Phantom Radio - Gary Parsons

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Phantom Radio - Gary Parsons

Post by kajmk »

Gary "guruU2" has been forum mainstay for many years.

11-24-21
ON NOW: Gary Parsons
Coach & Writer

https://www.kegel.net/phantom
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: Phantom Radio - Gary Parsons

Post by kajmk »

I just finished listening, enjoyed it. I hope Len has Gary on again. If there was a bowling device like the Amazon series, the wake word would be Gary.

Good show, encore please.

John
guruU2
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by guruU2 »

Thanks for the promo John. I gave myself a C+ for the interview as I did not get into what Bill did for the Pro Shop. For example, he did the "grunt work" for the pro shop technician in the determination that the thumb should be at 63o angle in in the ball. I learned, during the Taylor-Pinel "Great Debate" in the mid 1990s at a Vegas BOWL EXPO, that 2 technologists did a study and came up with 61.7o- Bill was right on the money for the observation he made in the 1960s. That chat, based on the span and flexibility of the thumb is in most pro shop training manuals, was modified by Mo Pinel and Kelly Bednar but the core angle for the chat was Bill's work. While the game has "pass him by in many ways, his work along with Tom Kouros'' PAR BOWLING still should be read and studied for the contributions themselves as well as understanding the foundation for the principles of the modern game and the sheer appreciation of the work put in their writings. Look for me in mid-January doing a Q & A on the great coach and bowler of the 1950s and early 60s Bill Bunetta.
-Gary Parsons
If one does not know one's product, one can not manage nor promote the product one does not know.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Hi Gary, A few thoughts about your grade.
The show probably does not run long enough to allow you or anyone to recount Bill's bowling acumen. The anecdote regarding Bill's grip was an enlightening insight on the man. We should not overlook that the person conducting the show is the pilot so to speak. I enjoyed it, pretty dammed good C+ :lol:
Now if Lenny said, Gary, I'm going to sit back and listen to you tell us about Bill Taylor ... ;)

When it comes to discussing any of the masters, perhaps the shows should be singular tributes.

I did learn that I'd better plan on who to bequeath my copy of Bill's treatise on Fitting and Drilling a Bowling ball. My copy is printed in 2 languages, Korean and English. I've kept it in a zip lock plastic bag all these years!

Years ago I exchanged some emails with Bill. I think the point of connection was Ken Webber.
Bill was writing about his analysis of a persons physical characteristics and how to optimize their own personal timing. Bill was going to be in my state and said he would like to meet. Sadly, that was the year Bill passed.

I will look forward to your Q&A on Bill Bunetta.

Ever think about writing a book or two?
Perhaps a series of tribute articles for a periodical, sort of bowling history and short bios.

Stay safe and healthy!

John