What does the word STRONG mean to you?

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

coasterp
Preferred Company: Motiv

What does the word STRONG mean to you?

Post by coasterp »

I see there is another topic going about what HOOK means. While were at it, I would like to know what others think STRONG means when being used to describe a ball reaction/drilling layout.
Motogp69

Re: What does the word STRONG mean to you?

Post by Motogp69 »

For me hook means a ball that is strong enough to give me some free hook on heavy oil. I don't personally care how many total boards the ball can cover if it has the ability to give me some built in miss on the patterns that matter.
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45

Post by JohnP »

As I understand it, Mo's definition of "strong" is rapid transition from skid to hook to roll. -- JohnP
Amateur
Positive Axis Point: 4 5/8" over, 3/8 up
Speed: 13-14

Post by Amateur »

My definition of a stronger ball/layout is it covers more boards. Mo's definition is technically correct though.
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by JohnP »

You have to be careful in dealing with customers. Usually when they say "strong" they're looking for a big back end, not early transitions. -- JohnP
coasterp
Preferred Company: Motiv

Post by coasterp »

JohnP wrote:You have to be careful in dealing with customers. Usually when they say "strong" they're looking for a big back end, not early transitions. -- JohnP

I am the customer and you are correct. I always thought strong meant big hook and ended up with a couple of balls that were not quite what I was looking for. Now that I have a better understanding, it should help for the future.
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Post by Mo Pinel »

JohnP wrote:As I understand it, Mo's definition of "strong" is rapid transition from skid to hook to roll. -- JohnP

The function of a bowling ball in ball motion is to turn translational energy into rotational energy. A ball that does that the fastest is the strongest in the technical definition. Balls that do that transition from skid to hook to roll the fastest, hence my definition.
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by JohnP »

Your definition is correct. As drillers we have to be able first to determine what the customer really wants (I would prefer to say "needs", but too frequently the customer doesn't really want what he needs) and second, apply double angle theory to choose the layout, remembering what "strong" means. -- JohnP
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Post by Mo Pinel »

JohnP wrote:Your definition is correct. As drillers we have to be able first to determine what the customer really wants (I would prefer to say "needs", but too frequently the customer doesn't really want what he needs) and second, apply double angle theory to choose the layout, remembering what "strong" means. -- JohnP
This is a normal vocabulary issue in different fields. The driller has to get the customer to articulate his/her exact wishes. All part of customer service.
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)
ljocampo
Heavy Oil Ball: RotoGrip Mutant Cell Pearl
Medium Oil Ball: Storm Natural
Preferred Company: RotoGrip

Post by ljocampo »

Hi Guys, Leo here. It's my 1st Post. I am the customer. I'm well read and understand most the technical stuff, but I'm just a customer. I agree with Mo's definition technically, but from a customers viewpoint, it's the end result that counts more. Strong to me is still having the energy left to carry all the pins after the transition that Mo speaks of. To me, if it rolls out too early, it's a weak hitting ball not strong. Strong is just an adjective. Strong hook. Strong backend. Strong roller. Customers just bowl. They want strong carry!

Just a layman's 2 cents. :D
mrbill

Post by mrbill »

As a customer and kinda new to the game I agree with leo on the hand of what a first year bowler would think.> Aswell as being well read on everything bowling I now understand what mo and the crews definition is after 2.5 years bowling now.

I'm new to the site and I like what I see. :ugeek: