Kamron Doyle at the US Open!

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

kwettig
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
THS Average: 212
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2 over 5/8 up
Speed: 17
Rev Rate: 380
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 60
Heavy Oil Ball: Morich DestroyR
Medium Oil Ball: Morich HookR
Light Oil Ball: Motiv Venom Strike
Preferred Company: Morich

Kamron Doyle at the US Open!

Post by kwettig »

I can't believe this kid is 14 years old! 6 pins behind the likes of WRW Jr. And inside the cut line with one more block left on the fresh. So, just for fun I'm throwing 12 games tonight on the pattern to see if I can get within 200 pins of this kid. Should be fun! And everybody should get on extra frame and check out the bowling. It is definitely a learning experience.
Kyle Wettig
IBPSIA Adv. Certified Tech.
Breakpoint Pro Shop
New Richmond WI
kwettig
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Re: Kamron Doyle at the US Open!

Post by kwettig »

Well, about 100 behind him after 6. 1089(190,162,196,179,181,181). DestroyR first two games and HookR since then. Started about 18-12/13, lay down around 22. End of 6th I'm 22-13/14 lay down around 27. 42% strike percentage, 87% single pin(14/16), and missed two multi-pin spares I should've made. This is all I want to practice on. The challenge is fun. I am however glad I'm not crossing pairs as I'm sure my scores would be a little lower, though there would be more friction. Although I'm doing a pretty good job throwing it around a bit...
Kyle Wettig
Breakpoint Pro Shop
New Richmond WI
kwettig
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by kwettig »

Ugh! Maybe the burn is easier for some folks...not so much for me. Just couldn't find a look once I got around 5th arrow. I think I lost focus after about game 8 and never recovered. So anyway, 2148(224,182,153,190,133,177). 5 bagger game 7 courtesy of 2 Brooklyn's and couldn't help but think of that awful hambone song they play on xtraframe. Lots of work to do, 230 pins behind Kamron Doyle which is still ok, good for 247th out of 394. Let a lot of pins slip away and I look forward to practicing on this again soon. Hopefully I can improve, at least I know what parts of my game I need to work on!
Kyle Wettig
Breakpoint Pro Shop
New Richmond WI
guruU2
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by guruU2 »

If one has talent and maturity and has been PROFESSIONALY cross trained and prepared than one should do well. Most bowlers at the Open are typical house bowlers; egos who are not that talented and do not seek out PREFESSIONAL training and thus are not prepared. Therefore. . . . .
-Gary Parsons
If one does not know one's product, one can not manage nor promote the product one does not know.
Mike
THS Average: 206
Positive Axis Point: 6.25?x1?
Speed: 18 off hands?
Rev Rate: 275
Axis Tilt: 4
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Brunswick Fiery Siege
Medium Oil Ball: Roto Grip World Alliance
Light Oil Ball: Ebonite Agressive Motion SS

Post by Mike »

Are scores usually this high after 3 rounds? I was surprised to see them this high.
kwettig
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by kwettig »

Sorry Gary, while I agree with you that most bowlers who are conditioned to perform on tougher patterns will always outperform the best "house shot" bowlers, what this kid has done is incredibly impressive. I can't imagine the pressure of bowling in your first US Open let alone doing it at 14 years old. I give this young man all the credit in the world as he has competed with some of the best in the world and he isn't phased by that in the least. This sport needs stories like this and it would be a huge disservice to the sport by denying the talent this young man posseses.
Kyle Wettig
Breakpoint Pro Shop
New Richmond WI
guruU2
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by guruU2 »

kwettig wrote:Sorry Gary, while I agree with you that most bowlers who are conditioned to perform on tougher patterns will always outperform the best "house shot" bowlers, what this kid has done is incredibly impressive. I can't imagine the pressure of bowling in your first US Open let alone doing it at 14 years old. I give this young man all the credit in the world as he has competed with some of the best in the world and he isn't phased by that in the least. This sport needs stories like this and it would be a huge disservice to the sport by denying the talent this young man posseses.
I have no arguement with with your position but Kamron is no ordinary 14 year old. I have watch him bowl a couple of times. First, he IS extremely talented. He really throws the the ball GREAT. He is a learner who is not afraid to bowl on tougher patterns against better bowlers. He is NOT your typical 14 year nor your typical "house bowler". He is GOOD and wants to be GREAT and knows he can not be GREAT doing the "house shot thing". I give him a lot of CREDIT. My post was a generic observation and a message to one of my bowlers who insists on doing it his way.
-Gary Parsons
If one does not know one's product, one can not manage nor promote the product one does not know.
Dax
THS Average: 230

Post by Dax »

kwettig wrote:Ugh! Maybe the burn is easier for some folks...not so much for me. Just couldn't find a look once I got around 5th arrow. I think I lost focus after about game 8 and never recovered. So anyway, 2148(224,182,153,190,133,177). 5 bagger game 7 courtesy of 2 Brooklyn's and couldn't help but think of that awful hambone song they play on xtraframe. Lots of work to do, 230 pins behind Kamron Doyle which is still ok, good for 247th out of 394. Let a lot of pins slip away and I look forward to practicing on this again soon. Hopefully I can improve, at least I know what parts of my game I need to work on!

