Getting to the inside of the ball (and back again)

Have our certified coaches analyze your game!

Moderators: TonyPR, deanchamp, Moderators

Forum rules
In this forum you can post your YouTube videos for the coaches to review.
Users can only create new posts, only Certified Coaches can respond.
Make sure your questions are thorough, registered users can only create new topics and edit, not reply.
If you have a change in your game or would like to reply, you can edit your post then bump it using the BUMP link.
tomf
Preferred Company: Visionary

Getting to the inside of the ball (and back again)

Post by tomf »

Being a more "seasoned" bowler, I was taught to keep the shoulders square to the target line and have bowled that way for a long, long time. With this shoulder position, I simply cannot get my hand to the inside of the ball. My hand position throughout the swing is outside the ball. This results in a high amount of rotation and virtually no tilt at all. Rev rate is probably below where it should be. I have tried to open the shoulders and hips in the stance, and can get closer to behind the ball when I do this. To truly get to the inside, I have to open the shoulders approximately a full 90 degrees. But when doing this I spray the ball everywhere. Sometimes the shoulders stay open and the ball goes WAY outside my target line. Other times they close too early or too much and it's a dead pull. Basically, I have no idea where the ball will go. On the rare occasions when they square up at the proper time, the hand rotates way past the center of mass and the ball has nothing on it. Basically, I'm looking for two options:

1) A reliable way to trigger the proper closing of the shoulders and rotate the hand into (not past) the center of mass.

2) A way to optimize my current method if I just can't get the other way.

I don't know if it makes a difference biomechanically, but I've noticed that with most people their hand faces pretty much towards their side or slightly to the rear when the arm hangs naturally (can see 1-1.5 knuckles when looking down at the hand). With mine, the hand faces almost directly to the rear (can see a good 3.5 knuckles).

I would greatly appreciate thoughts and suggestions.