Acuuracy and the rev challenged

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

paulv
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
THS Average: 220
Positive Axis Point: 4 3/4 on midline
Speed: 15-16
Rev Rate: 300
Heavy Oil Ball: Defiant Soul
Medium Oil Ball: Scream
Light Oil Ball: Sream
Preferred Company: Roto Grip

Acuuracy and the rev challenged

Post by paulv »

Do rev challenged player tend to be more accurate? Why or Why not
PaulV
magicmike
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 4-1/2"> 3/4"^
Speed: 17 off my hand
Rev Rate: 325
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Jackal Ghost, Forge Flare
Medium Oil Ball: Forge Fire, Jackal Flash, Venom Shock
Light Oil Ball: Supra, Desert Tank
Preferred Company: Motiv

Re: Acuuracy and the rev challenged

Post by magicmike »

I wouldn't say they tend to be more accurate but to be competitive they need to be more accurate. With todays game accuracy is losing some of its importance, especially if you have power, it makes being accurate hitting an area and not a board anymore.
NJStroker

Post by NJStroker »

i am really rev-challenged, and i know the ONLY way i have a chance is to be accurate. even on house shots i cant spray it everywhere because if i get it outside and it does come back, a lot of the times i'll go soft ten. This has always helped though because i'll be at 205 on house shot, lose horribly in a tournament, then if theres a sport shot tournament, i'll be at 185-190 and be in top 4 in almost every local tournament. i do believe that to be good when your rev challenged, especially as much as someone like me is, you have to be more accurate.
Sawbones
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Sawbones »

All rev challenged bowlers are at a disadvantage today even if they have accuracy as their strong point.
When they compete with those who can rip a ball with some degree of accuracy they will not be in the hunt. As we know just hitting the pocket is no assurance of getting a strike.
There only hope is they have enough ball to get a fair number of strikes and with their accuracy are good spare shooters.
Rest In Peace
Passed 10/20/2009 - Muskogee OK
Age 83
Oklahoma State Hall of Fame
NJStroker

Post by NJStroker »

Sawbones wrote:All rev challenged bowlers are at a disadvantage today even if they have accuracy as their strong point.
When they compete with those who can rip a ball with some degree of accuracy they will not be in the hunt. As we know just hitting the pocket is no assurance of getting a strike.
There only hope is they have enough ball to get a fair number of strikes and with their accuracy are good spare shooters.
definitely bones, its ridiculous when i'll go 220 because of ten pins and 7 pins, when other people will go 270+ spraying it more than i am.
JessN16
Positive Axis Point: 5 over, 2 down
Speed: 14 at the pin deck
Rev Rate: 400
Axis Tilt: 9
Preferred Company: Right now, Storm/Roto/900G

Post by JessN16 »

On a tangent somewhat, but what I find interesting is how this argument gets twisted when it's applied to new technology.

I had an older bowler complain recently about how back in the 60s/70s, bowling favored the guys who could impart revs and power on the ball, and that today's game brought the low-rev folks into the picture.

Now, I see here most seem to believe that revs are a necessity in today's game or you're toast.

I think the point to make is that revs/power has ALWAYS been important in bowling, no matter the era.

As to the original question, yes, accuracy is needed more an more as revs decrease. And if you can develop that accuracy, it really helps you on fresh sport shots, because in my experience those guys drop off far less than the rev-it-at-the-gutter guys.

Jess
Pinbuster

Post by Pinbuster »

I’ve seen many inaccurate revolution challenged bowlers.

I’ve seen many accurate higher revolution bowlers.

Accuracy is based as much on good fundamentals as it is on the number of revolutions imparted on the ball.

I believe a higher percentage of high revolution bowlers are inaccurate but that is mostly due to the fact that many of them use too much force in their swings to achieve the revolutions and undermine fundamentals.

Plus on today’s easier conditions the higher revolutions cover up inaccuracies and fool bowlers (both high and lower revolution) into believing they are more accurate than they are. So they see no reason to change.
CLT2244
THS Average: 199
Speed: 15.5-16
Heavy Oil Ball: Mutant Cell / 930T
Medium Oil Ball: Nomad Pearl
Light Oil Ball: Clear Wolf
Preferred Company: Roto Grip

Post by CLT2244 »

now i believe i can speak from the other side of the aspect, being a high rev bowler myself, it is quite easy to get caught up in the THS that requires you to just throw it at the gutter, watch it hook and strike (even though its a 9 pin for me)

accuracy has been the biggest flaw in my game and i know it, it has hurt not only my line when i get on a tighter shot but it has also hurt my spare game, any power or high rev bowler gets to "hide" some of there fundamental flaws cause they can "overpower" the lane/pattern (not the best choice of words but its all i could think of atm)

to go back to the question, i believe that less revs means more dependency on there accuracy, therefor making them more accurate bowlers
Only throwing the good stuff, Roto Grip/900 Global
mmcfarland300

Post by mmcfarland300 »

Being one of those lesser reved bowlers I can say it doesn't make me more accurate but I have to be more accurate to be competitive.
"Another day will bring a different result"
"Pick your battles because stressing over things will not change an outcome"