Is this ball drilled upside down or wrong?

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

TomaHawk
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Re: Is this ball drilled upside down or wrong?

Post by TomaHawk »

greggas wrote: July 31st, 2020, 10:29 pm That's what I told him. I don't think he believed me.Image
You can include three guys that actually drill bowling balls for a living into the equation.
TomaHawk
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by TomaHawk »

Gotta add something here, based on your description of your new track / oil ring, you’re over working the ball. To get that sort of roll, you’re basically releasing the ball like a tennis player applying “top spin” to a tennis ball.

The premise behind no thumb bowling is to gain higher rev rates, try to resist over turning the ball.
boomer
THS Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 6 3/16 x 1/2 up
Speed: 13.8 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 230
Preferred Company: Storm (it smells pretty)

Post by boomer »

greggas wrote: July 31st, 2020, 10:29 pm That's what I told him. I don't think he believed me.Image
I don't think he doesn't believe you. He just hasn't responded yet. :)

Starion - not everyone uses grips. My no-thumb buddies don't use grips. I know - very strange! LOL
Pinbuster

Post by Pinbuster »

Without weighing the ball and finding the center of gravity before drilling you don't know for sure where the CG is.

Most of the time the manufactures get the CG correct but I have seen balls where the true top CG was on the opposite side of the ball from the label stamp.

You can't determine the weights in a ball by simply looking at the ball and position of the holes.

For a full roller that is the classic drill pattern. It will make the ball flare away from the thumb and fingers if tracking as a full roller.
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

There is some basic information needed to figure this out.
The first being the PAP, Positive Axis Point.
Location of the First oil ring is the next bit of info needed.
From this information the Tilt then can be found.
With this information we can then determine if this drilling is acceptable.

Chances are if the initial track runs under the middle finger the Full Roller layout was needed to keep the ball from flaring over the finger holes.

See the following link to help determine this info...
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=373
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
Starion
THS Average: 170

Post by Starion »

Just seeing these responses now (didn't get the email notification for some reason).

^Thanks Greg!! That totally clears up the engraved hand marker issue. Esp. when you noted the Baller doesn't have it. I'll not assume negatively on my first PSO, but still I'll still seek a certified PSO to get my #s evaluated then figure layout options for a redrill of the Resurgence & initial on the Baller.

I've learned a lot from this board but don't trust myself to get all my #s right on my own the first time and drill from it. My rotating ball adjustment presents a particular set of variables also: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14772

I'll post here once I do & can then ponder what's been going on so far with this current full roller layout and my #s.
Last edited by Starion on August 7th, 2020, 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
ICURNVS
THS Average: 220
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2 -> 3/4 up
Speed: 16.8 Monitor
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 11
Axis Rotation: 30
Heavy Oil Ball: Zen Master
Medium Oil Ball: Power Torq / UFO Alert / Honey Badger Revival
Light Oil Ball: Marvel Pearl / Stellar
Preferred Company: What ever is on Sale

Post by ICURNVS »

TomaHawk wrote: July 30th, 2020, 3:38 am That particular ball has a longer cg to pin than most commonly drilled bowling balls, that makes drill pattern look unusual. And, the fact that you are a no thumb bowler makes it look even more unusual.

There is definitely something the pro shop operator noticed when he or she watched you roll the ball. The ball is drilled according to what they saw. It is perfectly legal. If it seems to roll as you expected, try to forget about the way the drill pattern looks. That goes for what everyone else is saying about it too ;-)

That makes more sense... Before posting i tried to look to see if that was the CG mark.. apparently it is.. My point is still valid.. without the X in the palm the ball is still illegal as of August 1st. Drop a X in there and the ball will be fine.
** UPDATED STATS AS OF 6-06-19 **
Right Hand
PAP 4 1/2-> 3/4 up
ROTATION 20 - 30
TILT 11.5*
MPH 14.5-15.2 MONITOR
RPM 350-375
RIP Visionary Bowling Products.....