Grants and funding

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

kellytehuna
THS Average: 195
Positive Axis Point: 3.75", 1" up
Speed: 18
Rev Rate: 480
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 40
Heavy Oil Ball: Morich DestroyR
Medium Oil Ball: Morich Perpetual Motion
Light Oil Ball: Morich Mojave
Preferred Company: Morich

Grants and funding

Post by kellytehuna »

I posted the following on BBE and thought I would post it here also, for those that do not frequent that particular corner of the bowling web!
Hi guys,

A friend and I are working on getting a USBC Youth League started in our area. Being that our area is not the most affluent area in the country, we were trying to come up with ways of at least subsidizing the cost of getting a kids their first piece of equipment and shoes. We figured this would be a great way to grow league bowling in our area and it might give some of these kids an avenue to consider as far College scholarships go.

We're targeting the 12 - 18 year old age bracket. We figured the easiest way to get things started would be to try to get every kid their own entry level ball and their own pair of shoes. We realized that this will incur a minimum of $150 ($50 per ball + $50 to fit and drill + $30 ~ $50 per pair of shoes) per kid, which is why we thought we'd look in to grants and funding from external sources. (This incidentally makes my need to learn how to fit and drill a little more urgent! It might help save some money for these kids)

Does anyone know of a good place to start looking at this kind of stuff? Seeing as I'm not from the US originally I don't really know where to start with grants and what not.

Thanks in advance guys
Father, Husband, Bowler, Web developer

15lb Morich DestroyR, Mania, Perpetual Motion, Craze, Frenzy, Mojave
15lb Radical Yeti
15lb Brunswick Slingshot, Avalanche Urethane

Highest score: 279
Highest series: 818
MattInTheHat
THS Average: 201
Positive Axis Point: 4 9/16 -> 15/16 ^
Speed: 17-17.5 off hand
Rev Rate: 270
Axis Rotation: 75
Heavy Oil Ball: TR2
Medium Oil Ball: QZ1 / TX1
Light Oil Ball: RX1
Preferred Company: Motiv

Re: Grants and funding

Post by MattInTheHat »

My area is mainly working class, not a lot of extra money for things like bowling. Our youth league is very small (8 bowlers) and we have thought about doing a fundraiser to help pay for the cost of bowling. Granted part of the problem here is that there are a number of other activities that are not only popular but are free or close to it. Never really thought about doing a fundraiser to get everyone their own equipment. I'd be interested to hear how that works out, or just other ideas on growing our youth league.
Slap
Certified Coach
Certified Coach

Post by Slap »

First,
great topic! Hopefully there are other youth coaches and or youth program admins who will chime in. It would be great to get a dialog going to exchange some idea.

I'm in a similar situation. Our program is on the decline. I'm told that 4-5 years ago we had 150+ kids. When I joined the program last year we had ~70, this year we're down to 50. We are also losing our higher skilled bowlers to another program. Although our program is located in a major city, we have a variety of issues, and unfortunately funding is one of them.

I guess I should mention that I'm just a coach (usbc bronze) and I have no major administration duties for our program so my comments may be slightly biased. We have a great program director and staff who take care of all the paperwork, finances etc. They have run the program for years and routine tasks run like clock work on their end.

This season we're trying to address our recruitment and retention problems. For me, I think that means we need our bowlers to have fun and to improve. If we can do those two basic things the kids will remain in the program. Also we need to improve the experience for the higher motivated bowlers who want "more."

This past summer I put down my thoughts and ideas on paper and had a meeting with the general manager of the bowling center. The "rumor" was that the bowling center didn't care about the kids, they don't do anything for the program etc etc. The meeting went well, the GM took my ideas to the ownership and they onboard with everything! So far we've had a productive relationship this year.

I'm off to lunch, I'll continue later today.
kellytehuna

Post by kellytehuna »

We actually have plans of sitting down with the owner of the center and asking whether she would consider cutting the kids a deal when they come in for an open bowling session. At the moment, the standard charge is $3 per game, per person. League bowlers get it at $2.50 per game. It's not bad, I guess but it could be a little cheaper. I for one would bowl a WHOLE lot more if it was just $0.50 cheaper. I would love to see the kids get between $1.50 and $2.00 per game.

The way I see it, these kids are the future of the center. If she takes care of them now, they will be more likely to bowl in leagues later on. Also, if we can get these kids performing well nationally (in time) that will help draw bowlers from surrounding counties to the center, again. All these things are huge positives.

I believe we're currently charging $7 per set, per person for league play, which is pretty good I guess. We end up paying $10 per person to cover prize money and to pay the League administration. As far as I know, that will be the same price the kids will also be paying $7 per set, per game also. I would love to see that come down to around $5.

I realize the owner has a business to run, but I'm also well aware that the center is slowly dying. The main income of the center is parties and open play. If we can get this program established now and maintain it for even the next few years, that will guarantee that at least a few of those kids will translate in to adult league bowlers. This is in the best interest of the center over all.

More kids bowling equals more adults bowling in time, which in turn translates to more kids bowling later on!

