national pattern

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

steve s
Preferred Company: none

national pattern

Post by steve s »

Any word on what the pattern is going to be this year ? Steve S
SpaceCadet
THS Average: 215
Positive Axis Point: 5 over, up 3/8
Speed: 19.3 at the line
Rev Rate: 323
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Roto Grip Hyper Cell, Storm Zero Gravity
Medium Oil Ball: Motiv Venom Shock, IQ Tour Pearl
Light Oil Ball: Roto Grip Rumble
Preferred Company: Roto-Grip

Re: national pattern

Post by SpaceCadet »

Steve,

The word from USBC National is that they will not post the shot until March 1st. For me, that's bad news: I bowl the first team event on March 3rd, which means I will have little time to look at the shot or to drill up a piece that I think will work, or to set up my existing equipment to handle whatever's put out.

When I emailed Matt Cannizzaro asking about that and urging USBC to publish the shot even a week earlier, he basically told me to drop dead, that it was my problem, and if I didn't think it was fair, I could arrange to bowl later.

I can't imagine why USBC is having problems getting teams to register early or to spend money to go to Reno.
In the bag: * Roto Grip Hyper Cell * Storm Zero Gravity * Storm IQ Tour Pearl * Storm IQ Fusion * Storm Victory Road Solid * Brunswick Slingshot * Track 100P*
ch_flash
THS Average: 220
Positive Axis Point: 5" - 1/2"up
Speed: 16.5 on monitor
Rev Rate: 400
Axis Tilt: 18*
Axis Rotation: 45*
Heavy Oil Ball: VBP Immortal Solid, Particke Centaur, Marvel-S
Medium Oil Ball: VBP AMB Bronze Centaur, Violet Gargoyle, FMG,
Light Oil Ball: VBP Blue/Green Centaur and Ogre SS, N.B. Crossover
Preferred Company: Visionary Bowling Products

Post by ch_flash »

SpaceCadet wrote:Steve,

I can't imagine why USBC is having problems getting teams to register early or to spend money to go to Reno.

Could be the people that are working there. Had an official go off on a guy on my pair, I thought he was very unprofessional and should have been asked to leave. We complained, but I think it did no good. I think his name was Ralph. Fat guy with darker hair. If you do something that he doesn't like, he'll stare you down until you get pissed and confront him. Then threatens to kick you out of the tourney. What a real jerk.
I hope he is not there this year.
Right handed
PAP - 5", 1/2" up
16.5 mph on monitor
18* tilt (measured track)
400 rev rate
45* axis rotation
High Game- 300
High Series- 814

If you didn't like that strike, watch this one![/color]
http://visionarybowling.com
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Post by Mo Pinel »

SpaceCadet wrote:Steve,

The word from USBC National is that they will not post the shot until March 1st. For me, that's bad news: I bowl the first team event on March 3rd, which means I will have little time to look at the shot or to drill up a piece that I think will work, or to set up my existing equipment to handle whatever's put out.

When I emailed Matt Cannizzaro asking about that and urging USBC to publish the shot even a week earlier, he basically told me to drop dead, that it was my problem, and if I didn't think it was fair, I could arrange to bowl later.

Sounds like good PR! That is his job, isn't it.
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

steve s wrote:Any word on what the pattern is going to be this year ? Steve S
The reality of it is that the final details of the pattern won't be decided until they work on it at the Stadium, just prior to the first squads.
SpaceCadet
THS Average: 215
Positive Axis Point: 5 over, up 3/8
Speed: 19.3 at the line
Rev Rate: 323
Axis Tilt: 13
Heavy Oil Ball: Roto Grip Hyper Cell, Storm Zero Gravity
Medium Oil Ball: Motiv Venom Shock, IQ Tour Pearl
Light Oil Ball: Roto Grip Rumble
Preferred Company: Roto-Grip

Post by SpaceCadet »

Mo,

Thanks for the reply. I understand that USBC usually develops the pattern very late - just before the tournament starts, but I have a couple of questions. In Matt C's email, he told me the pattern was tested in several areas before they arrive at the Stadium. So, don't they already have a pattern in mind and just need to verify it with Kegel, and make a decision on oil viscosity, etc? It would seem to me they could easily decide what scoring pace they're looking for and publish even just a few days earlier. Why would it take long to decide what to do and put the chart up on the web?

But, I'm not nearly as knowledgeable as you, so I'd really like your opinion on that.

Thanks!
In the bag: * Roto Grip Hyper Cell * Storm Zero Gravity * Storm IQ Tour Pearl * Storm IQ Fusion * Storm Victory Road Solid * Brunswick Slingshot * Track 100P*
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

SpaceCadet wrote:Mo,

Thanks for the reply. I understand that USBC usually develops the pattern very late - just before the tournament starts, but I have a couple of questions. In Matt C's email, he told me the pattern was tested in several areas before they arrive at the Stadium. So, don't they already have a pattern in mind and just need to verify it with Kegel, and make a decision on oil viscosity, etc? It would seem to me they could easily decide what scoring pace they're looking for and publish even just a few days earlier. Why would it take long to decide what to do and put the chart up on the web?

But, I'm not nearly as knowledgeable as you, so I'd really like your opinion on that.

Thanks!
If they announce it prematurely, they can get egg on the face, if they change it. This is about playing it safe. They cannot change it once the tournament starts. My info is very accurate.
dtb300
THS Average: 220
Positive Axis Point: 5" Flat
Speed: 15
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 10
Heavy Oil Ball: Theory, Virtual Gravity, NVD
Medium Oil Ball: Nomad Dagger, Mission
Light Oil Ball: Bash
Preferred Company: Ebonite, Storm, Roto-Grip

Post by dtb300 »

I am going to guess the pattern will be close to last years, considering they are at the same place - Bowling Stadium. It was 40ft last year with 26+mL of oil.

It played slick for fresh conditions with breakpoints around 8-10. The traditional fallback shot was scoring for some, but I saw better scores with people starting to play more outside on the fresh.

Balls with too much surface just did not seem to work well for the people I was watching. Something around 2000 or so, using stronger covered equipment with layouts that were not too jumpy seemed to do well on the fresh.

Singles and Doubles provides the greatest challenge for choosing equipment as it really depends on who you follow and how much they break down the pair.

This is my opinion on the matter....

And yeah, USBC always waits for the last week as they test and tweak the pattern for the tournament. Sucks for first week bowlers, but it is what it is.
kevinracefan

Post by kevinracefan »

it doesn't seem to change all that much... bring what you think will work, bring it shiny, and bring pads if you don't like to use shiny stuff... KRF