Changing Balls

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

HughScot
THS Average: 170
Speed: 14
Medium Oil Ball: Storm Hy-Road pearl, Storm Tropical Breeze, Hammer Taboo

Changing Balls

Post by HughScot »

I am currently using a Brunswick Avalanche Solid. This is the only ball I have ever used since starting to bowl three months ago. I am considering buying a new ball and my question is, should I buy a top of the line ball, I'd like to, or should I get a ball that is not as strong due to my status as a beginner? Cost is not a consideration.
kellytehuna
THS Average: 195
Positive Axis Point: 3.75", 1" up
Speed: 18
Rev Rate: 480
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 40
Heavy Oil Ball: Morich DestroyR
Medium Oil Ball: Morich Perpetual Motion
Light Oil Ball: Morich Mojave
Preferred Company: Morich

Re: Changing Balls

Post by kellytehuna »

It really depends on what you want to do on the lanes. Are you buying a ball to complement the Avalanche, or to replace it?

Like so many new bowlers, I went out and bought a strong ball as my first ball, a Columbia 300 Arch Rival. With no understanding of what I was asking for, I told the pro shop operators to give it as much length as possible. Well, they did their job! LOL! With my very low rev rate and reasonable speed, that thing skidded and hooked JUST in front of the head pin, forcing me to play down the gutter.

A few months later, I bought an even stronger ball (Brunswick Twisted Fury) and asked the same guys to drill a little stronger, not understanding that pearlized gear goes much longer than solid gear (I didn't even know the difference at this point), so they did and I ended up with pretty much the same ball twice! The only difference: the Twisted Fury snapped a little harder on the back end.

A few months later again, during summer league, I bought ANOTHER even stronger ball (Brunswick Siege) and got drilled as strong as possible. I can't use this ball in my house. LOL! It's too strong on the backend and crosses over no matter how deep I get.

Why am I relaying this story to you? Be sure of what you want and be sure to convey that to your pro shop operator. Make sure you understand the basic reaction shape of the ball and strength of the coverstock. Granted, just about any high performance ball you get is going to look like a hook monster compared to an Avalanche. To be honest, I'm actually considering buying an Avalanche, or Power Groove. I need something that is a little less jumpy in the backend.

Be sure to MAKE to have them watch you bowl. That is the only way they're going to understand your current game and what you want to achieve with the new ball. And have them measure your PAP, or do it yourself and have them lay the ball out relative to your PAP. Any layout not based on your PAP and your not necessarily going to get what you want and paid for. Granted, your PAP will move as you get more consistent with your release, but it will give you a starting point for now.

Anyone else?
Father, Husband, Bowler, Web developer

15lb Morich DestroyR, Mania, Perpetual Motion, Craze, Frenzy, Mojave
15lb Radical Yeti
15lb Brunswick Slingshot, Avalanche Urethane

Highest score: 279
Highest series: 818
HughScot

Post by HughScot »

Thanks for the excellent answer. I would like to replace the Avalanche. Nothing really wrong with it but it was my first and has been drilled three times; and I'd like to try something "better". It will probably take a strong ball to make me realize the difference in bowling balls. When I see the difference by going from one extreme to another I'll have a better understanding of what is best for me.
kellytehuna

Post by kellytehuna »

Happy to help. I figured it would be useful to relate my story, because I made many mistakes in ball selection, layout selection and arsenal construction. There is a HUGE overlap between my Twisted Fury and my Arch Rival, then a massive gap between them and my Siege! LOL! One thing I should have mentioned: make sure you get a polyester spare ball. With practice, you should be able to any single pin leave dead on the nose throwing straight at it. If you hook at single pin spares, you have to take stuff like carry down and pattern break down, but if you go straight, no such problem. :)

15lb Radical Yeti

HughScot

Post by HughScot »

I figured I'd just use the Avalanche for single spares. I can throw it straight as an arrow............sometimes straight to the pin :lol:
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Post by Mo Pinel »

HughScot wrote:I am currently using a Brunswick Avalanche Solid. This is the only ball I have ever used since starting to bowl three months ago. I am considering buying a new ball and my question is, should I buy a top of the line ball, I'd like to, or should I get a ball that is not as strong due to my status as a beginner? Cost is not a consideration.
Hugh,

A two ball arsenal would really illustrate the difference in motion potential that exists between balls. Please PM me to continue this discussion. I have some solid ideas that I would like to discuss with you concerning this double purchase. Yes, the Avalanche would make a great spare ball. You need someone to watch you that can get ALL your accurate delivery specs. I'll be awaiting your message.
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)
kellytehuna

Post by kellytehuna »

HughScot wrote:I figured I'd just use the Avalanche for single spares. I can throw it straight as an arrow............sometimes straight to the pin :lol:
I hear ya! LOL! I still have a few issues with spare shooting, but I'm getting there.

15lb Radical Yeti

fufu
THS Average: 230
Positive Axis Point: 5 right, 3/8 up
Speed: 16
Rev Rate: 320
Axis Rotation: 55

Post by fufu »

The Avalanche Solid is a great piece......fwiw. I was pleasantly surprised at the hit and carry of that ball. I would certainly consider moving up to the mid priced line, like a Rattler..
http://www.rotogrip.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.facebook.com/Round-Holes-No ... 602077080/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Post by Mo Pinel »

fufu wrote:The Avalanche Solid is a great piece......fwiw. I was pleasantly surprised at the hit and carry of that ball. I would certainly consider moving up to the mid priced line, like a Rattler..
The RATTLER is an under utilized, GREAT ball, especially for higher track players (lower rotation and tilt).
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)