Completely forgetting what to do when the time is right for it

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Completely forgetting what to do when the time is right for it

Post by krava »

Since there isn't much going on at the current time, I have had time to reflect.

I went to the bowling tournament in baton rouge. The 2nd day of the tournament, we bowled at all star lanes. 1st day at circle bowl the lanes acted "normal" At all star lanes, in practice I tried to play the lanes the same but it didn't work. This was the first time this season that I didn't see my ball come back (aka hook much). We had 2 handers on the lanes, and they were playing 2nd arrow and their ball missed right of the pocket also. My cousin with 2 fingers missed right. I started trying to swing the ball out a little and it didn't make it back. Then I decided to play straighter like at nationals and still it didn't come back. I balled up from a game breaker 3 to a hammer ripped to a radical conspiracy. I threw it up 10 and was missing the pocket 2-3 boards right. I kept saying I am almost there maybe try to put more hand, threw it a little slower etc. Basically it took me until the 5th or 6th frame before i got the ball to hook going up 10 by using a Phaze III. There are no lane markers on the lanes and it didn't look like the ball was going long or anything like that. Keep in mind, I haven't had sleep for 3 days when I started bowling that morning.

I can see where I went from throwing 12 to 8 and back in, to trying to throw straighter up 10. Once I tried throwing the ball up 10 and was short a few boards, why didn't I move 2 and 2 to the left and try that?? Throw straight up 12. What happened to that through process? (everyone on both lanes continued to miss right of the head pin until the lanes broke down) Even if I moved 2 and 2 and it was a bit high, I could have moved 1 and 1 to the right or moved my breakpoint a board to the right to compensate. It didn't even come to me to think of even doing that. I was so close to making it work I tried to force it to work. By doing this, I ended up with like 150-160 game. 2nd game shot 256 etc.

During the 6 games, I moved 18 boards left (started at 24 throwing up 10, to 42 throwing across 16/17 and out to probably 8-10 with the phaze III. I tried to use the conspiracy there but the ball wouldn't let me project it too far to the right. The shiny coverstock of the Phaze III did.
Has anyone else ever not make the proper adjustment they should have done, knowing they should have done it? The only thing that I can think of is that I didn't want to start too far left because I didn't want to end way far left. When you go to nationals people tell you to start as far right as you can and then come in.

Has anyone went to a center that had an extra dot? I haven't ever been to to a center that had more dots then what I have at my bowling alley. I missed a few cross lane spares because I would stand where I would at my center and think something isn't right and then get up to the foul line and say "no way" this isn't the right angle at all and then try to fix it at the very end and that didn't work out well. I have learned a lesson, bowl at the place you are bowling at first before it is time to bowl to get a feel for the lanes. It was a huge learning experience for me because the 1st bowling center it was almost impossible to slide even with the strongest heel and other part. I know what I need to do when that happens again.
boomer
THS Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 6 3/16 x 1/2 up
Speed: 13.8 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 230
Preferred Company: Storm (it smells pretty)

Re: Completely forgetting what to do when the time is right for it

Post by boomer »

you mean dots at your feet? Yeah - I've been to centers with the extra dots or . . . centers without the extra dots. :)

They're the same - 5 boards apart. You don't need it.

One recommendation - since 10 board is typically around where the oil is, so you're still playing in the oil. You're not really getting to the friction - do some practice at playing "the twig" which is 5 and outside. You'll see some of the pros playing it on certain patterns. I saw Norm and a number of others playing it last year (don't remember what it was on. . .)- no matter what it's a great thing to know. I am NOT comfortable with it, but I do try to practice it.
TomaHawk
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by TomaHawk »

"Has anyone else ever not make the proper adjustment they should have done, knowing they should have done it?"

As our game improves, it is conceivable, we will question ourselves. Reason? We might not have enough experience or confidence in ourselves to definitively think, this is the proper move / do it. Sometimes, even if we can see what needs to be done, our particular game may not be conducive to getting the ball into the proper roll at the proper time.

As a hall of fame bowler once told me: "Sometimes you just have to take your 190's and leave". He was saying; you're not going to match up every time, every where.

In your case, it looks like you made some good moves. You mentioned scores of 160 and 250, what did you do in the rest of the games? More importantly, will you be able to "see" that same scenario again and adjust sooner, rather than later.
krava
Probation
Probation

Post by krava »

I didn't try to throw the ball to the gutter because I didn't see it getting any friction there. I can play inside of 5 if needed, but I doubt that was the correct shot.

I meant the dot at the feet. For example I see a 10 pin. I put my left foot 7 boards left of the last dot and throw accross 4th arrow. Or I can do 2 boards left and throw 3rd arrow. So I didn't count 5 and 5 etc I just found the last dot and did it there. I missed 3-4 spares doing that until I got it correct.

