What is BowlingChat worth to you?

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

What is BowlingChat worth to you?

Post by MegaMav »

I received this message yesterday morning via the website admin email:
Hi,

Hope this day finds you and your community well. My name is XXXXXXXXXXX and I handle acquisitions with XXXXXXXXXX.
I wanted to connect with you to see if you would be interested in discussing an offer for your forum.
If you are, please let me know the best contact email so we can chat more.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon!

All the best,

XXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXX
Sometimes I get these email and have always declined, this time is no different.
BowlingChat means a great deal to me, but, hypothetically speaking, what is it worth to you, personally?
What would you do without BowlingChat?

BTW, we have about 4 years of domain hosting covered via the generous donations from the members.
Thank you! This is what keeps BowlingChat alive!

If you'd like to see BowlingChat stay alive even longer, please donate, I'm sure all the other members here would appreciate it as much as I do!

boomer
THS Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 6 3/16 x 1/2 up
Speed: 13.8 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 230
Preferred Company: Storm (it smells pretty)

Re: What is BowlingChat worth to you?

Post by boomer »

Honestly, if it were gone, I'd either go back to the one I used to read, or find a new one.

I'm getting a bit disillusioned with a couple of things:

a: the amount of fairly heavy-handed moderation, threads being closed mid-discussion, moderation seemingly when the poster disagrees with the moderator, etc. I've run forums in the past and while moderation is necessary, it needs to be even-handed, even light-handed where possible.

b: the lack of any real coaching anymore. That used to be one of the main reasons I came. Both community and pro - but since people post in the pro (because of course!) and there's really nobody responding. Kaj - you respond, but you just respond with a long list of videos, no actual coaching. Nobody else does.

How much is this forum worth to me? Honestly? Less than any other forum I read.
JimH
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by JimH »

I cannot agree about 'heavy handed moderation'. Some topics get closed but I do not think many have been closed or for poor reasons.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Eric, I think you do a fine job as moderator. The threads that I've seen that you've closed have been mostly in an effort to keep the peace so to speak. Of course, I'm not aware of every situation.

I agree with boomer comments about the paucity of customized instruction.

I don't recall anyone coming remotely close to Jim Merrell's contributions.
What Jim did took much more than instructional prowess, it took time,dedication, love of the sport and something approaching altruism.
Jim's 1:1 coaching was par excellence and rare if it all replicated.
As the song said, "He played real well for free".

One of my personal disclaimers (self anointed pointer dog)
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=10369&p=80012&hilit=Pointer#p80012

Insofar as coaching per second, as Paul Simon said in his song El Condor Pasa, " if I could, I surely would".

Stay safe everyone.

Be safe, be well, be happy.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
MegaMav

Post by MegaMav »

Thanks John and Jim.
I'm sure those that want anarchy, chaos, performance art for their entertainment are disappointed with the lack of drama here.
I havent had to give someone a break in 3+ years. If that's heavy handed, I dont know how to be lighter.
If you would like to review the bans and suspensions, there is a public thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3927

For coaching advice, I recommend looking at the wiki where Jim left some of his legacy with useful articles.
TomaHawk
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by TomaHawk »

BowlingChat allows for a discussion to be dealt with in real time as opposed to reading a magazine. Personally, I think BowlingChat is a much better read.

It seems, BowlingChat originated with a purpose, to provide information from a specified group of people in the industry. That has changed somewhat. Trying to educate people about the intricacies of the game through the internet, 24/7, would be a tremendous challenge even for the most dedicated bowling aficionado. So, the format has changed. That's ok...

Most of us know, bowling is a series of trials and errors, in fact, a lot of trials and errors. Anyone who has achieved a certain level of success knows that. Getting really good at this game takes tolerance, dedication, perception, and accepting one's own limitation. There is only so much an internet forum can do. BowlingChat does a good job of expressing the possibilities.
MegaMav

Post by MegaMav »

TomaHawk wrote: September 1st, 2020, 1:38 am BowlingChat allows for a discussion to be dealt with in real time as opposed to reading a magazine. Personally, I think BowlingChat is a much better read.

