How effective was the (pattern length -31 ) formula?

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Athery
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/2 x 7/8
Speed: 16
Rev Rate: 270
Axis Tilt: 10
Axis Rotation: 70

How effective was the (pattern length -31 ) formula?

Post by Athery »

Hi guys,
I do not mean to offend/demerit anyone for this question. I just like to have your opinions on this. Have any of you been using this formula? How effective was it?
Bwill
Preferred Company: Open to all

Re: How effective was the (pattern length -31 ) formula?

Post by Bwill »

In my opinion, this does work in most all cases but you have to also look at where the oil is heaviest at. i do believe that formula was based off the PBA original 5 patterns. it still holds true to the new ones. however some sport condition it doesn't. you can alway use it as a base of where to get the ball at the breakpoint.
Slap
Certified Coach
Certified Coach

Post by Slap »

After reading (and studying) Slowinski's manual, I think the system is effective when used as intended. However I think the BTM articles on the system caused more trouble than good. They were truncated and didn't explain the complete system.

There was a discussion on the on the Hammertalk board. Slowinski registered on the board and provided this response.

Bowling_Coach
Be sure to read the article on the Quiet Eye. I am currently writing a follow-up to this article with some important new findings as well as recommendations on avoiding the choke in important moments or competition settings. The quiet eye is an important element.

You PL - 31 to establish the general area down the lane. In essence, think of having 1 board right and 1 board left at the exit point. For example, your 44 foot example would be something in the range of 12, 13, 14 at 44 feet.

One method to judge 44 - 45 feet is to envision the half way point at 30 feet. Take the distance, in your mind, from the foul line to the middle of the 4th arrow. Now, imagine adding this distance to 30 feet.

If you are on ProAnvilane, the end of the pro target on board ten is approximating this distance.

Now, be sure to choose a focal point that allows the ball to move through the exit point area. With the quiet eye technique, you will be able to more aptly hit the line that you intend.

The exit point provides guidance not absolutes.

(*) If the lane is hooking or has bump, you can play it like it is a shorter pattern. Wood will hook.... Old synthetic are sufficiently scratched enough to have a track. HPL will hook....

(*) Conversely, if the lane seems tight, move in and play it like a longer pattern.

And, general player characteristics will also apply.

(*) A speed dominant bowler needs to play the pattern like it is longer.

(*) A rev dominant bowler needs to play the pattern like it is shorter.

I hope this helps.
Xact1
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2 Over by 3/4 up
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 16
Axis Rotation: 60
Preferred Company: No Preference

Post by Xact1 »

Slap,

I have used the -31 formula ever since I read this information from JS several years ago. It was also taught at least 4 years ago by Jeff Ussery, who was my pro shop trainer but has since moved on to be the brand manager for Hammer.

I find it to be pretty close to what I need to learn where to play on any pattern, including a THS. This, and the quiet eye technique, have allowed me to relax, focus, and hit where I am aiming. In fact, I started using the quiet eye technique during my golf putts and immediately noticed that I got a LOT better.

Remember that the -31 formula only gives you a suggested starting point. Once the pattern breaks down, adjusting is necessary. That's been the hardest part for me to learn: the transition on the PBA patterns on the East Regional tournaments.
Gary Palma
X-act Reaction Pro Shop
Brunswick/DV8/Radical Professional Staff
Ebonite Gold Pro Shop
Rotogrip Star Pro Shop
http://www.xactreaction.com

Performance fitting, bowling ball selection and layouts for YOUR game!
Slap
Certified Coach
Certified Coach

Post by Slap »

Hi Gary,

I know Jeff from his work at Hammer. He attends the larger TNBA events that I bowl every year. He's been very helpful to me via email as well.
Athery
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/2 x 7/8
Rev Rate: 270
Axis Tilt: 10
Axis Rotation: 70

Post by Athery »

Xact1 wrote:Slap,

I have used the -31 formula ever since I read this information from JS several years ago. It was also taught at least 4 years ago by Jeff Ussery, who was my pro shop trainer but has since moved on to be the brand manager for Hammer.

I find it to be pretty close to what I need to learn where to play on any pattern, including a THS. This, and the quiet eye technique, have allowed me to relax, focus, and hit where I am aiming. In fact, I started using the quiet eye technique during my golf putts and immediately noticed that I got a LOT better.

Remember that the -31 formula only gives you a suggested starting point. Once the pattern breaks down, adjusting is necessary. That's been the hardest part for me to learn: the transition on the PBA patterns on the East Regional tournaments.
What you guys wrote is similar to my actual findings. I just recently comeback from the 8th Indonesian Open 2010. The pattern was 39ft, 2.23:1 ratio. So 39-31 = 8th. I started around 8th and noticed that when playing around 8th I couldnt carry well. I later discovered that the best area was 9th board. Hence I start noticing and think that the formula give a + or - 1 board. But I was not confident of this finding so I post this question here. I didn't qualify for the finals. In the finals, I looked at Shalin Zulkifli from Malaysia (as my style is bit similar to hers). She was also using the 9th board as her break point.

Now, for those using the quiet eye and focal point system, did your focal point changed as you found the actual breakpoint?
dline300
THS Average: 201
Speed: 17
Rev Rate: 325
Heavy Oil Ball: Brunswick Siege
Medium Oil Ball: columbia 300 Burst
Light Oil Ball: Brunswick Slingshot
Preferred Company: Brunswick,Ebonite,Columbia 300

Post by dline300 »

For me this is one of the things I use to find my line I want a pretty much straight line from my target to my breakpoint. This may be a different thing but using a three point target can help with pl-31. Here is a link to an article by Joe Slowinski about using 3 point targeting on kegel training center's website
http://kegeltrainingcenter.com/v2/foArt ... KodYazi=10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What ever comes next I'll be ready for