cross eye dominance

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

brunswickroller
Preferred Company: Brunswick

cross eye dominance

Post by brunswickroller »

I struggle with this, I am a righty and left eye dominant and it is causing me issues

lately I have tried angling my entire body to the right(slightly) and moving my head over to try and line my left eye up with my swing and target/line, have had better results, but it doesn't feel right lining up like this to throw straight spare shots or a down and in line

any tips or advice with this?

-BR
17.5 mph
Tilt 10*
AR 75*
RPM 345
PAP 4 7/8" x 1/4"^

highest competition series: 741
highest competition score: 290 x2, 289 x2 288 x2, 287, 286 x2

Owner http://www.front11clothing.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mozarkian
Preferred Company: none

Re: cross eye dominance

Post by mozarkian »

After sixty years of right eye dominance I went blind in my right eye and had to change the way I look at the world. I will enjoy the coaches' answers to your question. I can tell you for sure that when you first make most adjustments to your delivery they feel awkward but only sticking with it will yield results.
blueraider86

Post by blueraider86 »

I deal with this too. Instead of looking at the arrows, I spot at the dots. Its a lot easier than having to look 15 feet down lane. I have no depth perception so looking too far down lane is almost impossible for me.

BR86
crazyjim
Preferred Company: all

Post by crazyjim »

Moving your head slghtly to the right is ok but I don't know about leaning the entire body. You probably need a coach to watch you to see if there is something in your push-away/armswing that is giving you the targeting issues. My problem ended up being that I was wrapping my swimg around my back thus getting out of the four inch swing slot. After the coach pointed this out I no longer had problems hitting my lne consistently.
Revkiller
THS Average: 210
Positive Axis Point: 4 11/16 over 3/4 up
Speed: 16.5 - 17.
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 70
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Virtual Gravity
Medium Oil Ball: Roto Grip Nomad Solid / MoRich Frenzy
Light Oil Ball: MoRich Mojave
Preferred Company: Storm / MoRich

Post by Revkiller »

brunswickroller wrote:I struggle with this, I am a righty and left eye dominant and it is causing me issues

lately I have tried angling my entire body to the right(slightly) and moving my head over to try and line my left eye up with my swing and target/line, have had better results, but it doesn't feel right lining up like this to throw straight spare shots or a down and in line

any tips or advice with this?

-BR

Check out Slowinski at Large - he has published an intereting artical "Targeting for Cross-Dominant Bowlers: What CATS Revealed About the Most Effective Targeting Methods"

http://bowlingknowledge.info/index.php? ... &Itemid=46" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If 'pro' is the opposite of 'con' what is the opposite of 'progress'?
laddog54
THS Average: 209
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/16" over x 11/16" up
Speed: 16
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 25
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Cell
Medium Oil Ball: Grand Illusion
Light Oil Ball: Grenade, AMF Orbit Extreme
Preferred Company: Roto Grip

Post by laddog54 »

I have been blind in my right eye since I was 12 weeks old and have found that my ball angle is always less than what my eye tells me. Ex if I am looking 15 to 5 for my line to the break point the ball usually travels 15 to 8 or so. I just have to remember this and make my moves accordingly, sometimes that means hitting 14 instead, sometimes it means looking 15 to 2 but the ball will be 15 to 5.
brunswickroller
Preferred Company: Brunswick

Post by brunswickroller »

i've read that article, thanks for the link, very interesting indeed

lately I think I have been doing better by turning my head some and lining up my left eye with my target/shoulder/swing, hard to remember to do this 100% of the time, especially when you suck like I do and have to remember and tell yourself to keep head down, follow through LOL, all in good time I guess :mrgreen:
17.5 mph
Tilt 10*
AR 75*
RPM 345
PAP 4 7/8" x 1/4"^

highest competition series: 741
highest competition score: 290 x2, 289 x2 288 x2, 287, 286 x2

Owner http://www.front11clothing.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
steve s
Preferred Company: none

Post by steve s »

I worked with a guy one time that was left eye dominate and a right hand player ....He was always 2-3 boards left of where I ask him to hit...he always told me he hit the spot I ask for...we did a little test and found out his problem and compensated by looking 2-3 more boards right of where he wanted to hit and he was always spot on then ....It was a coaching issue not a bowling problem ...We had to get on the same page ....Steve S