It seems, BowlingChat originated with a purpose, to provide information from a specified group of people in the industry. That has changed somewhat. Trying to educate people about the intricacies of the game through the internet, 24/7, would be a tremendous challenge even for the most dedicated bowling aficionado. So, the format has changed. That's ok...

Most of us know, bowling is a series of trials and errors, in fact, a lot of trials and errors. Anyone who has achieved a certain level of success knows that. Getting really good at this game takes tolerance, dedication, perception, and accepting one's own limitation. There is only so much an internet forum can do. BowlingChat does a good job of expressing the possibilities.
Thank you.
I know you're a veteran to bowling discussion on the internet.
I hope those that want intelligent discussion about bowling find BowlingChat a comfortable setting.
I think members like yourself(came from BBE), kajmk(came from PBA forum) have done a great job helping to build that reputation.

BowlingChat isnt as active as it was 5 years go, but that's the case for many websites like this.
Facebook has taken on a lot of traffic, but I think how things are being censored there and other media platforms, we'll see a snap back soon.
Facebook is ridiculous in general. Running that group of 5400+ was out of hand, not in a good way.
deanchamp
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
THS Average: 220

Post by deanchamp »

I am happy to do video analysis in the coaching section when I have the time and the required angles in real time are submitted, but as far as I have seen, there have only been a few videos posted in the certified coaching forum so far this year.
USBC Silver Level Coach
BCU Graduate - Mastery of Layouts
BTM contributor
Daryl
THS Average: 226
Positive Axis Point: 5 13/16 x 5/16 up
Speed: 15.38 at foul line
Rev Rate: 390
Axis Tilt: 18
Axis Rotation: 55

Post by Daryl »

BowlingChat has been an immense help to me. I think it is a forum any bowler should use as part of his bowling tool kit. I have had no problems with the moderating even in topics I have been involved in. I think any topics that were closed that I know of were appropriate. The wealth of information presented here on bowlingChat by all has been priceless.
Right Handed Stats:
RPM (off hand) 390
Speed (off hand) 15.3 mph
Axis Tilt; 18 degrees
Axis Rotation: 55 degrees
PAP: 5 13/16" x 5/16" up
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

deanchamp wrote: September 1st, 2020, 7:15 am I am happy to do video analysis in the coaching section when I have the time and the required angles in real time are submitted, but as far as I have seen, there have only been a few videos posted in the certified coaching forum so far this year.
Eric, in light of Dean's offer, perhaps a change to the forum intro to recommend videos might be helpful?

I know we have some other practicing coaches who might share Dean's sentiments.

No videos results in a 6 blind men and the elephant scenario.

Stay safe y'all.

John
MegaMav

Post by MegaMav »

We havent seen TonyPR since April.
Dean, do you have any interest in joining Tony in leading the certified coaching forum and group?
Not a lot of work there right now, but that may change with great direction!
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

MegaMav wrote: September 2nd, 2020, 12:47 pm We havent seen TonyPR since April.
Dean, do you have any interest in joining Tony in leading the certified coaching forum and group?
Not a lot of work there right now, but that may change with great direction!
Hurricane season and other circumstances may be curtailing Tony's participation.
Hopefully he and "his", are okay.

Dean, have you ever written or considered writing articles, a column, or a book on the art and science of bowling instruction?
I know you have given credit to your mentors and are carrying on that tradition by mentoring would be coaches.
Just wondering ...

John
deanchamp
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
THS Average: 220

Post by deanchamp »

Hi John, my latest BTM article was on the bowler/ coach relationship, and I'm currently writing one called 'What a teacher can teach a coach'.

Re Bowling Chat, I've learnt so much on here from 2010 onwards, plus getting a lot of outside support from Jim M and also helping him at times too.

I think a lot has changed in the last 10 years with the continued growth and use of different social media options around bowling, where forums like this may not get the attention they deserve, but to those in the know, it's like a secret goldmine.
USBC Silver Level Coach
BCU Graduate - Mastery of Layouts
BTM contributor
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

deanchamp wrote: September 3rd, 2020, 3:08 am Hi John, my latest BTM article was on the bowler/ coach relationship, and I'm currently writing one called 'What a teacher can teach a coach'.

