Maurice "Mo" Pinel 1942-2021

Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your general questions, and get straight answers.

Moderators: Mo Pinel, purduepaul, MathIsTruth, ballspinner

Forum rules
Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your questions, and get straight answers.
This forum is moderated exclusively by Mo & Friends.
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Maurice "Mo" Pinel 1942-2021

Post by MegaMav »

From a release on Facebook:
Maurice Louis Pinel, Jr. passed away peacefully today at 8:45a.m. with his loved ones at his side in Baton Rouge, LA. He had recently contracted the COVID-19 virus and his heart, lungs, and body fought off this terrible virus as long as it could. Honoring his wishes, he will be cremated and a celebration of life bowling tournament will be held in his honor later this year. Please do your part in stopping the spread of COVID-19 by wearing a mask and getting the vaccine when you are able.
In lieu of flowers and cards, please consider donating to either the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society (donate.lls.org) or to Bowl 4 Life (https://bowl4life.com/products/donate) in Mo's name.
Mo was a larger than life figure in the bowling world and his presence had the weight of authority wherever he went.
Mo came to BowlingChat in 2010 with one goal, spread knowledge to get people to enjoy bowling more and bowl more often.
After 10,000+ posts and countless documents submitted to the wiki, it is safe to say he accomplished his goal.

Each time you pick up an asymmetrical ball (every drilled ball), there is a piece of Mo's legacy in it.
Rest in peace Mo, thank you for your contributions to the sport of bowling and BowlingChat.

I feel truly fortunate to have had him in my life over the last 11 years.
My sincerest condolences go out to his friends, family including his loving wife Monica Westfall and his step son Levi Westfall.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: Maurice "Mo" Pinel 1942-2021

Post by kajmk »

Rest in peace Maestro!
Truly a giant and legend in the world of bowling!
My Deepest sympathy to all his loved ones.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
ICURNVS
THS Average: 220
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2 -> 3/4 up
Speed: 16.8 Monitor
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 11
Axis Rotation: 30
Heavy Oil Ball: Zen Master
Medium Oil Ball: Power Torq / UFO Alert / Honey Badger Revival
Light Oil Ball: Marvel Pearl / Stellar
Preferred Company: What ever is on Sale

Post by ICURNVS »

Our sport has lost a Legend... RIP Mo Pinel.. you were one of a kind and will be sorely missed.
** UPDATED STATS AS OF 6-06-19 **
Right Hand
PAP 4 1/2-> 3/4 up
ROTATION 20 - 30
TILT 11.5*
MPH 14.5-15.2 MONITOR
RPM 350-375
RIP Visionary Bowling Products.....
guruU2
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by guruU2 »

Bowling has just lost one of, it not its, GREATEST creative minds. This industry has just lost a GREAT ball designer; a GREAT lanesmen; a Great coach; and a GREAT teacher. Right now he is irreplaceable. He easily ranks with the iconic contributors to the game, e.g., Bill Bunnetta, Bill Taylor, Tom Kouros, Fred Borden, Dick Ritger, Bill Hall. I will miss our intellectual debates we had on line and in the seminars. His IBPSIA Advance Class was one of the most advance intellectual endeavors I have experience. RIP Mo.
-Gary Parsons
If one does not know one's product, one can not manage nor promote the product one does not know.
teedawg

Post by teedawg »

HUGE loss to the bowling industry. He will be missed. Condolences to friends & family
TomaHawk
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by TomaHawk »

I had several conversations with Mo. Can't say I always agreed, but the conversations were energetic. He is already missed.
fendi
THS Average: 180
Positive Axis Point: 4 7/8 over. 3/4 up
Speed: 15mph
Rev Rate: 320
Axis Tilt: 10
Axis Rotation: 50
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by fendi »

R.I.P. Mo..
Thank You For The Knowledge..
PAP = 4 7/8 right, 3/4 up
Sp = 15mph
AT = 10*
AR = 50*
Rev = 320
star
Positive Axis Point: 5 over 3/4 up
Speed: 17 to 18 mph off hand
Rev Rate: 400
Axis Tilt: 11
Axis Rotation: 45
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by star »

Had the immense pleasure of speaking with Mo for over an hour about problems with our wood lanes and even had him measure me.