The other games I am not sure of. I didn't do well at all my best guess was I shot 632 with the 150 game for doubles and then shot 560-580 or something for singles after putting a 232 in there somewhere. The last game was horrible. I made 3 adjustments left in a row and got red circle 7's (split) each time I made an adjustment of 2 and 1 or something. I had another 150 or so at the last game with 3 splits and no doubles I don't think. I didn't find the shot until real late in the game 9th or 10th frame.

I signed up for the sport league for the summer to get me more training to deal with things. If there is a summer league.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Krava, remember, the bigger one in the row of dots is always 20.

Given our latest pandemic, check out some bowling ed material.
Remember, many have been reviewed on this form and listed on our wiki. ;) ;) ;)
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
boomer

Post by boomer »

krava wrote: March 24th, 2020, 7:28 am I didn't try to throw the ball to the gutter because I didn't see it getting any friction there. I can play inside of 5 if needed, but I doubt that was the correct shot.

I meant the dot at the feet. For example I see a 10 pin. I put my left foot 7 boards left of the last dot and throw accross 4th arrow. Or I can do 2 boards left and throw 3rd arrow. So I didn't count 5 and 5 etc I just found the last dot and did it there. I missed 3-4 spares doing that until I got it correct.
Those are the dots I was meaning as well. Just gotta pay attention. I don't ever count "dots" anymore - they are now 20, 25, 30 - and I'm weird so I also go -5 (for 15), -10 (for 10), etc. because I'm strange. It's just the way my brain works. But by counting boards, not dots, a house won't ever throw you again.
The other games I am not sure of. I didn't do well at all my best guess was I shot 632 with the 150 game for doubles and then shot 560-580 or something for singles after putting a 232 in there somewhere. The last game was horrible. I made 3 adjustments left in a row and got red circle 7's (split) each time I made an adjustment of 2 and 1 or something. I had another 150 or so at the last game with 3 splits and no doubles I don't think. I didn't find the shot until real late in the game 9th or 10th frame.
Which is why we have to read the lane and watch the shot. If you made a "2 and 1 or something" move and it left you a split (I'm assuming high) then you didn't make enough of a move - but from what you said, it sounds more like you made that little move, and you left the 2-8-10 split. With the shot the way you described, you had little grip anywhere inside of 10 and would have cruised through leaving that split instead of being high. So moving left 2-1 would not have helped at all. . .

Rather playing "up the twig" - NOT SWINGING OUT TO 5, but rather laying down AT 5 or even outside and rolling straight down 5 . . . It's unnerving. It's against our nature.
krava
Probation
Probation

Post by krava »

I know boomer that is what gets me. When do you know to make like a 8 or 10 board move left and 5 board move left at the arrows? I am used to half a board moves, then I did 1 board moves and I just started doing the 2 and 1. I can do a 20 board jump right and throw up the boards, but that is because I know the lanes are fried at the time. I don't know the situation of the left side of the lanes. I do watch to see where people are playing and people weren't really playing that much in that area.
boomer

Post by boomer »

Let your ball tell you.

If you hit your marks, rolled your line, and your ball is telling you you're nuts, then you're either using the wrong ball or on the wrong part of the lane.

If you hit your marks, rolled your line, and your ball is telling you that you're CLOSE, then make the small adjustment. Even a 2-1 or 3-1 or 2 - those are still fairly small adjustments to get you into the area. If those don't work, then your ball is telling you you're nuts so use the previous rule.

If you hit your marks, rolled your line and it JUMPED or DIDN"T MOVE, then your ball is SCREAMING at you that you're nuts. See rule 1.

As always, those are semi-humorous rules-of-thumb and take them as such. :P
TomaHawk
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by TomaHawk »

krava wrote: March 24th, 2020, 7:28 amI signed up for the sport league for the summer to get me more training to deal with things. If there is a summer league.
Sport leagues are great! The one thing bowlers learn in a hurry (I hope), let the ball go, resist the urge to try and make the ball do something.

Most sport leagues supply information regarding the oil pattern, start off by utilizing the Rule of 31. A bowler must understand, one style of execution does not fit all lane conditions. Physical versatility is of utmost importance. That means adapting your armswing, shoulder position, and hand angles to get the ball into the proper area.

Hopefully, we will be back up and bowling soon. That would be a great indication that all is well once again!
krava
Probation
Probation

Post by krava »

I was in a sport league last year but didn't know how to throw the ball properly until recently so hopefully things are different. And yes hopefully things return to normal soon but thing aren't looking good. Someone told me I can't even leave the state now but hopefully in the next few weeks things clear up.