Returning to bowling after COVID Shutdown

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

magicmike
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 4-1/2"> 3/4"^
Speed: 17 off my hand
Rev Rate: 325
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Jackal Ghost, Forge Flare
Medium Oil Ball: Forge Fire, Jackal Flash, Venom Shock
Light Oil Ball: Supra, Desert Tank
Preferred Company: Motiv

Returning to bowling after COVID Shutdown

Post by magicmike »

How's everyone doing with the return to bowling after the shutdown? You going to be racing back to your local center as soon as it opens or taking some extra time off?

I was all amped up, practicing almost every day, in March getting ready for my groups trip to Reno when everything came to a halt. I'm finding that having some time off was good at first to relax, and reset. Of late though, i've been itching to bowl regularly again though now that things have settled down here in Illinois, but centers aren't allowed to open til June 26th.

I did get a chance to toss a few balls last week and it felt great to bowl, but was a very weird dynamic not having others around, and no competition, which I think is really the biggest piece I miss. I'm rambling, but I guess I just miss bowling and talking bowling.
MegaMav
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Re: Returning to bowling after COVID Shutdown

Post by MegaMav »

No signs of starting back up in NY.
I think most bowlers will continue to take the summer off like they usually do, which could mean peril for many centers needing the business right away.
If you want to continue to bowl at your local center, START BOWLING IMMEDIATELY AFTER THEY REOPEN.
magicmike
Positive Axis Point: 4-1/2"> 3/4"^
Speed: 17 off my hand
Rev Rate: 325
Axis Tilt: 17
Heavy Oil Ball: Jackal Ghost, Forge Flare
Medium Oil Ball: Forge Fire, Jackal Flash, Venom Shock
Light Oil Ball: Supra, Desert Tank
Preferred Company: Motiv

Post by magicmike »

MegaMav wrote: June 14th, 2020, 1:48 pm No signs of starting back up in NY.
I think most bowlers will continue to take the summer off like they usually do, which could mean peril for many centers needing the business right away.
If you want to continue to bowl at your local center, START BOWLING IMMEDIATELY AFTER THEY REOPEN.
I bolded your last point there, that is absolutely huge. My home town has a really reliable group but I can only hope we can bring enough business to support them. A town over, Peru, IL from me got new owners the day before the shutdown hit, i'm a bit worried for them, but the owners still have day jobs and they are going to do everything they can to make it work, and i'll definitely stop in as much as I can after they are allowed to reopen.

I just worry a lot about the older community that makes up the majority of leagues here not coming back.
walterp
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Positive Axis Point: 4 5/8 over, 5/8 up
Speed: 16 Foul line.
Rev Rate: 250
Axis Tilt: 13
Heavy Oil Ball: Rotogrip X1 RST
Medium Oil Ball: Nuclear Cell
Light Oil Ball: Fast Pitch polished with slip agent
Preferred Company: Storm/Rotogrip/Global 900

Post by walterp »

MegaMav wrote: June 14th, 2020, 1:48 pm No signs of starting back up in NY.
I hear that... in the city it's even worst, we're still in Phase 1 and the mayor, our wonderful mayor, wants to postpone phase 2 until the middle of July sometime... Only thing we will be able to do is support our local centers when we open up again... Looks like NJ will open up before NYC,,,, Gonna drive even more bowlers from bowling in Staten Island to bowling in New Jersey..
USBC Silver Level Coach
BowlU 1 star certified coach
Ritger Level 3 coach
IBPSIA certified Technician
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

magicmike wrote: June 14th, 2020, 2:06 pm I bolded your last point there, that is absolutely huge. My home town has a really reliable group but I can only hope we can bring enough business to support them. A town over, Peru, IL from me got new owners the day before the shutdown hit, i'm a bit worried for them, but the owners still have day jobs and they are going to do everything they can to make it work, and i'll definitely stop in as much as I can after they are allowed to reopen.

I just worry a lot about the older community that makes up the majority of leagues here not coming back.
Shooting from the lip.

Regarding the older community bowler's. I reside in a senior community with 3 bowling centers. Initially, they are planning on limiting lane occupancy to 3.
Conjecture off the top of my head.
On the premise that some is better than none, smaller team sizes could be considered. Of the top of my head, 2 per team, standard 3 game sets, structure time squads, consider rotating squad shifts, this week early, next week late. Offer lane rental in slack time.
Taking an example from lunch 'n bowl non sanctioned leagues at the University I used to work at.
Short shift leagues of 2 per team, 2 game sets. Typically this fits 1 hour slots.
The short shift could be used to fill cracks in the overall schedule.

