Targeting

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Motogp69

Targeting

Post by Motogp69 »

I am trying to really get the particulars of my game down and one thing I would like to develop is a reliable targeting system. Currently I rely only on feel and visualization, and while it has served me while I would like to take my game to an even higher level and I think using a targeting system will allow me better feedback in which to measure my game at any given moment.

Currently, I drift 10 boards left on every shot, and was curious how do you account for drift in a targeting system?

I understand that the lay down point is typically between 6 to 7 boards from your slide foot, but I am trying to understand how to correctly target from the stance position.

For example, say I am trying to pick up the 10 pin, How do I set up for this? Further, when you set up for this shot, do I set up for where I should be at the foul line, or as if I was making the shot from the stance position?

I think my big issue is that a lot of targeting systems make you draw lines from the stance position, which automatically sets you up to miss. If I set up to hit the 10 pin, and aline my shoulders with the 10 pin in the stance position, if I don't walk straight to the target (and most people don't) then my shoulders will be aligned incorrectly. If I walk straight or drift left I will miss the ten pin on the left side.

I understand a lot of targeting systems figure in drift, but I haven't seen any that account for shoulder alignment.

Thank you in advance...
Off The Sheet

Re: Targeting

Post by Off The Sheet »

Currently, I drift 10 boards left on every shot, and was curious how do you account for drift in a targeting system?
While it's true that no one walks perfectly straight, I believe 10 boards is more then a bit excessive (I believe 2-3 is about average). Your first order of business IMO, should be trying to cut that down. Working on your first step, & push-off will likely help quite a bit (ie the rest of your approach should follow).

Other thoughts if you don't want to work on that:
-Pre-aline your shoulders before you take your first step.
-Develop a completely different approach for spares: Utilizing a straight ball release (broken wrist), & a face-walk-and-throw at your target style.
Motogp69

Post by Motogp69 »

I shoot straight at my spares, and I walk straight at my spare shots, I was just using one of my drift patterns as an example to work out the math.

I have no problem adapting my drift to the conditions through my second step. The issue is that for the most part in the centers that I bowl tournaments at I need to be able to drift a decent amount left so that I'm not starting up against the ball return. If I was to walk straight or had a small drift I would be up against the ball return and out of my comfort zone.

For example, I drift 10 boards when playing deep inside, 8 when stroking, and 6 when playing down and in.

Regardless of my personal characteristics the basic dilemma still remains the same, how do I account for the drift in aiming?

I have my own theories on aiming, but I'm trying to work them out with the more technical minds on this website. I live in the Central Florida area and have worked with the people at Kegel, but for the most part they don't have systems that account for drift or shoulder alignment. Which I think is far more important than the 3 point targeting system.

For example, if you know your drift, why wouldn't you go up to the foul line and visualize what shot you were trying to accomplish? Most of us set up for a shot on the approach, but even if you start near the front set of dots aligning your shoulders to the target will result in a missed shot if you don't account for the change in shoulder alignment from the stance to the foul line if you walk straight or drift instead of walking towards the target. I know ideally we'd all walk towards the target, but with the modern power game it's un-realistic. Which is why I'm trying to develop a new system for targeting.
kellytehuna
THS Average: 195
Positive Axis Point: 3.75", 1" up
Speed: 18
Rev Rate: 480
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 40
Heavy Oil Ball: Morich DestroyR
Medium Oil Ball: Morich Perpetual Motion
Light Oil Ball: Morich Mojave
Preferred Company: Morich

Post by kellytehuna »

I believe Wes Malott determines where he needs to slide to get the lay down point he needs. Once he's done that, he drifts appropriately to get to the slide board to allow him to play the angle he's wanting to play.
Father, Husband, Bowler, Web developer

15lb Morich DestroyR, Mania, Perpetual Motion, Craze, Frenzy, Mojave
15lb Radical Yeti
15lb Brunswick Slingshot, Avalanche Urethane

Highest score: 279
Highest series: 818
steve s
Preferred Company: none

Post by steve s »

" Regardless of my personal characteristics the basic dilemma still remains the same, how do I account for the drift in aiming?"

Let me offer this advice to try ....find your laydown board ...let's use 10 as an example for discussion.....Next ,determine the number of boards from the inside of your slide foot that you lay the ball down....normal ( what ever that may be ) is usually aprox 7 ....If 10 is our target lay down board and we want the ball to be on 10 at 40 feet down lane,a 0 launch angle , that means we need to slide on the 17 board....all you have to do is subtract the 6, 8 or 10 boards drift from that number ( 17 in example ) ...6, if I read your post correctly, that would make your starting board 11...Now you have to figure out which foot you are spotting with to finish on the correct board....I use my right out side edge ...It is all in the math ....lay down board + number of boards the ball is from your slide foot ='s slide board .... - drift ( if to the left) ='s starting board....When we add in launch angles there is some more math to do to compensate for the angle...Steve S
Last edited by steve s on November 17th, 2010, 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
steve s
Preferred Company: none

Post by steve s »

" but even if you start near the front set of dots aligning your shoulders to the target will result in a missed shot if you don't account for the change in shoulder alignment from the stance to the foul line if you walk straight or drift instead of walking towards the target. "

If you have pre set the correct angle of your shoulders to match the launch angle of the ball to hit your 3 point targeting system marks there should not be a problem.... Setting (or adjusting at the last possible seconds before the ball starts forward) this angle is the problem with missed launch angles... laydown 10 out to 8 at 40 feet requires a smaller angle than 12 to 8 or 15 to 8...I don't believe we can accurately change this and be repeatable and accurate...Years of experience and practice does help...This is why I teach the straight line approach to the target line ...better put, a walking line parallel to the ball trajectory...with the ball swinging on the trajectory line...Having area to play overcomes this inability to make repeatable shots... Steve S