The PBA's Chris Paul Invitational

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

SpaceCadet
THS Average: 215
Positive Axis Point: 5 over, up 3/8
Speed: 19.3 at the line
Rev Rate: 323
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Roto Grip Hyper Cell, Storm Zero Gravity
Medium Oil Ball: Motiv Venom Shock, IQ Tour Pearl
Light Oil Ball: Roto Grip Rumble
Preferred Company: Roto-Grip

The PBA's Chris Paul Invitational

Post by SpaceCadet »

Hi there - this is my first post on BC.net - after lurking for a short while.

Does anyone have a problem with how the PBA was presented during Super Bowl Sunday's broadcast? I hoped the hour-long show would put the PBA in a good light, but everything I saw was pretty bad, from the quality of the bowling to the impression it left that just about anybody could step on a lane and bowl with the pros. I'm all for opening the tent and welcoming more people in, but this is not the way to go. Not IMO, at least.

I didn't like the fact that only ball players or rappers were the non-pros. I didn't like that only one ball company chose to participate. It was just a long Storm commercial. (and I like Storm products, but....!)

Anyone else? Anyone actually like the show? If so, why?
In the bag: * Roto Grip Hyper Cell * Storm Zero Gravity * Storm IQ Tour Pearl * Storm IQ Fusion * Storm Victory Road Solid * Brunswick Slingshot * Track 100P*
gparks
Preferred Company: motiv

Re: The PBA's Chris Paul Invitational

Post by gparks »

i did watch it,but was left feeling a little let down.but then it was for charity after all..

chris paul means well and yeah it was all storm promoting and such...i just hope they payed out to the charity well.

wonder how rough that was for rhino losing out in that challenge :) i know me just as a house hack would have taken that hard lol.
Joe Falco
Preferred Company: AMF

Post by Joe Falco »

One of the few shows I DIDN'T watch .. watched it last year and didn't think much of it .. figure it wouldn't be something I'd learn from so I found something else to do! Understand it's all for Charity but don't think it's what Bowlers want to see!!!
NOTE: couldn't locate SPELL CHECK .. sorry for spelling errors!
mozarkian
Preferred Company: none

Post by mozarkian »

It is good to have something out there that shows people can have a good time bowling. Just hope that not too many first timers get discouraged when they don't get as many strikes as the clowns on this show did.
guruU2
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by guruU2 »

Since it is marketed as "fun and games"- not much. Could be marketed different and the results generated for bowling-as-an-institution would be greatly enhenced. Part of the great decline as a result of leadership NOT knowing their product.
My themes for the past 20 years:
1. Bring in managers who know bowling and will establish an "one-on-one authentic" relationship with the customers and
2. Market bowling as a sophiscated sport.
Projection: watch bowling recover.
What leadership done for the past 40 years: increasing done the opposite of 1 & 2 above with the results be a diaster and borderline criminal.
Here is your reference points to contemplate: The year is 1983:
1. What is the population of the United States?
2. What is the membership of ABC/WIBC/YABA?
3. What is the viewer rating for the PBA?
Now precess to the current year, 2011:
1. What is the current United States population?
2. What is the USBC membership?
3. What is the viewer rating for the PBA?
Simple definition of insanity- doing the same thing over and expecting different results.
And I have been told over and over by "leadership", I do not understand how to market within the mores of the current mass viewership.
Well, in this case, numbers do not lie.
Gary Parsons
PS: does any one really believe that show generated any level of real long lasting curiosity or appreciation for the game/sport of bowling?
-Gary Parsons
If one does not know one's product, one can not manage nor promote the product one does not know.
StrikeTheory
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
Heavy Oil Ball: Motiv Cruel or Mutant Cell Pearl
Medium Oil Ball: Rising Star
Light Oil Ball: Silver Recon or Frenzy

Post by StrikeTheory »

I thought it was all in good fun, and I found myself laughing quite a bit during the telecast.

