Board index » General Forums » General Bowling

Post subject: PBA Experience League...
 Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:42 pm Post Number: #1 Post

Reputation Power: 1
I'm in one that just started this last week. 10 weeks,5 patterns(Cheetah,Scorpion,Viper,Chameleon,Nationals pattern). We're starting with the Nationals Pattern. I'm a recreational bowler and am doing this purely for the experience. Last week was a real eye opener as to what goes on outside a THS...I started with my normal position,2nd dot from the left with feet, mark: 3rd arrow from right out to 5ish board, to see how to adapt and seen the ball just fall into the gutter. As I moved thru the 1st game I was 12 boards right with my feet hitting 2nd arrow, down and in, before I was consistant in the pocket. I was using a JigSaw Corner.
They put the coming weeks shot out on a pair of lanes on Sunday mornings now so you can practice on it if you like. So I went 2day for some practice and was with a group of 8 guys just working the shot. I started with a Motiv TR2 ,pin under ring MB kicked out about 45 deg small weight hole mid grip line about 4" from mid center of grip. left at OOB finish. It reacted very well and was getting to the pocket with alot of energy. About 1/2 way thru 2nd game I switched to a JigSaw,it wasn't coming around at all so I switched to a Rogue Cell with a Rico Drill @2000 abralon with a lil bit of adjustment with the feet,left 2-3 boards, it was heading right into the sweet spot. It was predictible through the whole motion. I'm gonna start the same way Tuesday and see how it works out... I"ll keep adding each week of this league and tell of my experiences with it. Any Comments or suggestions would be great. Again only a novice been bowling again now for 2 years after 20 years away. And not afraid to admit I'm taking lessons to better myself to achieve personal goals,200 ave,300 game,700 & 800 series.

Post subject: Re: PBA Experience League...
 Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:21 pm Post Number: #2 Post

congrats on taking the leap to learn about the SPORT of bowling. That is one thing the USBC got right when they called it Sport bowling. Bowling at the league level is purely recreational and a game.

Straighter is usually greater on ALL these patterns early. Are they showing the videos during practice? Are you familiar with how each pattern plays?

Axis rotation: 55
Speed: 15.5-16 at the decks
PAP: 5R, 1/4U

Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:11 am Post Number: #3 Post

Nope not showing any videos....No I'm not familiar with the layouts but did look them up on line...2nd week on the Nationals pattern went very well shot a 560, my team shot up 10 down n' in and burned a line in then went a swingin... It was fun...This weeks pattern is Scorpion, I shot 3 games on it today up 10 again slower speed and with my feet just right of center. shot 190,160,180 I was shotting solo so I know it will break down faster in league so I'll have to adjust sooner...they other 2 on my team have experience shooting the patterns and they do give me advice on adjustments so I have that going for me as well..Plus I can call my coach he's a Pro now on the Senior Tour,doesn't bowl with the kids anymore(haha), and he has plenty of info as well...I'm loving the challenge to be consistant on my shot, it's only gonna help me with the regular THS leagues...

Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:46 am Post Number: #4 Post

fufu wrote:
congrats on taking the leap to learn about the SPORT of bowling. That is one thing the USBC got right when they called it Sport bowling. Bowling at the league level is purely recreational and a game.

Straighter is usually greater on ALL these patterns early. Are they showing the videos during practice? Are you familiar with how each pattern plays?

Well said Fufu. I would recommend doing some research on the patterns, watch the videos and such, but don't necessarily walk in with a plan on how you are going to play the lanes for the first night on a pattern. The lane surface and oil machine that your center uses will make a difference in how the shot plays compared to the video. We bowled the first of 6 weeks on Shark pattern last week and I had a great look to start playing straight up 10, then the shot went away. I fished around for the next couple of games and then made a big move outside and changed back to an aggressive ball and played off the corner and had a decent look for the rest of the night.

Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:50 am Post Number: #5 Post

You will find out that, when you bowl sport you will need control (layout wise, pin under). A split will be the difference between a +game (200 or more) or a -game (199 or less). Find a coach and dial in your spares. That is the BIGGEST difference factor. I am big on spares, the strikes will come, and you can have mistakes if you close your frames. I think of spares as confidance, if you can't pick them up, you don't have any.

All sport bowling does is, makes sure that each attempt at throwing a ball is with the utmost consentration, and conviction. Your release, timing, targeting will need to be consistant to get your average higher.

On the Bench:
'Ntense, Awesome Revs, & other MoRich Balls
Retired:
Awesome Hook, Awesome finish

Posted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:57 pm Post Number: #6 Post

I agree with spares being the benchmark to a good bowler. Sport conditions make you be at your highest level at all times!

Board index » General Forums » General Bowling