Re Bowling Chat, I've learnt so much on here from 2010 onwards, plus getting a lot of outside support from Jim M and also helping him at times too.

I think a lot has changed in the last 10 years with the continued growth and use of different social media options around bowling, where forums like this may not get the attention they deserve, but to those in the know, it's like a secret goldmine.
Thanks Dean.

Mark Baker had interesting remarks and commentary on coaching on the Sept 2 Phantom Radio show.

9-2-20
ON NOW: Mark Baker
Instructor

https://kegel.squarespace.com/phantombl ... ntom-radio

Stay safe everyone ...

John
ballspoint
Speed: 20 mph off the hand
Rev Rate: 250
Axis Tilt: 11
Axis Rotation: 70

Post by ballspoint »

When i mentioned this site to a local ball driller, he went to page one about dual angle layouts an taught himself
how to use this system, he is now the best in our area.
Since covid there has been little on this site as few are bowling,
but i still recommend the site to everyone who has an interest to improve,
as this site is the 'real deal' hands down.
R/H, 20 mph off hand. 250 Revs.
11* Tilt. 70* Rotation. 5 5/8 x 1"up
KYBOB
THS Average: 214
Positive Axis Point: 4" Left - 1"^
Speed: 18-19 (off hand)
Rev Rate: 275
Axis Tilt: 23*
Axis Rotation: 50+-
Preferred Company: Morich, Radical

Post by KYBOB »

This forum is unique. The only reason I came is that I found out Mo was here and joined soon after he arrived. I stayed even after he left because I liked the format and the knowledge shared here. This is the only forum that keeps my attention. Mostly I read, sometimes participate. If it were to change in anyway I would most likely loose interest. My thought is if someone else takes over it would loose it's appeal. Hopefully not, but others have ideas of their own that would eventually creep in and then the luster is gone. Hang in there MegaMav, BUT you have to do what's best for you.
KyBOB

STATS:

LH
PAP = 4"< x 1"^
Speed = 18-19 off hand
Rev Rate = 250-275
AR = 45*-50*
AT = 23*
MegaMav

Post by MegaMav »

KYBOB wrote: October 31st, 2020, 12:52 am Hang in there MegaMav, BUT you have to do what's best for you.
As long as the community funds the hosting fees, BowlingChat will be here.
No worries. Thanks for being a loyal member.
TheJesus
Speed: 17mph (foul line)
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12

Post by TheJesus »

To me it is a great bowling resource/forum, even though Mo doesn't post here anymore and posts in his son new FB group. It seems people are generally moving to FB groups lately.
Check out my bowling related YouTube channel ! BOWLING XP ! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1cTYc ... Eynuk0qdIw :mrgreen:
Dustin
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts

Post by Dustin »

This forum as meant a great deal to me in the advancement of my knowledge in layouts and ball motion more than any other resource. I have been in the bowling business for almost 25 years and this site has taught me almost as much as experience has along the way. Along with others here I first came here when Mo referenced it in a BTM article. I took the BCU course and have a stack of information that i have printed from the Wiki over the years. I used to read every post and I mean EVERY post. Over the last couple of years I must admit I rarely pop in to see what's up mostly because I was going back to school full time and working full time. This place is a wealth of knowledge with fantastic people that have a deep passion for bowling. I don't think I could put and actual dollar amount on the value of BowlingChat. Keep up the great work Mav and I hope you can keep this running for decades to come.
* MPH @ aarows
* RPM
AR *
AT *
PAP 3 3/4"
(* rebuilding)

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson
TheJesus
Speed: 17mph (foul line)
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12

Post by TheJesus »

To me this forum was the kind of "not well known little source of knowledge". I feel bad that people have moved onto FB. Because they even "force" others to go there too. Previously i was looking around BBE, Ballreviews and PBA forums.
Check out my bowling related YouTube channel ! BOWLING XP ! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1cTYc ... Eynuk0qdIw :mrgreen: