls to not hook, bowlers hook balls. All things in due time.

Speak with your pro shop about reducing surface friction of the ball you will use for spares.
While you can't change the weight block, you can lower surface friction.

Practice plan:
Play a game or games where the object is to hit each pin in the front.
You will be walking the front row.
Example:
Ball 1 shoot the 7 pin - shoot the remaining pins or a pin of your choice
Ball 2 shoot the 10 pin
Ball 3 shoot the 4 pin
and so on.
Later on expand that to shoot each of the pockets.
the 4-7 the 2-4 and so on.

Look at the wiki article on corner pins.
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... he_Ten_Pin" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cruise and peruse the wiki from time to time.

Enjoy yourself and have fun.
Best wishes for many more years improving your game and in turn helping others.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John