Arm Injury

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

SRB442
THS Average: 220
Positive Axis Point: 4 9/16 over 1 1/8 up
Speed: 14 mph at pins
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 61
Heavy Oil Ball: Roto Grip Exotic Gem, Gem Roto Grip Helios
Medium Oil Ball: Roto Grip PBR
Light Oil Ball: Roto Grip Camo
Preferred Company: Roto Grip

Arm Injury

Post by SRB442 »

Hi All, After 2 hip replacements and a couple of years I finally was getting back to bowling the way I did before stopping back in 2001. So my shoulder has been sore but getting better the last 6 weeks. On my leaque tuesday in the first game I was throwing at a 10 pin and I had a severe pain in my right upper arm. My muscle swelled up ands the next day was very bruised and swollen. I have a appointment with a orthepedic doctor/surgeon this coming monday but wondering if anyone else has had this happen. I did finish the night which I probably should not have done. Steve
Right Handed
PAP 4 9/16 over 1 1/8 up
Tilt 13 Degrees
Axis Tilt 61 Degrees
Rev Rate 300
Speed 14 MPH at the pins

Current Arsenal Roto Grip Exotic Gem, Gem. Helios, UC2, Camo and Own it Spare ball.
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Re: Arm Injury

Post by 44boyd »

Could be bicep strain/tear, just take it easy
Stacy
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Good luck, I hope you get a good report from the doctor.

What Is the RICE Method for Injuries?

https://www.webmd.com/first-aid/rice-method-injuries
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
bksmith81

Post by bksmith81 »

As others have stated, it sounds like something to do with the Biceps Tendon at the shoulder. I had a similar injury while bowling except that mine was a ruptured biceps tendon at the elbow. Hopefully, it is just a strain and you will be back to normal in no time.
SRB442

Post by SRB442 »

Thanks for the replys. I have to wait till Monday to have it looked at and have to stop thinking the worse. I did talk to my primary care MD and he thinks it may be a ligamnet that I might not need? It's all speculation now. I am not in a huge amount of pain and it looks a lot worse (bruised from my wrist to into my bicep) than it feels. I am guessing I will need a MRI on it to get the exact problem. I have full range of motion and still feel strong. The worse case is I have to switch to left handed but would rather stay righty. Steve
Right Handed
PAP 4 9/16 over 1 1/8 up
Tilt 13 Degrees
Axis Tilt 61 Degrees
Rev Rate 300
Speed 14 MPH at the pins

Current Arsenal Roto Grip Exotic Gem, Gem. Helios, UC2, Camo and Own it Spare ball.
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

The good thing, if there can be any good with an injury, the upper bicep has 2 tendons and you can still function with only one attached.
Both my wife and a cousin had complete tears of one tendon and both are still bowling effectively.
I bowl with another guy that has had lots of trouble with his shoulder. Ligament problems like your MD mentioned, he doesn't have a couple of the ligaments. He still bowls 2 times a week.
I injured the lower tendon of my bicep, tendon to muscle tear, that took a long time to heal. I did not need surgery but it was close to 2 years before I didn't have pain when trying to achieve a full range of motion.

Good luck with your diagnosis and recovery
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

SRB442 wrote: March 7th, 2020, 2:40 pm Thanks for the replys. I have to wait till Monday to have it looked at and have to stop thinking the worse. I did talk to my primary care MD and he thinks it may be a ligamnet that I might not need? It's all speculation now. I am not in a huge amount of pain and it looks a lot worse (bruised from my wrist to into my bicep) than it feels. I am guessing I will need a MRI on it to get the exact problem. I have full range of motion and still feel strong. The worse case is I have to switch to left handed but would rather stay righty. Steve
Early 2019, I either tore or worsened existing tears in several rotator cuff muscles.
I had xrays then an MRI. Once those results were received by my GP, I was referred to an Orthopedic surgeon. He reviewed the reports and visuals and had me get xray, on site. He ascertained that my situation was worse than was reported, but did not need surgery. One of the tears is high grade.
Major points: Xrays may reveal more, his opinion is that they are more appropriate, additionally, he mentioned that in his experience, the initial reports were often spot on.
Regarding switching to left handed: I would advise doing some bowling fitness drills to see how much if any muscle imbalances you have. The first time out of the gate, you may very well have unusual soreness, possible balance issues. It's possible that your flexibility and mobility differ from side to side.

