Young idiots at my local...

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

kellytehuna
THS Average: 195
Positive Axis Point: 3.75", 1" up
Speed: 18
Rev Rate: 480
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 40
Heavy Oil Ball: Morich DestroyR
Medium Oil Ball: Morich Perpetual Motion
Light Oil Ball: Morich Mojave
Preferred Company: Morich

Young idiots at my local...

Post by kellytehuna »

Last Friday I went in to the center to finish up some plug work on and redrill a couple balls. It took me a couple hours to cut everything down and redrill both balls. I ended up redrilling my Avalanche Solid 50 / 3.25 / 55 to give it a little more use in my center.

Anyway, I decided to take it out on the lanes to see how it rolled and I gotta say, I was happy with the result. On really broken down shot, it was getting through the heads and picking up nicely in the midlane with good continuation. Exactly what I was looking.

Unfortunately, just 2 pairs down, there were a bunch of kids (they looked like they were around 16-17 or so) and after watching me throw a couple of warm up shots they started to hoop and holler at me just as I got to the line and laughing hysterically. After the third time, I turned around looking straight at closest kid, told him "F**k off!" and gave him the bird and walked back to the ball return! LOL! I don't usually mind too much when kids a hooping and hollering because that's what kids do. But, when they do it deliberately to try and put me off, specifically, I'm gonna say something.

Just 2 minutes later, one of them comes over with a swagger and says "Do you want a bowling challenge?" LOL! I was like "What for?" "Because... Do you want a bowling challenge?" I said "If you want to, I guess" He said he would finish his game and be right back.

So, I got back to bowling and proceeded to string 4 in a row! LOL! Needless to say, he didn't come back. The hooping and hollering quit too. My wife showed up 20 minutes later and when I told her, she said I should made some money of the idiot! LOL!
Father, Husband, Bowler, Web developer

15lb Morich DestroyR, Mania, Perpetual Motion, Craze, Frenzy, Mojave
15lb Radical Yeti
15lb Brunswick Slingshot, Avalanche Urethane

Highest score: 279
Highest series: 818
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Re: Young idiots at my local...

Post by MegaMav »

I've only had this happen once.

While they're dickin around, I say: "wanna bowl for money?"
They said "Maybe, how much?"
I said "My mortgage payment"
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

Last time I bowled on a lane next to kids, they were just having fun. Using house balls. I actually had to bowl around them. They were taking up both lanes and not sitting down between shots. I had to ask them several times to move back to their lane so I could bowl. It's good practice. Put that kind of stuff to good use and calm yourself down. I think that kind of practice is necessary also.
steve s
Preferred Company: none

Post by steve s »

elgavachon wrote:Last time I bowled on a lane next to kids, they were just having fun. Using house balls. I actually had to bowl around them. They were taking up both lanes and not sitting down between shots. I had to ask them several times to move back to their lane so I could bowl. It's good practice. Put that kind of stuff to good use and calm yourself down. I think that kind of practice is necessary also.
Couldn't have been put better....use it to learn,.. block out distractions...Don't let it get to you ....When we taught the youth travel league years ago ..The other coach and I put the kids on lane 2. I was on 1 and he was on 3 ....We walked up beside them talked to each other rolled balls , talked to them. ...anything we could think of to distract them...It only took one or two times to the line before they could completely block us out and execute as planned.....If you need 2 pair of lanes of courtesy to bowl ,,,,,get your focus and mind under control .... I hate to see a pro on tv complain about a distraction ....If a camera flashes in your face, I can understand that one being a little much.....If memory serves me correctly ...There is some video of the women bowling many many years ago and they didn't even give one lane courtesy.....It may have been practice though...Steve S
KYBOB
THS Average: 214
Positive Axis Point: 4" Left - 1"^
Speed: 18-19 (off hand)
Rev Rate: 275
Axis Tilt: 23*
Axis Rotation: 50+-
Preferred Company: Morich, Radical

Post by KYBOB »

Best to ignore them. As others said put it to use. Also remember you are being watched whether you realize it are not AND whether you want to be are not. "You are a rising star" and people are aware of this fact.

i have to keep in mind that other people (kids and young adults) do watch when I'm bowling. I want to try to set a good example for them. Although I do forget sometimes. I keep my temper in check, smoking to a minimum, cuss under my breath and beer in a cup (with top and straw). I know some things are seen anyway but I try to use discretion. Just wish I could practice more so they would too.