Be well, be safe, be happy.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
RobMautner
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Preferred Company: No Preference

Post by RobMautner »

I went to the bowling center yesterday to pick up league money. I decided to bowl a couple of games since I have not touched a ball for the last three months. The center was renting single lanes, every other one for open play. I was very distressed to see that I was the only bowler in the place who was wearing a mask. It we are not very careful, it's all going to be shut down again. Please be careful and follow the social distancing guidelines. Wear a mask. Wash and sanitize your hands. If we don't pass it, the virus will die out. If we continue to pass it, this will continue for a long, long time.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

RobMautner wrote: June 15th, 2020, 4:51 pm I went to the bowling center yesterday to pick up league money. I decided to bowl a couple of games since I have not touched a ball for the last three months. The center was renting single lanes, every other one for open play. I was very distressed to see that I was the only bowler in the place who was wearing a mask. It we are not very careful, it's all going to be shut down again. Please be careful and follow the social distancing guidelines. Wear a mask. Wash and sanitize your hands. If we don't pass it, the virus will die out. If we continue to pass it, this will continue for a long, long time.
Rob you hit the target dead center. I was going to reply several days ago, and comment on the mask situation. I'm glad you mentioned it.
Unfortunately to an extent, this has become a political statement.
Masks are worn to PROTECT and RESPECT others, this should not be news to anyone at this juncture. In the Sun City Arizona a senior community, many people are not wearing masks. The same is true in surrounding areas. Perhaps it's not a coincidence, that cases are spiking.
Though the mortality rate is higher among older people and those with known health challenges, it has killed the young, including infants.
The virus is insidiously spread by asymptomatic (not showing symptoms yet) people as well as those showing symptoms, thus 1 carrier can infect many others. In essence a walking frag grenade.
Please practice best practices as recommended by the CDC.
You may just save some lives.

John
boomer
THS Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 6 3/16 x 1/2 up
Speed: 13.8 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 230
Preferred Company: Storm (it smells pretty)

Post by boomer »

let's not get into the hows and whys of wearing masks. Literally, the science is mixed as is what mask is worn and how it's worn.

BTW - also, WHO and CDC are both saying that asymptomatics are NOT spreading the disease. That was the justification for lockdowns and masks early on, but they are both saying (in the past week) that that assumption was not true. So - since THAT'S mixed in message as well, I move we leave that out as well and just stick to bowling and supporting our bowling centers.
RobMautner
Certified Coach
Certified Coach

Post by RobMautner »

Forget about what the CDC and WHO says. Common sense says that wearing at mask, practicing social distancing, and washing and sanitizing your hands frequently (along with not touching your face), will slow the spread of the virus. I, personally, do not want to see the virus continue to spread because people are just unwilling to use common sense to stop it or, at least, slow it down. Just keep supporting your bowling centers until they are all closed because they've been shut down for another year. Just my opinion.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Before we get into a war over things, let's agree to disagree.
The CDC has a website and folks can visit and subscribe to email updates.
WHO and Johns Hopkins are other resources. PBS ran a story June 13
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/cdc ... f-covid-19
The lay person turns to "experts" for guidance and enlightenment.
Personally I'd err on the side of caution.
We can all agree on supporting local centers, bowler's and growing the sport.

Stay safe and be healthy

John
RobMautner
Certified Coach
Certified Coach

Post by RobMautner »

I really don't think it's a matter of agreeing to disagree. Just use logic. Will wearing masks, practicing social distancing, and washing and sanitizing your hands prevent the spread of the disease? Probably. Will ignoring all of these things help prevent the prevent the spread of the disease? No. Err on the side of caution and do the things that have a chance of preventing the spread, rather than just finding something that supports what you want to do to support your point of view. Err on the side of caution. What does it cost you? Doing what you don't want to do? Please, just deal with it. Let's get past this.
TomaHawk
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by TomaHawk »

Admittedly, since the beginning of this pandemic, I have gone into a self protection mode. I did not / do not want to contract the virus. The virus is not deadly to all that contract it, but it is deadly to some. Recently, a very, very good friend came down with COVID-19, ended up in the hospital, lost 30 pounds really fast. He survived, but in his words, he believed it was the end.

