where to move?

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

ballspoint
Speed: 20 mph off the hand
Rev Rate: 250
Axis Tilt: 11
Axis Rotation: 70

where to move?

Post by ballspoint »

Just a matter of interest, if i were to move my feet i board left, or move my target i board right, what move what have the most effect down lane? if any?
R/H, 20 mph off hand. 250 Revs.
11* Tilt. 70* Rotation. 5 5/8 x 1"up
deanchamp
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
THS Average: 220

Re: where to move?

Post by deanchamp »

For a right-hander, these moves are essentially creating a parallel launch angle about 1 board apart, but it's a bit more complex than that. Moving left 1 board with your feet may only create 1/2 board laydown difference depending on your approach, and over the same target, whereas same feet and target 1 board right could create slightly more launch angle - it also depends where your target is (the closer to the foul line the bigger the launch angle).

On a THS, the feet in the same place/ target 1 board right may find the friction slightly earlier and create more hook, depending on where you are making the adjustment and where the edge of the oil is. With your speed dominant shot, you may not notice much difference though.
USBC Silver Level Coach
BCU Graduate - Mastery of Layouts
BTM contributor
ballspoint
Speed: 20 mph off the hand
Rev Rate: 250
Axis Tilt: 11
Axis Rotation: 70

Post by ballspoint »

What i am looking at is just that fine adjustment, sometimes i carry the tenpin, sometimes not, without making a bigger move or ball, was just wondering which move would to give me the point of difference to carry the tenpin more consistently. We only play on sports patterns, now an then we get an easy one, or when the ball/surface is matched well.
R/H, 20 mph off hand. 250 Revs.
11* Tilt. 70* Rotation. 5 5/8 x 1"up
boomer
THS Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 6 3/16 x 1/2 up
Speed: 13.8 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 230
Preferred Company: Storm (it smells pretty)

Post by boomer »

so, once you're hitting the pocket, you can move a couple inches forward and backward. I use this as a fine-tune method. Move a little forward, you unconsciously slow your feet down a TOUCH so you won't foul (amazing how we work) but everything else stays the same and your entry point into the pocket changes just a touch. Move a touch backward and you also change your entry point into the pocket.

Your mileage may vary - it's what I do, it's what I was taught, and it works for me. :)
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Deans mention of your characteristic of speed dominance.

SWAG (Somewhat Wild A$$ Guess)
Being speed dominant, your ball might be hitting the pins a tad too soon and thus not reached its optimum state of ball motion (too much axis rotation left) .
A best bowling buddy of mine with above average talent was speed dominant.
At times I think his ball would arrive too early and after the smoke cleared, the 10 pin would be there.

Perhaps not coincidentally, as he entered middle age his carry percentage rose.
Chances are, his rpm:speed ratio improved.

http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... all_Motion
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John