Grip Pressure, Tape, and Optimal Mechanics

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Re: Grip Pressure, Tape, and Optimal Mechanics

Post by 44boyd »

jegreco516 wrote: April 9th, 2021, 10:59 pm I can add more tape to the top but it starts to feel uncomfortable on my hand. Almost like it’s changing my span which I thought was a myth but idk. I have an appointment to try more forward pitch which I’ve never done.
Adding forward will slow the thumb coming out of the ball, I’d only do it if you’re dropping the ball before release. I’d really consider the thumb straight and add more tape to the front of the thumb hole. Also tape doesn’t just have to go on the front and back, thumbs ain’t perfect
Stacy
jegreco516
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by jegreco516 »

44boyd wrote: April 9th, 2021, 11:22 pm Adding forward will slow the thumb coming out of the ball, I’d only do it if you’re dropping the ball before release. I’d really consider the thumb straight and add more tape to the front of the thumb hole. Also tape doesn’t just have to go on the front and back, thumbs ain’t perfect
I have not tried adding tape to the sides. I’ll try that as well as adding more to too.
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Post by MegaMav »

If you need to put tape on the side of your thumb, your thumb hole is too big.
jegreco516

Post by jegreco516 »

MegaMav wrote: April 11th, 2021, 12:08 am If you need to put tape on the side of your thumb, your thumb hole is too big.
Makes sense. Should a bowler be capable of throwing a ball with different pitches (reverse AND forward) if the hole is tight enough? Or is a specific pitch required to reduce grip pressure?
GrumpyCatFace
Preferred Company: Pyramid

Post by GrumpyCatFace »

I struggled with this for a few years, until I changed my release. I discovered that by just cupping the ball fully on the downswing, then ‘dropping’ it at the bottom, I get a much better ball reaction, and my thumb issues went away entirely.

I had a recurring issue with getting ‘hung up’ on release, using the typical relaxed stroker style. I have one of those super flexible thumbs that can bend either way, as well as somewhat loose skin at the base - very bad for consistency, if I don’t use wrist action.

Now the only concern for my thumb is a comfortable fit, and just keeping it relaxed. I squeeze with the base as the ball goes down and back, then cup and relax it when the ball is weightless. You only have to hold it for a split second, until the bottom of the swing, then drop and watch your ball rev up.

‘It’s all in the wrist’.
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Post by MegaMav »

jegreco516 wrote: April 11th, 2021, 1:41 am Makes sense. Should a bowler be capable of throwing a ball with different pitches (reverse AND forward) if the hole is tight enough? Or is a specific pitch required to reduce grip pressure?
The fit should be as anatomically neutral/natural as possible.
TomaHawk
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by TomaHawk »

Thumb pitch is relative to the shape / flexibility of the thumb in relation to the span. Thumb texture is an important factor too.

If the wedge somewhat helped you keep your thumb straight, you're half way there.

First, pick the pro shop you feel the most comfortable with. All of us guys in the business interpret things a little differently. The right PSO will take you from point A to Z chronologically. There are so many factors to consider, it could get real expensive if a ball driller took you to Z and the answer was somewhere around G.

Here's what you can do, put tape all the way around the thumb hole. What you're looking for is the size the thumb hole needs to be in order for you to hold onto the ball. When it feels comfortable to you, take the ball to a shop and have them measure the size of the hole with the tape still in place. Use black tape for this process, it will feel closer to the actual material used in slugs.

If that works out for you, at least you'll have a good starting point to engage in a conversation with the pro shop operator.
jegreco516

Post by jegreco516 »

TomaHawk wrote: April 11th, 2021, 4:37 pm Thumb pitch is relative to the shape / flexibility of the thumb in relation to the span. Thumb texture is an important factor too.

If the wedge somewhat helped you keep your thumb straight, you're half way there.

First, pick the pro shop you feel the most comfortable with. All of us guys in the business interpret things a little differently. The right PSO will take you from point A to Z chronologically. There are so many factors to consider, it could get real expensive if a ball driller took you to Z and the answer was somewhere around G.

