Sorry, I have to tell someone-Goal Accomplished-Late

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

dunnlw
THS Average: 214
Positive Axis Point: 4 3/8 x 1 3/8^
Speed: 16+ mph off the hand
Rev Rate: 280
Axis Tilt: 15*
Axis Rotation: 65*
Heavy Oil Ball: Enigma, 716T, Dark Encounter
Medium Oil Ball: Omen, Game Breaker, Violent Eruption
Light Oil Ball: Freeze Solid, Cyclone
Preferred Company: Ebonite International Brands

Post by dunnlw »

Some of you may recall in a post a good while back that I had set a goal to have 25 sanctioned 700 series before age 15. Well I didn't make it, even though in the weeks leading up to my 15th birthday I had been shooting all around it with series of 668, 682, 678, but just couldn't get over the hump.

Today, 15 days past my original goal it finally all came together, and it was actually worth the wait. I was bowling in the Open Division of the SoCal Junior Amateur Tour (JAT) http://www.bowljat.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. I normally bowl in the JAT Farm Club, but because my partners average and mine combined exceeded the cut-off we had to bowl in the Open Division. On top of the fact that many of the youth adult partners made the event look like it could have been a PBA Regional, I had managed to find a pretty good partner for myself, Vince Wood.

The format was 5 team games, then a cut to the top 10 teams for 5 more games of Baker format match play, then cut to top 4 for stepladder single game elimination in Baker format.

I opened with games of 239, 256, 221 for 716 and my 25th sanctioned 700 series. I know they are not officially recognized by the USBC as honor scores, but many State & Local Associations still recognize a female 700 series as a special achievement, so I keep track of them.

My partner opened with 247, 258, 246 for a not to shabby 751. We went on to finish the 5 games of qualifying at +353 for an average of 235.3 and a commanding lead over the second place team that was as +280 averaging 228.

Vince and I continued a strong performance in the 5 games of Baker match play, with wins in all 5 matches and firmly in the #1 seeded position. As the 2 & 3 seeds moved into the 5th frame of their match we were allowed to warm up on a separate pair. We had watched how the lanes had broken down, and came up with a plan on how we would attack the lanes during the Championship match. Both of us had used the same ball all day only making adjustments with our feet and target. I was throwing a Storm Frantic, and Vince was throwing the new Ebonite Pursuit (He is on the Ebonite Staff so he has the ball early). Our plan of attack was quite simple, move deeper inside, playing between 25 & 20 using some of the oil still remaining up the middle to create hold, and allow the layouts of our balls to make the turn into the pocket when they hit the dry on the back. Honestly Vince was a bit further left than that, but he has the hand, and I have to say that the Pursuit's back end motion was impressive in his hands.

We won the Championship match easily, giving me not only my 25th 700 series, but also my first JAT Open Division Title.

It was a good day :D
Ashley N. Dunn
Age 16
I Bowl
Member of Junior Team USA Developmental Squad
State/National/International Champion
High Game 300
High Series 770 (44 700 Series To Date)
LookingForALeftyWall

Re: Sorry, I have to tell someone-Goal Accomplished-Late

Post by LookingForALeftyWall »

Congrats and keep it going!!!
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Keep them coming.
glssmn2001

Post by glssmn2001 »

dunnlw wrote:
I opened with games of 239, 256, 221 for 716 and my 25th sanctioned 700 series. I know they are not officially recognized by the USBC as honor scores, but many State & Local Associations still recognize a female 700 series as a special achievement, so I keep track of them.

Congrats on your accomplishment and I am sure you have many, many more ahead of you. I know that the USBC does not have a 700 as and honor score, but, in my mind and I am sure many will agree, a 700 series from anyone, male or female, is still an honorable achievement. To have 25 at age 15 is something special....
Last edited by glssmn2001 on February 27th, 2012, 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45

Post by JohnP »

Great bowling, congratulations!!! -- JohnP
Joe Falco
Preferred Company: AMF

Post by Joe Falco »

Congratulations Ashley .. fantastic bowling ..
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Post by JMerrell »

Congratulations Ashley,
I couldn't think of a better place to share it than with all of your friends and fans here on BowlingChat.
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"
spmcgivern
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 4 3/4" and 1/4" up
Speed: 17-18 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 400

Post by spmcgivern »

glssmn2001 wrote: Congrats on your accomplishment and I am sure you have many, many more ahead of you. I know that the USBC does not have a 700 as and honor score, but, in my mind and I am sure many will agree, a 700 series from anyone, male or female, is still an honorable achievement. To have 25 at age 15 is something special....
Actually, I think they still record 700 series for girls under their achievements on bowl.com. I think this particular tournament wouldn't count towards that list.

Either way, CONGRATULATIONS on a great performance. One down, many more to come I'm sure.
dunnlw

Post by dunnlw »

spmcgivern wrote: Actually, I think they still record 700 series for girls under their achievements on bowl.com. I think this particular tournament wouldn't count towards that list.