15lb Radical Yeti

Slap
Certified Coach
Certified Coach

Post by Slap »

Here is what I presented to the GM.
Four Initiatives For Youth Program -Winter '09/'10

Equipment Check
Purpose: Annual recheck of each bowlers grip. This will include span, finger and thumb sizing. For balls with finger grips and/or thumb slugs installed, each insert should be checked for excessive wear. Each ball should also be check for excessive chips, cracks or other potential safety hazards.

Bulletin Board
Purpose: To provide an information and communication medium for league members, parents, coaches and staff. Also, to provide a space to document the achievements of the league members.

Information:
Schedules Travel League and Tournaments including location
Pictures from tournaments and league events
Achievements league and tournaments
Bowling Tip of Week?
Quick facts and trivia

Equipment Donations
Purpose: To set up a system for bowlers to donate equipment to the youth bowlers. This will include advertisement to the league community, create of a collection point and a method to catalog and distribute the equipment.

Weekly Practice Sessions
Purpose: See attachment
Title: Weekly Instructional Sessions (optional)

Purpose: To provide additional instruction to the members of the program in a small group environment with an overall goal to increase individual skill levels of each participant.

Format: 70 minute instructional sessions designed to develop the key fundamentals of the physical game; timing, balance, and leverage. Each session will include a special emphasis on the spare shooting.

70 min Breakdown:

5 min – Team Meeting
The coaching staff will meet with the bowlers and go over the session plan for the day.

5 min – Stretching and Warm Up

20 min – Weekly Drills
There are essential drills that will be performed at every instructional session.

25 min- Lesson of the Day
The lesson of the day will be chosen by the coaching staff and focus on a particular skill or topic.

15 min- Team Building/Spare Shooting

Group Size: (Based on lane and coaching staff availability.) The ideal maximum group size per session is 12 bowlers over 4 lanes with 2 coaches. This would allow 3 bowlers per lane for group drills with the configuration option of 4 bowlers per lane with one lane reserved for individual instruction, video recording etc.
Slap
Certified Coach
Certified Coach

Post by Slap »

Fundraiser was the fifth point, but I decided not to include it this season. Four was enough.

1. Equipment check
This turned out great! The parents were very impressed with our effort. I coordinated with the pro shop and they were happy to assist.

2. Bulletin Board
The owners purchased and installed the board in the concourse. This is working out pretty well. Simple thing, but it's impressive.

3. Equipment Donation
This one isn't really off the ground yet. I'm being honest here

4. Weekly practice session
This one is my baby! I get about 6 bowlers each week. A couple come every week and there others come every other or every third. I'm really starting to see progress with a few of kids.

5. Fund raising
I know this wasn't in my proposal. I haven't done any work on this however, money has begun to come in. It's only a little but it's a start. A bowler that I bowl league with is involved with youth services. He learned of my efforts, decided to get involved and used his resources.

My experiences so far this season is simple. (but not easy) Get organized. Talk to the bowler center, ask them to work with you. Pick a couple goals. Go do them. Even if you have to do them yourself. People will take notice. Good people will want to get involved. Slowly momentum will build.
Graaille

Post by Graaille »

What weight balls do the majority of the youth use/need?
Back into Blogging: http://lifeasjasonharris.blogspot.com/ 80% Bowling, 100% me. (oh hold while working on several other projects -- sorry)

The Gathering 2k16, Winston Salem, NC, July 29-31. Just ask me for more info.
kellytehuna

Post by kellytehuna »

Graaille wrote:What weight balls do the majority of the youth use/need?
We aren't sure just yet. We're targeting 12 - 18 year olds at the moment, so I would assume most of the kids under 16 will be using less that 14lb, with the 12 - 14 year olds being likely to be using 10, 11 and 12 lb balls.

That being said, I'm thinking we will likely be using 11lb, 12lb and 13lb equipment.

@Slap

Yeah, I've realized since beginning the planning for this venture that you really have to approach this like its a business, because it pretty much is. You need to work up a proposal and work out all the logistics before you start implementing anything. I believe the owner will be on board, but I don't want to take anything for granted, hence the desire to meet with her and discuss options. We might even be able to get her to help us subsidize the equipment.

15lb Radical Yeti

Slap
Certified Coach
Certified Coach

Post by Slap »

kellytehuna wrote:
@Slap

Yeah, I've realized since beginning the planning for this venture that you really have to approach this like its a business, because it pretty much is. You need to work up a proposal and work out all the logistics before you start implementing anything. I believe the owner will be on board, but I don't want to take anything for granted, hence the desire to meet with her and discuss options. We might even be able to get her to help us subsidize the equipment.
Good luck!

When I started write down all my ideas for rebuilding the program I finished with a huge list. I picked a few to start with.
scotts33
Positive Axis Point: 4 7/8" > 3/8" up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 325
Axis Rotation: 60
Heavy Oil Ball: Motiv T10 LE 60* 4" 60* no hole symm. OOB pin down

Post by scotts33 »

Kelly,

Since, you are in the state of Kentucky I'd try hitting up Ebonite Int'l and see if they might want to help. I would be worth a try.

Scott