Here's what you can do, put tape all the way around the thumb hole. What you're looking for is the size the thumb hole needs to be in order for you to hold onto the ball. When it feels comfortable to you, take the ball to a shop and have them measure the size of the hole with the tape still in place. Use black tape for this process, it will feel closer to the actual material used in slugs.

If that works out for you, at least you'll have a good starting point to engage in a conversation with the pro shop operator.
Okay I will do that. Another stupid question: Where do you apply pressure in the thumb hole? I have heard people recommend holding the ball with the webbing or base of your thumb but that seems strange to me. Is it possible to apply a gentle even pressure with your entire thumb? Or is it recommended to isolate the pressure to a specific joint segment?
TomaHawk
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by TomaHawk »

Too much pressure in the web will cause blistering, eventually turning into a callous. Little, to no pressure in the area is highly recommended.

Worst case scenario, a person would press the middle of the thumb (front side of the knuckle) very lightly against the front of the hole, no pressure on the web or tip. It takes awhile to achieve the confidence necessary to swing a heavy object like a bowling ball with such little pressure. With constant practice, it becomes second nature.
jegreco516

Post by jegreco516 »

TomaHawk wrote: April 11th, 2021, 5:56 pm Too much pressure in the web will cause blistering, eventually turning into a callous. Little, to no pressure in the area is highly recommended.

Worst case scenario, a person would press the middle of the thumb (front side of the knuckle) very lightly against the front of the hole, no pressure on the web or tip. It takes awhile to achieve the confidence necessary to swing a heavy object like a bowling ball with such little pressure. With constant practice, it becomes second nature.
Very good. Thank you for the help
J_w73
THS Average: 210
Positive Axis Point: 4 3/4" over 1/4" up
Speed: 17 mph
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 45+
Heavy Oil Ball: Idol, Show-off
Medium Oil Ball: Venom Shock, Rhodman,
Light Oil Ball: Phobia, White Hot Badger

Post by J_w73 »

Try Ron C's magic carpet. That may help you. I would also look at your wrist and where your thumb is pointing. If you hold the ball at your side with you thumb pointing down, the ball should fall off your hand. You might want to have your thumb pitch looked at. You may have too much reverse pitch. Going more forward in the thumb may help you hold onto the ball.
Right Handed, 16-17 mph off hand (14 -15 mph on Qubica reading) ,350 rpm,PAP 4 3/4 x 1/4 up, 17 deg axis tilt, varied rotational axis deg.. usually 45+
Book Average 210+
ballspoint
Speed: 20 mph off the hand
Rev Rate: 250
Axis Tilt: 11
Axis Rotation: 70

Post by ballspoint »

What about the other fingers? what role is the index and pinky doing? Are they supporting the ball also, and how do you go about that?
R/H, 20 mph off hand. 250 Revs.
11* Tilt. 70* Rotation. 5 5/8 x 1"up
rkundla
THS Average: 179
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/2 by 15/16 up
Speed: 14 mph pindeck
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 6
Axis Rotation: 35
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Incite
Medium Oil Ball: Hammer Black Widow 2.0 Hybrid
Light Oil Ball: Hammer Scorpion Sting
Preferred Company: Like them all!

Post by rkundla »

ballspoint wrote: May 31st, 2021, 9:34 pm What about the other fingers? what role is the index and pinky doing? Are they supporting the ball also, and how do you go about that?
I know I am bringing an old thread back from the dead, but I've realized that in the pursuit of my relaxed one-handed grip, I relegated the index finger to a passive role, spread from the middle finger, but not actively involved. Unfortunately, I'd experience slippage of my what felt snug thumb in the downswing due to my wrist breaking early. This would result in a double-thud as it bounced on the lane or loss of finger control on the ball, causing it to not go where I intended it to go with low revs.

Today I did some practice and firmed up the index finger, pushing on the ball during the backswing and as I bring the ball forward. I noticed I had significantly more control on the fingers and could transfer more hand to the ball. While I am still working on the yo-yo timing to snap the wrist at the bottom of the release, this feels like a step in the right direction for me.