A couple of 'fun' events is exactly what bowling needs. Of course I'm sure rating were down, since Superbowl pregame starts the night prior, and a lot of people were likely watching it instead.
SpaceCadet

Post by SpaceCadet »

Gary - you nailed the most critical question of all: did it pay off for the sport? In my mind, absolutely not. So it was 'fun and games.' Yeah, I guess that's ok if you want to waste an hour watching people goof off. Yeah, it was supposedly for charity.

Did anyone hear or see anything about that? I mean except for when Nelly said 'It's for the kids' a couple of times?

When he said that, I wanted to know a couple of things: how much money was going to 'the kids,' and what was it used for? If CP generated a lot of cash for his foundation, that's something the PBA should publicize. If the money is used for education, for better classrooms, etc...and bowling gets the credit, that's something that should have been explained. It was neither on the show nor on the PBA's media release.

I'm not saying the telecast should have turned into a sob-a-thon like the one for Jerry's kids, but without that key element - highlighting the charity and showing what the money is used for - the show basically turned into nothing more than watching otherwise higher paid athletes and rappers making fun of pro bowlers.

It was demeaning. Come on, PBA! You can do better!
In the bag: * Roto Grip Hyper Cell * Storm Zero Gravity * Storm IQ Tour Pearl * Storm IQ Fusion * Storm Victory Road Solid * Brunswick Slingshot * Track 100P*
Joe Falco

Post by Joe Falco »

Space ... you make some excellent points!
scotts33
Positive Axis Point: 4 7/8" > 3/8" up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 325
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 60
Heavy Oil Ball: Motiv T10 LE 60* 4" 60* no hole symm. OOB pin down

Post by scotts33 »

I'd guess that since that weekend coincides with Super Bowl. ESPN needs some fluff to fill air time before game so they like bowling fluff. Between PBA and ESPN a decision was made not to have a tourney on Super Bowl weekend. Hence, you get this made for TV fluff. No, it's not for nitty gritty keglers but made for the masses.

Watch XtraFrame this week if you want to see nuts and bolts bowling at USBC Masters.
ronhoppe
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
Preferred Company: International Art of Bowling

Post by ronhoppe »

Seems like on all message boards there is a lot of finger pointing. This was the Chris Paul Invitational...Charity. It was not a PBA event. Storm was there because they put up the money to be part of the Charity. The event had something for everyone that bowls.
SpaceCadet

Post by SpaceCadet »

With respect, Ron, it was a PBA event. It's (or was) the first article on PBA.com immediately after the event.

PBA owns this. As a member, I don't like how it's handled.
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Post by MegaMav »

I think this is what you're looking for SC.

http://news.pba.com/post/2011/2/6/Belmo ... pions.aspx
guruU2
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by guruU2 »

CPI- developed, promoted, owned? by the PBA- a PBA event for sure- it is the illustrative example of the direction all of bowling has taken for nearly 40 years. The result: with the exception of an increase of the very cusual bowler the numbers continue to drop and the numbers that are needed to sustain the industry are dropping like a rock. IT IS TIME FOR FINGER POINTING: until the leadership accepts what they have done, go thru a period of atonement and come out with a fresh, but tradional, understanding of their product, bowling-as-an-institution will continue to decline. Its that simple: bowling has been mismarketed for 40 years by leaders who do not know how to manage a product they do not understand. Go back to my previous post: fill in the numbers and tell me who understands what has happen and what will happen.
-Gary Parsons
-Gary Parsons
If one does not know one's product, one can not manage nor promote the product one does not know.
SpaceCadet

Post by SpaceCadet »

Wish I'd have written that. Nice job, Gary.
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Post by MegaMav »

Great post Gary, thanks for taking the time.
spillup24
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by spillup24 »

I think a lot of you people need to lighten up. It was a charity event held by Chris Paul for the FOURTH year in a row. Obviously it is doing something or they would not continue to have it. I think having people like Chris Paul, Nelly, Lil Wayne gets other cultures to watch the sport that normally would not.

We all know the PBA tour is on the verge of going under. They didn't even have enough tournaments to fulfill their ESPN television contract. That is why we had three nights of televised World Champioship coverage and also why their is going to be three nights of US Open TV coverage. It's all so they can honor the television contract that the PBA could not fill with weekly tournaments.

