Coaching Attitude

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

TomaHawk
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Coaching Attitude

Post by TomaHawk »

Having done instructional seminars and personalized coaching for quite some time, one question just occurred to me, should coaches have expectations too?
Glenn

Re: Coaching Attitude

Post by Glenn »

Hey, T-Hawk, are you waxing philosophical today? LOL!
Should coaches have expectations about .... what??
JimH
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by JimH »

My experience seems to be similar to yours. Bowler, Coach, PSO, and trainer to coaches. People become coaches for a variety of reasons. Some to improve their own game, some to help other bowlers at any number of levels. The reason for becoming a coach has personal expectations attached. Some people believe every coach has the same ambition, for example to coach the National Team. Every coach has expectations that are generally private and personal. In my opinion the answer to your question is "Yes, coaches have expectations."
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Maximus said it well ...

May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
TomaHawk
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by TomaHawk »

Glenn wrote: April 22nd, 2021, 9:00 pm Hey, T-Hawk, are you waxing philosophical today? LOL!

Yes..... :D
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Post by 44boyd »

There needs to be a conversation before first lesson on expectations from both sides to see if you’re a good fit
Stacy
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

44boyd wrote: April 22nd, 2021, 11:36 pm There needs to be a conversation before first lesson on expectations from both sides to see if you’re a good fit
Ron discusses this in the video, he books a substantial amount of time to exchange information.
Exemplary methodology.

The title is a bit of a misnomer

John
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Post by 44boyd »

Love his videos, relationship compatibility goes a long way in all aspects of life
Stacy
deanchamp
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
THS Average: 220

Post by deanchamp »

TomaHawk wrote: April 22nd, 2021, 6:55 pm Having done instructional seminars and personalized coaching for quite some time, one question just occurred to me, should coaches have expectations too?
Expectations of the athlete? Yes. I'm not going to waste my time and effort on someone who in 6 months/a year gives the game away because it all gets too hard. Can I predict this in the present? No, but the signs will be there - less practicing, less communication, not listening to advice, not prepared to make changes etc.

I expect a certain degree of commitment and determination from the bowler so both our hard work is rewarded and the dynamic of the relationship grows.
USBC Silver Level Coach
BCU Graduate - Mastery of Layouts
BTM contributor
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

deanchamp wrote: April 24th, 2021, 12:24 am Expectations of the athlete? Yes. I'm not going to waste my time and effort on someone who in 6 months/a year gives the game away because it all gets too hard. Can I predict this in the present? No, but the signs will be there - less practicing, less communication, not listening to advice, not prepared to make changes etc.

I expect a certain degree of commitment and determination from the bowler so both our hard work is rewarded and the dynamic of the relationship grows.
By not continuing a non productive relationship, you free up time for another student and do not continue to accept money for nothing.

John