KyBob
KyBOB

STATS:

LH
PAP = 4"< x 1"^
Speed = 18-19 off hand
Rev Rate = 250-275
AR = 45*-50*
AT = 23*
kellytehuna
THS Average: 195
Positive Axis Point: 3.75", 1" up
Speed: 18
Rev Rate: 480
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 40
Heavy Oil Ball: Morich DestroyR
Medium Oil Ball: Morich Perpetual Motion
Light Oil Ball: Morich Mojave
Preferred Company: Morich

Post by kellytehuna »

In most cases, I would just ignore them. I definitely agree that sometimes the best action is to continue as you were and use it as a chance to practice "under pressure"

This time, I don't know why, but it got to me MUCH faster than usual. I usually let it go for a while and eventually ask them to just settle down. That day, I just let em have it and even then is was just a quick word and flash of the finger. LOL!
Father, Husband, Bowler, Web developer

15lb Morich DestroyR, Mania, Perpetual Motion, Craze, Frenzy, Mojave
15lb Radical Yeti
15lb Brunswick Slingshot, Avalanche Urethane

Highest score: 279
Highest series: 818
preoakes
THS Average: 228
Positive Axis Point: 5 over 0 up
Speed: 16-18
Rev Rate: 315
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 30

Post by preoakes »

I had one drunk guy tell me he could beat me one game for $500. I tried talking him out of it, for a half an hour before finally telling him to get the cash. He gave me the "I can get it" garbage, and I said that's now how this goes. You challenge, you show cash or you shut the hell up. He left me alone after that.
One of his friends took him aside and said he had no shot against me. I was averaging 220 in 2 leagues at the time, and he was averaging 175 in a No-tap league. It was pretty funny. I really didn't want to take his money. I just wanted him to back off. It worked.
Bahshay

Post by Bahshay »

I have no problem tuning out some people, but I struggle when bowling next to little kids. A few years back, a little kid on the lane next to me ran across the approach while i was bowling. I saw it coming out of the corner of my eye and was able to stop my shot inches from the kids head. I now find it hard to tune out the kids because I fear I won't be able to catch myself next time.
PAP- 4 1/8 over, 3/4 up
Speed - 17-18 monitor
Rev Rate - 475
Rotation - 65
Tilt - 12
mozarkian
Preferred Company: none

Post by mozarkian »

There was a teenager bowling with his parents next to me this summer in practice. I was able to shut him out so effectively that they left and two games later when I went to put on my street shoes I discovered he had left wearing my size elevens and left me his identical styled but more worn out 10 1/2's. I had to leave bare footed.
MoRichBowler300
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
THS Average: 217
Positive Axis Point: 4 7/8 x 7/8 up
Speed: 16 at 40 ft
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 60
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Guru Master
Medium Oil Ball: Radical Jackpot Solid
Light Oil Ball: Radical Rack Attack Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by MoRichBowler300 »

I remember a post-bowl that my team did one time. The philosophy of the center was that if you post or pre-bowled, you got whatever oil was out there and you dealt with no lane courtesy. I am fine with this philosophy as an employee of the center. So, we got put on 1 and 2 which were pretty much fried and probably hadn't been oiled since the day before. To make it more awesome, they put a little girl's birthday party next to us. The icing on the cake is that the party requested the disco lights and wanted to bowl in "galactic bowl." So, burnt lanes, b day party with cake everywhere on the floor, and lights off for galactic bowl. I shot 745. Can we bowl league with the lights off, too? LOL
www.nicksproshop.com
Guru Master 65 x 4 x 30 DBL thumb
Fix 70 x 4 1/2 x 40 p3
Jackpot Solid 60 x 3 1/2 x 55 p2.5 hole
Rave On 75 x 4 x 50
Rack Attack Pearl 90 x 4.5 x 70
BTU Pearl 125 x 2 1/4 x 45
Tilt: 14°
Rot: 60°
PAP 4 7/8 x 7/8
Hi Gm 300x5
Hi Srs 793
Lonewolf300800
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
THS Average: 229
Positive Axis Point: 4 9/16 by 7/16 up
Speed: 17-18mph
Heavy Oil Ball: Cold Blood
Medium Oil Ball: First Blood #2
Light Oil Ball: First Blood #1
Preferred Company: Hammer

Post by Lonewolf300800 »

i had a similar experience while practicing a while back...threw a strike in the first frame, then they turned the cosmic lights on for a charity tournament next to where i was...proceeded to throw the next 9 in row for a total of 10 in a row and a 289...lol

MoRichBowler300 wrote:I remember a post-bowl that my team did one time. The philosophy of the center was that if you post or pre-bowled, you got whatever oil was out there and you dealt with no lane courtesy. I am fine with this philosophy as an employee of the center. So, we got put on 1 and 2 which were pretty much fried and probably hadn't been oiled since the day before. To make it more awesome, they put a little girl's birthday party next to us. The icing on the cake is that the party requested the disco lights and wanted to bowl in "galactic bowl." So, burnt lanes, b day party with cake everywhere on the floor, and lights off for galactic bowl. I shot 745. Can we bowl league with the lights off, too? LOL
Arsenal:

http://s517.photobucket.com/albums/u340/Lonewolf300800/

High Series: 800(3)-807 & 826 & 813
High Game: 300(3), 299(7), 298(4), 290(4)

Owner: Pin Splitters Pro Shop