THE Chris Paul tourney is fine...It is no more ridiculous than the Pro Bowl, NBA All Star game or NHL All Star game
guruU2
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by guruU2 »

Spillup24-
Actually the CPI, in and of itself, is fine and could be a great way for the PBA to be associated with a popular charty event, if done properly, but the CPI-itself is not the real issue here. Unfortunately the CPI is a symbolic representation of what the PBA, in particular, and bowling-as-an-insitution in general, has devolved into- a "fun and game" presentation with no real essence that it could be grounded in. Bowling-as-an-instution has done this as a 40 year mismarketing program: to remove what the essence of bowling is about, that is, a serious well played sport that requires talent, skill and brains to played on a world class level- not, as presented, the escapist fun activity that it has devolved into and most of us who are serious about the sport are tired of this devalued "fun and game" show always being marketed down our thoats, in one way or another, by "Leaders" who do not know, nor appreciate, bowling-as-a-sport and by the same folks who do not know how to manage the institution they know little of. I hope this explanation makes sense to you and explains were a large number of us are coming from.
-Gary Parsons
-Gary Parsons
kwettig
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
THS Average: 212
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2 over 5/8 up
Speed: 17
Rev Rate: 380
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 60
Heavy Oil Ball: Morich DestroyR
Medium Oil Ball: Morich HookR
Light Oil Ball: Motiv Venom Strike
Preferred Company: Morich

Post by kwettig »

guruU2 wrote:Spillup24-
Actually the CPI, in and of itself, is fine and could be a great way for the PBA to be associated with a popular charty event, if done properly, but the CPI-itself is not the real issue here. Unfortunately the CPI is a symbolic representation of what the PBA, in particular, and bowling-as-an-insitution in general, has devolved into- a "fun and game" presentation with no real essence that it could be grounded in. Bowling-as-an-instution has done this as a 40 year mismarketing program: to remove what the essence of bowling is about, that is, a serious well played sport that requires talent, skill and brains to played on a world class level- not, as presented, the escapist fun activity that it has devolved into and most of us who are serious about the sport are tired of this devalued "fun and game" show always being marketed down our thoats, in one way or another, by "Leaders" who do not know, nor appreciate, bowling-as-a-sport and by the same folks who do not know how to manage the institution they know little of. I hope this explanation makes sense to you and explains were a large number of us are coming from.
-Gary Parsons
Agreed! People don't take the sport seriously enough. It's become an excuse to have a "night out" usually accompanied by plenty of drinks. Not that there's anything wrong with the drinks part...but I get frustrated when I have to bowl against people who could care less how they bowl. The only way to get real competition is in serious tournaments. Leagues focus less and less on the competition and challenge of the sport and more on ridiculous scores and a good time.
Joe Falco

Post by Joe Falco »

Strange .. but I agree and disagree with the way this is coming across! I agree the charity event was a good thing but I don't see why it had to be put on TV .. did it earn more because of the broadcast? If it cost the PBA money to get this show going then that money should have been better spent on it's members!

Yes I do think we have to get out and have the public talk about bowling. We have to get to schools and promote bowling! We have to push more discounts for juniors .. get more coaches to visit junior leagues .. all these things (in my opinion) would benefit bowling .. how does a Charity event push bowling? Perhaps it does and I'm blind to the facts!
spillup24
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by spillup24 »

Well, getting back to the actual topic. I don't think the invitational hurt at all because I am sure not may people viewed it. I mean barley anybody watched the TOC and that was on ABC.

I had zero problem with the event. This was the fourth year that it has been run and everybody that was there seemed to enjoy it and that is what matters. It is only one event a season. It is not a big deal at all.

The PBA itself needs to get major sponsors back again so they can have more tournaments. Maybe like a beer company or something like that. In any case I think the PBA tour may be extinct on TV soon and pretty much it will just be a regional tour. Unless it somehow becomes an Olympic sport....but that is wishful thinking.