Frankenball - reuse, recycle?

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

stevespo
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 5.75" x + 3/8"
Speed: 17+ off hand (camera)
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Phaze II, Altered Reality
Medium Oil Ball: IQ Tour Nano, Zen, Phase III
Light Oil Ball: Electrify Pearl

Frankenball - reuse, recycle?

Post by stevespo »

So, I'm watching bowling one day and my daughter asks me "Dad, have you ever made a bowling ball?" Answer, "No, but I've thought about it".
Now I have, kinda.
cracked-iq-tour.jpg
dovetail-2.jpg
dovetail-3.jpg
quadrants.jpg
sliding-dovetail.jpg
Given the long break from bowling, Covid downtime, and losing 5 of my favorite bowling balls during the pandemic - I decided to resurrect an idea that I've had for a while. Namely, to break them down physically and then recombine them into a "Frankenball".

* Rotogrip Critical Theory (first 300)
* Original Black Guru (first 230+ avg)
* Guru Mighty (second 300)
* Storm IQ Tour (old faithful)

Essentially, I made a fixture to bandsaw them into rough quadrants. Then a fixture to hold them on my CNC. Then CAD drawings and multiple operations to face, dimension, cut joinery, etc. Nothing complicated, but let me tell you - it took some time... Mostly because I don't have an ATC (automatic tool changer), and I had to take relatively light cuts with the dense cores and abrasive materials. It absolutely destroys carbide woodworking tools!

Anyway, my intention was to epoxy it together, run it in a sphere machine (it's pretty darn round already), spin it up in my determinator, layout/drill and roll some games with it.

Now I'm not so sure. It's kind of fun in it's own right as a 3d puzzle of sorts. As much as I'd like to roll it (random weird core and cover combo) it's kind of fun sitting on the shelf in it's current state.

Any thoughts? It obviously isn't legal, but I think it would be durable enough to survive impact. With the way the parts interlock, the dovetails should avoid anything catastrophic - so maybe I roll it, AND have a great conversation piece?

Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
16 mph (14-14.5 on monitor), 375 rpm, PAP 5 1/2 x 3/8 up, AT: 12*, AR: 45*
boomer
THS Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 6 3/16 x 1/2 up
Speed: 13.8 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 230
Preferred Company: Storm (it smells pretty)

Re: Frankenball - reuse, recycle?

Post by boomer »

that thing is really cool!