Anyone seen the Clutch Tracking system before?

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Anyone seen the Clutch Tracking system before?

Post by bowl1820 »

Anyone seen this before, The Clutch Tracking system projecting the balls track right on the lane?

"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Re: Anyone seen the Clutch Tracking system before?

Post by EricHartwell »

Only when watching the pros on tv. What ever that system is.

Bowling centers around me are not putting any technology improvements into the lanes. They seem to just want to sit back and try to make money on old outdated machines and software.

I would like to see more ideas like this become part of bowling. Stuff like this shot tracking, instant replay, speed and rev info. Use the technology that goes into golf simulators,
Give the patrons more and then the price of bowling could go up and enable more profit margin to the bowling establishments.
Meanwhile the price of bowling still goes up and we get nothing more in return.

Just look at all the improvements to the game over history. Automatic pin setters was HUGE. Automatic scoring, another HUGE improvement. Synthetic lanes and oiling machines.
Since then the only improvement has been the addition of the speed readout and that isn't even available at most places let alone accurate. Not so huge.
This sport could use another HUGE improvement. It's been a good 30+ years since we've seen something new from the bowling alleys.

On another note, I was hoping to see a more consistent bowler try to show the difference in 10* VAL angles. Personally I think 20* separation would be easier to see the difference. 10* isn't much. Also I would want to see how the ball went through the pins to fully understand the difference.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

I totally agree with Eric regarding the bowling centers (around me - living off the fat of the land and not much in the way of improvements). One center was forced into buying a new oil machine, did painting, and the blew money into new furniture that didn't add any value IMHO (replaced seating with too high bar stools in the bowling area - no place to lace up down on the lanes). The closures due to COVID-19 only made the likilhood of any improvement even less likely.
The installation effort and cost of the Clutch Tracking System is significant, and we don't even have Specto in my area.
I am always interested in following Ron Hickland as he seems to have all the lastest toys installed.
Been better if their VAL test had been done using a Throwbot, Specto, and Clutch Tracking ($$$).
Bowling Is More Art Than Science
"Glenn is not an expert..."
Ryster

Post by Ryster »

I am sure there are profit considerations that go into what centers charge for bowling, but I do not think it is pure greed. There are many things that go in to the price other than new technology. The prices of these things aren't locked in forever and will increase pretty regularly.

-Labor costs
-Property taxes
-Electricity and other utilities
-Supplies (now with COVID add in the cost of hand sanitizers, plastic shields, etc.)
-Janitorial and sanitation
-General maintenance and repairs
-other

There can be a lot of things the center is doing behind the scenes that cost money that the average customer never sees, yet the center needs to recover the costs. The bowling center I have been going to for over 25 years now is the largest and most modern in the area. There used to be lengthy waiting lists to join leagues. Now, they literally cannot even give away free bowling to get people in the door to fill the house. While the league business is still strong, you could walk in there today and immediately get a spot on a league. When participation is down, the cost of bowling will go up to make up for it.

There is a center about 45 minutes down the road that has Clutch installed. Might check it out one of these days, but having Clutch doesn't make it a destination spot for me. I really don't need all of that garbage projected on the lane. I know when I missed left or right, released it wrong, or varied ball speed too much. Having a computer confirm it for me is pointless.
TomaHawk
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by TomaHawk »

I helped instruct a yearly seminar in our area. It is run by a great guy / bowler / proprietor. He installed a roll analysis system in his center. In actuality, I was somewhat surprised that he would endorse such a system and questioned him about it. He had been very successful with his previous methods of instruction. His reply: "Still gotta know how to roll it".

Analysis systems are the equivalent of a scientist explaining how a baseball curves. Yes!!!! But it does not help me hit the damn thing.
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

Fitted golf clubs help you hit the ball better.
Fitted layouts will help your ball hit better.

I keep using golf analogies because I see golf thriving, The simulators are attracting what could be bowlers. Places like Top Golf for example. I'm predicting there will be more places to golf simulate than bowling alleys. The total number of golf courses way out number bowling alleys. And privately owned golf simulators in garages, pole barns, game rooms puts golfs popularity way up there when it comes to recreation. Bowling has to compete with that. Golf is giving you in depth look into the science of why did that ball fly like that when I was trying to make it fly much differently.
Bowling needs to follow suit and get with the technology or get left behind.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
TomaHawk
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by TomaHawk »

EricHartwell wrote: December 3rd, 2020, 10:18 pm Fitted golf clubs help you hit the ball better.
Fitted layouts will help your ball hit better.

I keep using golf analogies because I see golf thriving, The simulators are attracting what could be bowlers. Places like Top Golf for example. I'm predicting there will be more places to golf simulate than bowling alleys. The total number of golf courses way out number bowling alleys. And privately owned golf simulators in garages, pole barns, game rooms puts golfs popularity way up there when it comes to recreation. Bowling has to compete with that. Golf is giving you in depth look into the science of why did that ball fly like that when I was trying to make it fly much differently.
Bowling needs to follow suit and get with the technology or get left behind.
Eric, I agree to a certain extent. If a person has gone through the process of learning how to properly execute a shot, analysis programs can be very beneficial. The fellow I talked about in my previous post utilizes the analysis program very effectively. But, he is dedicated to the game and has gone through great lengths to become the best bowler he can become. The analysis program simply confirms he is consistent in the manner in which he executes a shot.

For the general bowling population, it would mean, a person needs instruction. Other than that, it is not much different than punching the speed bag at an arcade just to see how hard you can punch. It does not make the person a boxer.

In terms of creating a more desirable bowling product, could an analysis program create more interest than a total remodel, a great staff, and a well lit parking lot?