So, we miss bowling, we miss a lot of things for that matter. People are having a hard time wrapping their heads around the fact, this is a deadly disease. Because it seems so distant to so many, the necessary measures to remain safe are not being taken.

Some of the people, just like WHO, have fallen prey to the economic impact the virus has created. We don't have to be geniuses to see how money can change someone's tune.

Others, in local government, have projected the devastation COVID-19 will bring. They are ridiculed for refusing to back down. Simple, it is not safe, probably won't be for a while.

It's like this, let's say a nuclear bomb exploded a few days ago. Wouldn't you want to know when it's safe to go outside? More importantly, would you believe them?
Daryl
THS Average: 226
Positive Axis Point: 5 13/16 x 5/16 up
Speed: 15.38 at foul line
Rev Rate: 390
Axis Tilt: 18

Post by Daryl »

My bowling brothers and sisters I have been a practicing doctor for over 30 years and I am required to keep up to date on the science of health. Here is a quote from the World Health Organization (WHO) from just a week or so ago up dating their guidelines on mask wearing.

“The widespread use of masks by healthy people in the community setting is not yet supported by high quality or direct scientific evidence and there are potential benefits and harms to consider…the use of a mask alone is insufficient to provide an adequate level of protection.”

In a nut shell wearing masks all day long is NOT supported by the science. Wearing masks long term suppresses your immune system and greatly reduces your blood oxygen levels creating a toxic hypoxic condition. This is what the established medical science says. Even the CDC says the same thing in a different indirect way. When one examines the scientific facts wearing masks by healthy people and social distancing is not supported by medical science. If you wish to exam the facts by experts in the field of immunology and virology I suggest looking up Dr. Andrew Kaufman, Dr. Rashid Buttar, Dr. Delores Cahil to name a few. Some of their interviews can be seen at londonreal.tv or youtube.

So get outside and socialize. It is one of the ways in which we make our immune system stronger. And think about it. If God wanted us to wear masks he would have created us with one. Instead he gave us a powerful immune system to fight germs. So focus on eating good foods and drinking clean water, and research the science for yourself.
Right Handed Stats:
RPM (off hand) 390
Speed (off hand) 15.3 mph
Axis Tilt; 18 degrees
Axis Rotation: 55 degrees
PAP: 5 13/16" x 5/16" up
TomaHawk
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by TomaHawk »

Daryl wrote: June 16th, 2020, 1:51 pm My bowling brothers and sisters I have been a practicing doctor for over 30 years and I am required to keep up to date on the science of health. Here is a quote from the World Health Organization (WHO) from just a week or so ago up dating their guidelines on mask wearing.

“The widespread use of masks by healthy people in the community setting is not yet supported by high quality or direct scientific evidence and there are potential benefits and harms to consider…the use of a mask alone is insufficient to provide an adequate level of protection.”

In a nut shell wearing masks all day long is NOT supported by the science. Wearing masks long term suppresses your immune system and greatly reduces your blood oxygen levels creating a toxic hypoxic condition. This is what the established medical science says. Even the CDC says the same thing in a different indirect way. When one examines the scientific facts wearing masks by healthy people and social distancing is not supported by medical science. If you wish to exam the facts by experts in the field of immunology and virology I suggest looking up Dr. Andrew Kaufman, Dr. Rashid Buttar, Dr. Delores Cahil to name a few. Some of their interviews can be seen at londonreal.tv or youtube.

So get outside and socialize. It is one of the ways in which we make our immune system stronger. And think about it. If God wanted us to wear masks he would have created us with one. Instead he gave us a powerful immune system to fight germs. So focus on eating good foods and drinking clean water, and research the science for yourself.
Here's a link that closely relates to your description:https://www.bbc.com/news/world-52015486

Curiously though, our pro shop is small, the grand total, 11ft x 11ft in the display area. The drill area is separated from the showroom, there is a window and a doorway. That room is about 7ft x 11ft.

Before the outbreak, it was normal to have 5 or 6 people in the showroom along with a couple of people in the drill area at the same time. Let's say, we open back up and go about business as usual. Then it happens, one of those people prove to be asymtomatic. That person sneezes or coughs. Later on that night they are taken to the hospital with full blown COVID-19.