Kwettig - that is a lot of dedication right there!

Wish I could get a shot like this to try! :)

Maybe I could sneak out a 150 average
"You see only what you look for; you recognize only what you know"

There are many worlds out there. Some of them can be accessed through reading. Encourage reading - T.A. Sankar

http://www.tasankar.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bahshay

Post by Bahshay »

Impressive showing by Doyle. Finished 61st, but hes officially made money in bowling tournaments than I have :lol:

Unfortunately, Jack Jurek had a rough day today. Went from 8th before today to 32nd and missed the cut. Kimmo Lehtonen also had a tough day. He looked to be well into the cut until he fired a final game 16x and missed the cut by a few pins. Chris Barnes and Missy Parkin did the opposite, coming from under the cut to shoot two of the higher blocks today and finish in the top 10.

Got Xtra Frame to watch the event, and enjoyed it more than I thought I would. It has some serious flaws (such as not showing who is bowling, what their score is, what frame they are in, etc), but it was still entertaining as long as you are following along with the scores on PBA.com.
PAP- 4 1/8 over, 3/4 up
Speed - 17-18 monitor
Rev Rate - 475
Rotation - 65
Tilt - 12
jaydee

Post by jaydee »

guruU2 wrote: I have no arguement with with your position but Kamron is no ordinary 14 year old. I have watch him bowl a couple of times. First, he IS extremely talented. He really throws the the ball GREAT. He is a learner who is not afraid to bowl on tougher patterns against better bowlers. He is NOT your typical 14 year nor your typical "house bowler". He is GOOD and wants to be GREAT and knows he can not be GREAT doing the "house shot thing". I give him a lot of CREDIT. My post was a generic observation and a message to one of my bowlers who insists on doing it his way.
No ordinary 14 year old in the sense that he also has a 2 lane alley and a kegel Ion in his house.
guruU2
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by guruU2 »

I have heard that. Do you think the bowling media will reveal this?

Amazing, is in it, that the two teenagers (Kamron D and Andrew K) who have done so well in the Open just happen to have access to home bowling centers and Kegel machines. Still an accomplishment but with a slight different interpretative twist.

Life is. "Fairness" is derived from living and thus in-and-of-itself "life" can not be fair nor unfair.

My original post stands.
-Gary Parsons
jpj6780
Positive Axis Point: 4-5/8" over 1/2"up
Speed: 17 hand
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 16
Axis Rotation: 50
Heavy Oil Ball: Roto Grip Theory 48/4.25/47 p3
Medium Oil Ball: Perpetual Motion 65/2.25/25 p3
Light Oil Ball: Mojave 70/4.25/47

Post by jpj6780 »

I'm with you. Sure there are some big advantages to having access to the best coaches and having a bowling center in your own house, but all of that goes out the window when you have to perform with pressure. I don't see it as being that different from a golfer who grew up with the 5th teebox in his back yard -- he can go and practice just about as much as he wants, but what percentage of young golfers with unlimited access to a golf course end up competing (and cashing) in the U.S. Open at the tender age of 14. Don't think it's ever happened. There have been many golfers who made it to the US Open as teens, but more often than not, they don't stand up to the pressure and the difficulty of the playing environment. Kamron Doyle is a very special athlete. If he can remain humble and keep his incredible work ethic, he will be very special, indeed.

There have been many "prodigy" athletes, however, who let it get to their heads. Willy Korn comes to mind. He was the #5 QB recruit in the nation out of high school. I believe he set every QB record in South Carolina. He led his HS team to two state titles and a 39-3 record as starter. You probably never heard of him, though. He didn't make much of a quarterback at Clemson. His advice to his high school running back and friend, Marcus Lattimore, upon the start of the younger's college career -- (paraphrasing)- 'never think you're better than anyone - assume that everyone is bigger and better than you and work your tail off every day to beat them' -- Lattimore did just that.

Let's hope Doyle's immense talent never gets to his head.
guruU2
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by guruU2 »

jpj6780 wrote:Kamron Doyle is a very special athlete. If he can remain humble and keep his incredible work ethic, he will be very special, indeed.
True!
jpj6780 wrote:Kamron Doyle is a very special athlete. If he can remain humble and keep his incredible work ethic, he will be very special, indeed
Agree!
jpj6780 wrote:'never think you're better than anyone - assume that everyone is bigger and better than you and work your tail off every day to beat them' --
Total agreement- the GREAT ONES, in all fields, assume this. Whether one is a Bill Gates in business or a Chris Barnes in bowling. Discipline purposeful practice, and LOTS of it, is THE only WAY to the top and staying on top. End of conversation.

My original post stands.
jpj6780 wrote:Let's hope Doyle's immense talent never gets to his head

Time will tell.
-Gary Parsons
LookingForALeftyWall

Post by LookingForALeftyWall »

kwettig, what's the volume of the us open pattern? anyone else know?
kwettig
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by kwettig »

22.2 from the pba experience pattern.
Kyle Wettig
Breakpoint Pro Shop
New Richmond WI
LookingForALeftyWall

Post by LookingForALeftyWall »

Thanks!

For some reason, I thought it would be a higher volume pattern.