It was at a Morich seminar and he watched us bowl. To be told by Mo that I had an awesome game was the biggest buzz I’ve ever had in this or any sport.

He is irreplaceable in this sport and will be sorely missed. My thoughts go out to his friends and family.

RIP Mo, thank you for being you.
rkj4243

Post by rkj4243 »

RIP Mo. As mentioned everyone should be grateful for the contributions he made to the bowling industry, and his sharing of his knowledge freely and openly to allow all of us to improve.

Thoughts and prayers for his family.
magicmike
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 4-1/2"> 3/4"^
Speed: 17 off my hand
Rev Rate: 325
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Jackal Ghost, Forge Flare
Medium Oil Ball: Forge Fire, Jackal Flash, Venom Shock
Light Oil Ball: Supra, Desert Tank
Preferred Company: Motiv

Post by magicmike »

Learned an incredible amount from that guy. He was always so energetic and willing to help even for those of us affiliated with other companies. Bowling has lost a legend, but he will never be forgotten.
davidjr113
THS Average: 185
Positive Axis Point: 4 5/8 over 1 up
Speed: 17-18 off hand
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 23
Axis Rotation: 40
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by davidjr113 »

Made a five hour plus drive about 5-6 years ago to attend one of his clinics in Pa. Amazing man & passion for bowling. Got fitted by him, got his benchmark layout for me & bought a ball. Today, I still use his layout on everything. Spent one full Summer comparing his fitting with the one I already had from Chris Forry from Buddies Pro Shop in CT. Chris’s worked for me and I still get everything drilled by Chris though I live far away now. That said, I am very glad I took the time & effort to spend a session with & get to meet Mo. Saw him later at a PBA 50 event in Florida & was too shy to introduce myself. Regret that now, RIP Mo Pinel
Senior Bowler
Tilt 23
Rot 20-40
Speed off hand 17-18
Rev 200-250
PAP 4 5/8 over 1 up RH'd 185+ On THS
TheJesus
Speed: 17mph (foul line)
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12

Post by TheJesus »

If i lived in the US, i would have tried to meet him. I got to know him from his impact on the sport, via the internet, and through the testimonies and opinions of others. It is sad to lose him from covid , he could have been with us some more years. Let's continue to honor him by helping our sport !
Check out my bowling related YouTube channel ! BOWLING XP ! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1cTYc ... Eynuk0qdIw :mrgreen:
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

A little bit of Mo as found on this forums wiki ...

Mo Fact Sheet
These are some quick facts posted by Mo on various parts of the forum.

http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... Fact_Sheet

Shift Bowl Technique as taught by Mo Pinel.

http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... _Technique
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
morichgirl
Industry Professional
Industry Professional
THS Average: 161
Preferred Company: MoRich/Radical

Post by morichgirl »

First I want to apologize for taking this long to read everyone's kind words. Mo was larger than life, the Godfather of the modern game, but to me he was just my husband. And being all of those things made dealing with him almost impossible sometimes (which a lot of you know) :lol: . The hole he has left in our family and also the bowling community will never be filled. I'm so grateful that BowlingChat put together the wiki, a piece of him will continue to help others improve their game. A huge shout out to Eric for taking all my calls and being a wonderful sounding board. And last but certainly not least, the BowlingChat/bowling community. Your thoughts, prayers, kind words, memories, bowl4life donations and phone calls were so appreciated. I have been overwhelmed by the support. And humbled by the number of people who are looking out for me. Thank you, just doesn't seem adequate.

With thanks and appreciation,
The Pinel Family
Monica Westfall-Pinel
Monica Westfall Pinel
morichgirl@gmail.com