Also, take Ron Clifton's test http://www.bowl4fun.com/ron/tip14.htm

From Ron
" The first thing I check when trying to pick a ball weight is the persons wrist strength. I have them hold the ball down by their side with their wrist relaxed. Then I ask them to cup their wrist forward. They should be able to hold that position for a slow count to 10 or the ball is too heavy. This goes for men and women. I have seen a lot of men and women that could fire a 15 or even 16LB ball down the lane but can not pass my wrist test with them. If you can't pass the wrist test, then you can't have a good strong release or much versatility in releases. I know there are a lot of senior bowlers out there that would be much happier with a 14lb ball, but are struggling along with a 15 or 16 because they are afraid they would loose too much carry. Fear no more. The ball technology is here today. Just visit your local pro shop. "

Best wishes !!!

John
SRB442

Post by SRB442 »

Thanks Eric and John, Had my doctor visit today and they did x-ray the area and what we know for sure is a torn bicep muscle. They want a MRI done to check the severity and if I have any rotator damage Dr. thinks there will be a partial tear but wants the mri to see what treatment. My bowling season is over and hope I don't need a operation so I will be good in the fall. I am toying with the idea of having a ball drilled for my left hand to see if I have any game at all. My balance is good and have stepped out the approach. Steve
Right Handed
PAP 4 9/16 over 1 1/8 up
Tilt 13 Degrees
Axis Tilt 61 Degrees
Rev Rate 300
Speed 14 MPH at the pins

kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Here's hoping for a complete recovery.
I had injured and reinjured my right hand a long time ago. The league voted to let me finish the season left handed. I painted a white stripe down the back and wore it as my bowling shirt!

I recently became aware of this website and posted the link and a few videos of hers.
Bowling with the other hand can be fun as you won't have unreal expectations.
I taught myself taking ideas from a Dick Ritger "camp" I attended.
Objective #1 Don't kill myself ...

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14716

John
SRB442

Post by SRB442 »

kajmk wrote: March 9th, 2020, 10:10 pm Here's hoping for a complete recovery.
I had injured and reinjured my right hand a long time ago. The league voted to let me finish the season left handed. I painted a white stripe down the back and wore it as my bowling shirt!

I recently became aware of this website and posted the link and a few videos of hers.
Bowling with the other hand can be fun as you won't have unreal expectations.
I taught myself taking ideas from a Dick Ritger "camp" I attended.
Objective #1 Don't kill myself ...

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14716
Thank You, I can schedule my MRI tomorrow to really get to whats wrong. The bicep tendon tear and even a partial rotator cuff tear I can heal without surgery. Like I said I have full range of motion and strength it's just the fear of something else snapping while bowling. Once I know exactly whats wrong I can then plan what I need to do. Steve
Right Handed
PAP 4 9/16 over 1 1/8 up
Tilt 13 Degrees
Axis Tilt 61 Degrees
Rev Rate 300
Speed 14 MPH at the pins

SRB442

Post by SRB442 »

Had my MRI and just read the report on it. The rotator cuff is not torn but the long head biceps is torn and retracted. I have to talk to the doctor but that is on hold till the coronavirus is over. I think I will be able to bowl right handed still. I may go to a 14 lb ball though. Once I see the doctor I will have a true picture but I feel better about it. Steve
Right Handed
PAP 4 9/16 over 1 1/8 up
Tilt 13 Degrees
Axis Tilt 61 Degrees
Rev Rate 300
Speed 14 MPH at the pins