Back swing height

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

SomyP
Preferred Company: Storm

Back swing height

Post by SomyP »

I guess I have a fairly high back swing. The reason for it is I developed the style and height as a junior bowler. My ball speed was only 11-13 mph and I was topping it severely. So in order to gain speed I went online, studied videos and tapes, read books about elite level bowlers and how to get more ball speed. I heard Randy Pedersen say to generate more speed get the arm up higher. Pete Weber is one of my idols in the game and he has a huge swing which is another reason for my huge swing. At one point my swing was vertical. Now I know this is not ideal as it creates for me timing issues, and shoulder issues. I learned with a friend of mine that I simply have too much forward lean and bending at the waist. This is an issue that I'm working on correcting and being more vertical. I know now that using your legs and gravity are the key to ball speed not your arm. I'm not saying a high back swing is a bad thing, I'm saying do what works best for you. What works best for is to decrease forward lean, lower the swing, and loosen up the swing as this creates better timing for me. What is your back swing height, and what do you feel about high back swings?
Nsane
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
THS Average: 190
Positive Axis Point: 5 3/16 - 7/8 up
Speed: 17
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 13°
Axis Rotation: 55°
Heavy Oil Ball: Brunswick Tenacity, Radical Tremendous
Medium Oil Ball: Guru mighty,
Light Oil Ball: Motiv venom cobra
Preferred Company: Radical

Re: Back swing height

Post by Nsane »

I raised my Backswing from hipp to shoulderlevel to be able to let it fall and keep my hand relaxed. Thats a good key to free swinging.
A free Pendel usual do never create pain or injury. But if a high swing is muscled it will be a potential reason for problems. A too low swing (buttlevel) force also muscling.

Thomas
Ducati what else?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
nice people press +
kboveington
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 5 7/16 right ⅜ down
Speed: 20-21 mph at foul line
Rev Rate: 550
Axis Tilt: 5
Axis Rotation: 55
Medium Oil Ball: storm IQ tour pearl
Light Oil Ball: rotogrip scream
Preferred Company: storm/roto grip

Post by kboveington »

My backswing is about 1 foot because I am a 2 handed bowler. However I do use a thumb on most spares. In a traditional thumb in ball swing I try not to let it get higher then my head. I know when it gets too high I know I muscled it back and I usually muscle it through the down swing creating bad timing, and errant shots. Left handed I have a big problem with the backswing getting too high. Also having too much forward spine tilt especially early in the swing can make the backs swing appear higher than it really is. Still working hard on my left handed game though. Even knowing what I am trying to accomplish it seems harder to build up skill as quickly with the opposite hand.

When I help others or give tips I recommend the gravity swing. I wouldn't worry about the height of the backswing too much but be more focused on a nice loose swing that is perpetuated by gravity. * note this is impossible with a bad fit- or gripping the ball to tight* Ball speed should be a byproduct of your speed generated with your legs and being in good timing throughout the approach.
Make spares make cut, miss spares miss cut. " Bill O'Neil "
56bird

Post by 56bird »

I guess the ball gets a little higher than my shoulder?

[youtube][/youtube]

Just gravity, I do nothing to encourage or limit it. If I'm looking to drop ball speed I lower the ball in my address position, seems to do the trick.