Bowling on lanes with no range finders vs lanes with them

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Bowling on lanes with no range finders vs lanes with them

Post by krava »

Does anyone have a strategy for playing on lanes that don't have range finders? For example do you tighten up your angles when are you on lanes like that. I bowled at a place All star lanes, and I haven't bowled there since I tore up my shoulder. My launch angles were all over the place. I didn't have a reference point where I am used to looking up the lanes. I have the bottom of the 6 pin I could use.

Also from what I understand, the big tournament here The southern classic is in baton rouge. I called both bowling lanes today and they don't know what range finders are. They told me neither place has them there and the bowling alleys there are 60 years old and haven't been updated as far as the lanes are concerned. I am not sure how to keep track of the breakpoint with places like that.

That also brings up the point, when bowling on older lanes that probably have alot worse topography then other lanes because of age, do you want to tame the amount of hook down? I had a few shots today and I was thinking "what was that" because the ball reacted unexpectedly just 2-3 times. It wasn't that much hook 10-11 out to 4-5 and back in. if the ball was thrown correctly then any miss right no matter how bad would come back. Also those older lanes, you have to slow the ball down. It took me a game to figure that out today. I have to go back tomorrow for a 2nd attempt and want to do better then today.
GrumpyCatFace
Preferred Company: Pyramid

Re: Bowling on lanes with no range finders vs lanes with them

Post by GrumpyCatFace »

This makes me glad that I’ve never bowled much with rangefinders lol
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

krava wrote: February 29th, 2020, 10:29 pm Does anyone have a strategy for playing on lanes that don't have range finders?
If your referring to the four long lines down the lane, Those are actually called breakpoint markers not rangefinders. The rangefinder is the system of dots and arrows close to the foul line.
For example do you tighten up your angles when are you on lanes like that.
No, the breakpoint markers or lack there of don't dictate how you play the lane. They are just reference point to help you visualize your target line and distances.
I didn't have a reference point where I am used to looking up the lanes. I have the bottom of the 6 pin I could use......... am not sure how to keep track of the breakpoint with places like that.
There are many thing's that you can make use of as reference points on the lane and to judge distances. You can use the pin deck light reflection on the lane or the reflection of the masking unit on the lane and/or the ball return cover planks. There are also dark and light boards that can be used for targets.

You should watch Ray Wongs video again he talks about them.

"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

Here is a example of reflections that could be used.
in this instance the 1st&2nd ball lights give a reference for the 10board, the white light reflection across the lane is at the 40 foot mark. the reflection of the word bowling is as about 36-37 feet. See alot of thing's can be used as reference points on the lane.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Post by krava »

so what you can do is look down at the 4 cover planks at the end and then see where the light reflection is from there, if it is far off from there then just use the planks as a reference point. The problem is I can't tell dark from light boards looking 40 feet down the lane though. They aren't that different in color to see. Do they ever bowl in the PBA without range fingers in tournaments (oh at 5min mark wong says the 4 lines are range finders).
greggas
THS Average: 210
Positive Axis Point: 4 7/8 x 5/8 up
Speed: 18mph foul line to arrows
Rev Rate: 250
Axis Tilt: 11.5
Axis Rotation: 80
Heavy Oil Ball: Roto Grip Gem, Lt gray + white scotchbrite
Medium Oil Ball: Storm Gravity Evolve, Lt gray + white scotchbrite
Light Oil Ball: Storm IQ Tour, Lt gray + white scotchbrite
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by greggas »

2017 & 2018 tour finals. All the boards are the same color, and no breakpoint markers.
Greg
USBC# 1840-6702

"2 wrongs don't make a right,... but 3 lefts do".