How Often Should I Practice?

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

MadDawg
Preferred Company: TBD

How Often Should I Practice?

Post by MadDawg »

I just started bowling about 1.5 weeks ago. I did get a coach thanks to jbungard. I will also ask my coach this when I see him tomorrow. But I wanted to ask here, how often should I bowl?

I truly started last Wednesday and have bowled everyday at least 3 games. I'm starting to get a sore knee. I want to bowl as often as possible so I learn faster but I also don't want to over train so that I end up going backwards.

I appreciate any advice on this. I also will be seeing my coach once per week.
crazyjim
Preferred Company: all

Re: How Often Should I Practice?

Post by crazyjim »

Three to five games a day is good once your body gets up to speed. Try not to go too much over this and always concentrate on one or two things such as tartgeting and posture til you get comfortable then maybe a coupla different wrist poistions. Somedays just pick out some spare combinations and figure out what works best for you and get them down pat. Still other days you can throw different lines and different balls and get a feel for how they compare to each other. Be sure to go to various houses as well to see different patterns.
MadDawg

Post by MadDawg »

crazyjim wrote:Three to five games a day is good once your body gets up to speed. Try not to go too much over this and always concentrate on one or two things such as tartgeting and posture til you get comfortable then maybe a coupla different wrist poistions. Somedays just pick out some spare combinations and figure out what works best for you and get them down pat. Still other days you can throw different lines and different balls and get a feel for how they compare to each other. Be sure to go to various houses as well to see different patterns.

Thanks for the advice.
jbungard
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
THS Average: 209
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/4" over, 3/8" up
Speed: 17 foul line, 15 pindeck
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Ridiculous Asymetrical
Medium Oil Ball: Radical Guru Limited
Light Oil Ball: Radical Rack Attack Solid
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by jbungard »

Hey MadDawg,

If you are working with Karl on Wednesdays, consider bowling/practicing on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays: three days a week to start. If you want to bowl a fourth day, add Saturday or Sunday. Bowling every other day gives your body time to recover. If you are feeling good and just have to bowl, there is nothing wrong with bowling on "rest" days. Just stay in tune with how you are doing physically and mentally.

Also, consider asking the bowling centers manager/assistant manager if they will sell you open play games at a reduced rate. I'd offer $100 for 100 games to start. Explain what you are doing, how regular you plan on doing it, etc. Talk to Karl about this. He should be very aware of the specials offered by bowling centers in your area.

Lots more to say but I don't want to overwhelm you with ideas at this stage in your game. Focus on rolling the ball over your target area and repeating shots. Focus on picking up spares. Consider scoring your games manually to learn first-hand how scoring in bowling works. Don't focus on scores in practice but get a handle on how important spares and first ball count are to improving your scores.
My specs: 15 pound equipment, PAP is 5 1/4" over and 3/8" up, ball speed 17 mph at release, 14 1/2 to 15 mph down lane, 13 degrees of axis tilt, 45 degrees of axis rotation, 330 rpm, for my normal release.
MadDawg

Post by MadDawg »

jbungard wrote:Hey MadDawg,

If you are working with Karl on Wednesdays, consider bowling/practicing on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays: three days a week to start. If you want to bowl a fourth day, add Saturday or Sunday. Bowling every other day gives your body time to recover. If you are feeling good and just have to bowl, there is nothing wrong with bowling on "rest" days. Just stay in tune with how you are doing physically and mentally.

Also, consider asking the bowling centers manager/assistant manager if they will sell you open play games at a reduced rate. I'd offer $100 for 100 games to start. Explain what you are doing, how regular you plan on doing it, etc. Talk to Karl about this. He should be very aware of the specials offered by bowling centers in your area.

Lots more to say but I don't want to overwhelm you with ideas at this stage in your game. Focus on rolling the ball over your target area and repeating shots. Focus on picking up spares. Consider scoring your games manually to learn first-hand how scoring in bowling works. Don't focus on scores in practice but get a handle on how important spares and first ball count are to improving your scores.

Hey Jim,

Good stuff I will talk with Karl about the open play deal. As always thank you for the advice keep it coming.
gtaliercio
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
THS Average: 212
Positive Axis Point: 4" over
Speed: 17 hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 60
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Invasion/Prodigy/2furious
Medium Oil Ball: Storm Tropical Heat/Reign
Light Oil Ball: Roto Grip Pluto
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by gtaliercio »

MadDawg wrote:I'm starting to get a sore knee.
While it might be your body just getting used to something new...

Be sure to tell your coach so he is aware of your knee problem. It might be related to how you slide (or don't slide) that is causing the pain.
USBC Silver Certified Coach
Owner: thebowlingapproach.com
steve s
Preferred Company: none

Post by steve s »

I would ask the coach to give you a practice schedule ( items to practice on ) ....three days a week sounds like a good thing to me until your body gets in tune with the added exercise and muscle use.....by all means tell the coach about you knee problem ..It may just be the added stress but let him look you over....The thigh muscle is usually the sore one if it is just over use..Hitting your target and shooting corner pins is my first two items for beginners to practice....Have fun and enjoy the learning ...there is more to learn ( master) than you need to hear at this time.....Steve S
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Coach Del Warren commented on practice as a presenter at 2018 World Bowling Coach Conference day 2.

Fast forward to

1:05:27 Del Warren – Dynamic Player Evaluations

[youtube][/youtube]
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John