Are you saying, that the proper mask would have done little to protect the other 7 individuals? What can we expect from that sort of exposure? Should we start drinking some sort of disinfectant (uh-hum, do not do that) or take hydroxychloroquine?
Last edited by TomaHawk on June 17th, 2020, 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MegaMav

Post by MegaMav »

I think we should relax a little bit here and focus on solutions that help.
Focus on the probable, not the possible.
TomaHawk
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by TomaHawk »

MegaMav wrote: June 16th, 2020, 8:52 pm I think we should relax a little bit here and focus on solutions that help.
Mav, that is precisely the point, no one really knows what to focus on. We do know a couple of things, older people with underlying conditions are more at risk and the virus is mutating into different strains.

The pro shop environment presented in my previous post is real, not an exaggeration. There are a lot of older people that frequent the center. If an authoritative figure says: "the use of a mask alone is insufficient to provide an adequate level of protection". Well, I'm all ears.

The day is coming, we will open the shop. People are already calling, asking how we're going to go about business. It is imperative that correct, unbiased, non-politically based information is rendered so as to allow us to conduct business safely.
MegaMav

Post by MegaMav »

I agree with you.
Lets keep it more level headed than to suggest "drinking disinfectant".
So, lets please keep it non-political.
walterp
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Positive Axis Point: 4 5/8 over, 5/8 up
Speed: 16 Foul line.
Rev Rate: 250
Axis Tilt: 13
Heavy Oil Ball: Rotogrip X1 RST
Medium Oil Ball: Nuclear Cell
Light Oil Ball: Fast Pitch polished with slip agent
Preferred Company: Storm/Rotogrip/Global 900

Post by walterp »

MegaMav wrote: June 16th, 2020, 8:52 pm I think we should relax a little bit here and focus on solutions that help.
Indeed we should. I always try and focus on the probable. I'm just curios what steps Pro Shops are going to take, Towards that end I'll start a new thread there.
USBC Silver Level Coach
BowlU 1 star certified coach
Ritger Level 3 coach
IBPSIA certified Technician
Daryl
THS Average: 226
Positive Axis Point: 5 13/16 x 5/16 up
Speed: 15.38 at foul line
Rev Rate: 390
Axis Tilt: 18

Post by Daryl »

I agree completely. We all need to relax. A relaxed mind can think better. If one is concerned than they need to turn off the TV, relax the mind, and do some research. The TV news is designed to hype people up. The doctors who are experts in the fields of concern that I listed in my last response are a good place to start. This is why I give every one of my patients a list of reliable websites where they can relax and learn the science of health on their own. One does not need a masters or doctorate degree to do this. Only common sense.
Right Handed Stats:
RPM (off hand) 390
Speed (off hand) 15.3 mph
Axis Tilt; 18 degrees
Axis Rotation: 55 degrees
PAP: 5 13/16" x 5/16" up
TomaHawk
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by TomaHawk »

Daryl wrote: June 17th, 2020, 1:29 pm I agree completely. We all need to relax. A relaxed mind can think better. If one is concerned than they need to turn off the TV, relax the mind, and do some research. The TV news is designed to hype people up. The doctors who are experts in the fields of concern that I listed in my last response are a good place to start. This is why I give every one of my patients a list of reliable websites where they can relax and learn the science of health on their own. One does not need a masters or doctorate degree to do this. Only common sense.
Daryl, the one thing about interacting on the net, we don't know who is behind the keyboard. People who really know me say, I write like I talk. When I talk, I use a lot of gestures, facial expressions, and tonal changes. In actuality, I am not a harsh person at all. But, my wife says, it doesn't come across that way on paper...lol

To provide a little more insight, I've always been, always will be, very health conscientious. Psychologically, I'm the person that says, we can get this done regardless of how daunting the task might be.

We are a very busy shop with very limited space. How do we conduct business in a safe manner? So, I've been thinking about what you said. Basically, I'm in total agreement, but........

You, as a doctor, are exposed to the intricacies of the human body in a manner most all of us will never experience. People in the pro shop business are too, at least compared to most other people in the work place. We'll deal with hands, all the time. Scary thought in today's COVID-19 environment, wouldn't you say? Do you know how many do not wash their hands in a bowling center?

I am trying to wrap my head around this pandemic. We know, hygiene is probably the number component that could reduce the transmission of this disease. From that perspective, why does it matter if a person wears a mask?

Answer: Because the person probably cares.
Last edited by TomaHawk on June 17th, 2020, 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.