Bowling with an injury

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Zoemma

Bowling with an injury

Post by Zoemma »

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum, so I apologize if I am posting this question in the wrong section.

About 10 days ago, I stubbed my toe and there was bruising and swelling. The swelling subsided and bruising started to fade at the 7 day mark. I bowl in a league, so I went to the lanes a couple days before league play to see if my toe could sustain game play, and I completed one full game with no issues. However, half way through my 2nd game, my toe cracked on my slide, and now I feel like I am back to square one with the healing process. Needless to mention, I skipped league play on Saturday, and now I am going to give my toe the time it needs to fully heal before hitting the lanes again.

So, my question is, has anyone here dealt with this issue in the past? If so, how long did you wait before getting back on the lanes? I grew up playing sports all my life, and I constantly stubbed fingers and toes and just played through it with no issues. Having said that, I'm no longer a spring chicken at 47 years old, and I know going to the doctor is pointless as I've heard it all before with the ice and taping your toe to the one beside it, etc. The doc cannot really do anything for a broken toe.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated guys.
Shazaam
THS Average: 180
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2" over and 1/2" up
Speed: 14-15 MPH, Qubica Monitor

Re: Bowling with an injury

Post by Shazaam »

I have broken my toe on my non-slide foot. I did all the right things, including ice taping, etc. A week after the injury, I tried bowling league, and could not continue after practice. I took two weeks off and was fine to bowl.

Take the time off to heal.
My current Stats:

RH
PAP: 5" over and 1" up
Speed: 14.5-15.5 MPH at Monitor
Rev rate: approx. 250-300 rpm
Tilt: 13-15 degrees
Zoemma

Post by Zoemma »

Thanks Shazaam for the good info.
boomer
THS Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 6 3/16 x 1/2 up
Speed: 13.8 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 230
Preferred Company: Storm (it smells pretty)

Post by boomer »

It depends on which foot! :)

I stub and whack my toes regularly - it's either my toe or my head. I lead with either1 My wife is getting used to it, I guess. LOL

If it's my left (slide) foot, then I'm out. That's also where my knee is that got replaced - it was HORRID trying to bowl through any injury to my left. On the other hand, my right . . . I could work through that.

And now that my knee is replaced, that's MUCH MUCH better - too bad we can't bowl around here.
Zoemma

Post by Zoemma »

Sorry Boomer. I completely forgot to mention which foot has the broken toe. It’s my left foot (slide foot). I’m right handed.
I agree after realizing exactly how much stress is on the slide foot.
So, I’m thinking 4 weeks should do the trick, I hope.
boomer

Post by boomer »

try sliding at home with your slide shoe on - if it hurts, hold off. Remember, you'll be sliding . . . 15x per game (ish. . . ) so if it hurts with one or two slides, it'll KILL after that many. . .
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

I injured my big toe in a gym accident a few years ago.
My injury was analogous to kicking a wall with the tip of my big toe.

I had an old pair of Linds that I cut the toe box off. Effectively I had an open toed shoe so as to remove contact with the top of the toe box. My injury was to the Nail side of the toe.

A word on the slide I extracted from an old post of mine regarding teaching the slide.
As with any technique new to you: break it in to component parts, practice slow motion, get the motions, progress to full speed.
The thought "sliding on the arch" was taught to me by coach Rolf Gauger, Rolf and John Jowdy were buddies.

"In your stocking feet on a surface that will allow a slide, simply stand in place and slide your foot back and forth.
Note the technique that works best, you slide kind of on the balls of your foot through the arch, the heel acts as a break.
Your foot should not take a steep angle, thinking arching the toes slightly up, might help.
You do not want to make a fist with your foot. Think about scraping something off the sole of your shoe or whatever works for you.
Observe - putting your shoe on your hand, try to get it to slide, what inclination angle works best?"

Hope you get well ASAP

Be well, be safe, be happy.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
Zoemma

Post by Zoemma »

Thanks guys. I appreciate all the input. I've really grown to love this sport. I've only been playing for a couple of years, and once I got in to it, I've come to the realization there is a lot more to this game than hitting the pocket. Up until 2 years ago, I could have counted the number of times I bowled on 2 hands. Usually, I was pretty wasted, throwing the straight ball, and did not even remember. haha.
boomer

Post by boomer »

get well soon! :)
Zoemma

Post by Zoemma »

I’ll do my best and thanks!