Either way, CONGRATULATIONS on a great performance. One down, many more to come I'm sure.
No, I wish they still counted them. If they did my Achievements page would contain 25 of them. Look at my page and you will see, USBC # 5730-24021. The only way you will see a 700 series listed is if an 11 strikes in a row game or a 300 game series happens to be 700 or more. As for the tournament counting. The first 5 games of the tournament were individual scores, just added together as a team, not baker format. The tournament is a USBC sanctioned event. The USBC rules state that a sanctioned series in tournament play is any 3 consecutive games in groups of 3. For example games 1, 2, and 3 counted as a series, but games 2, 3, and 4 would not have counted as a series. Games 4, 5, and 6 if there had been 6 would have counted as a series. This rule holds true if someone were to bowl an 800 series in a sanctioned tournament.

Thanks for congratulating me. I appreciate it.
Ashley N. Dunn
Age 16
I Bowl
High Game 300
dunnlw

Post by dunnlw »

Here is a link to the finals if anyone is interested. Not any amazing camera work here, as my father simply set it up, then got away, so just a stationary back view of the pair. I haven't really watched or listened to the video. The camera was sitting on the table with Paula Vidad and some friends of hers, I have no idea what they might have said.

Watch how smooth Vince is, and he wasn't really even working at it.

Enjoy.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ashley N. Dunn
Age 16
I Bowl
High Game 300
TH58PZ700U
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
THS Average: 194
Positive Axis Point: 5" Right, 1/2" Up
Speed: 17.25 mph (avg off hand)
Rev Rate: 340
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50
Heavy Oil Ball: Taboo
Medium Oil Ball: Arson
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer (2001)
Preferred Company: Hammer

Post by TH58PZ700U »

Great bowling and congratulations! You are a bright future for the sport and will have much success in your years to come!
USBC Certified Bronze Coach

PAP: 5" Right, 1/2" Up
Speed: 17.25 (avg off hand)
Rev: 300-360 rpm (340 avg)
Axis Tilt: 15-25*
Axis Rotation: 30-70*

High Game: 286
High Series: 693
spmcgivern
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 4 3/4" and 1/4" up
Speed: 17-18 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 400

Post by spmcgivern »

dunnlw wrote: No, I wish they still counted them. If they did my Achievements page would contain 25 of them. Look at my page and you will see, USBC # 5730-24021. The only way you will see a 700 series listed is if an 11 strikes in a row game or a 300 game series happens to be 700 or more. As for the tournament counting. The first 5 games of the tournament were individual scores, just added together as a team, not baker format. The tournament is a USBC sanctioned event. The USBC rules state that a sanctioned series in tournament play is any 3 consecutive games in groups of 3. For example games 1, 2, and 3 counted as a series, but games 2, 3, and 4 would not have counted as a series. Games 4, 5, and 6 if there had been 6 would have counted as a series. This rule holds true if someone were to bowl an 800 series in a sanctioned tournament.

Thanks for congratulating me. I appreciate it.
I guess things have changed lately. My girlfriend has her 700s from Juniors still on her achievements page. As wonderful this achievement is (the 25 700s), don't limit your goals to "scores".

Focus on the process and not the result and shooting 700 will begin to lose its luster when the 800s start happening.

Keep up the great work and hopefully I don't have to bowl against you in the future.
SpaceCadet
THS Average: 215
Positive Axis Point: 5 over, up 3/8
Speed: 19.3 at the line
Rev Rate: 323
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Roto Grip Hyper Cell, Storm Zero Gravity
Medium Oil Ball: Motiv Venom Shock, IQ Tour Pearl
Light Oil Ball: Roto Grip Rumble
Preferred Company: Roto-Grip

Post by SpaceCadet »

I see 800 things in your future, Tweety. Like rings, and plaques, and more titles.

Oh, yeah...and lots of recruiting letters from people like UMES, AL A&M, Wichita, Nebraska....and on and on.

Good bowling!
In the bag: * Roto Grip Hyper Cell * Storm Zero Gravity * Storm IQ Tour Pearl * Storm IQ Fusion * Storm Victory Road Solid * Brunswick Slingshot * Track 100P*
jjones
THS Average: 196
Positive Axis Point: 5" over 1/16" up
Speed: 17 mph off hand
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 8
Axis Rotation: 30
Heavy Oil Ball: Guru Supreme
Medium Oil Ball: Rave On
Light Oil Ball: slingshot
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by jjones »

Congrats and continue to bowl great.

I want to be just like you when I grow up.
ReaX V2 Solid
ReaX V2 Pearl
Yeti Uncaged
Yeti
ReaX Pearl
Grease Monkey POW
Grease Monkey
Polyester Spare ball
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Kudos Ashley.

No reason to be sorry, it's always nice to share ones accomplishments with people who can appreciate them.
We had watched how the lanes had broken down, and came up with a plan on how we would attack the lanes during the Championship match. Both of us had used the same ball all day only making adjustments with our feet and target.
A wise man once said that "Luck is the residue of design" ;)

Continued grow and success.

P.S. Ever hear of an Andy Varipapa 300? :)

P.P.S. You'll have to find a special Celebratory Tweety icon when you roll your fist 800!!
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
Dax
THS Average: 230

Post by Dax »

Congrats Ashley.

Excellent bowling!
"You see only what you look for; you recognize only what you know"

There are many worlds out there. Some of them can be accessed through reading. Encourage reading - T.A. Sankar

http://www.tasankar.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;