Lost rotation

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

SomyP
Preferred Company: Storm

Lost rotation

Post by SomyP »

As the title says, I seem to have lost all my rotation. Keep in mind I took a year off of bowling. Now this is the first time I've been bowling competitively and practicing consistently in a long time. Picked up a ball from my pro shop operator and practiced a couple of games with it.

He noticed that from top to bottom of my swing, I am not finishing the rotation of my hand. So I get 0 degrees of rotation, but somehow 5 degrees of tilt. I'm fine with the amount of tilt as in years past I was as high as 25 degrees of tilt. What I am not fine with is my lack of rotation.

Is it normal that my my muscle memory went away? I may think I may be rotating the ball, but I am not. Do I need to put a wrist brace on again to teach my hand how to rotate properly? Or just do no step and one step drills and work back slowly until I feel comfortable with the release.
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Re: Lost rotation

Post by MegaMav »

I highly doubt its 0.
SomyP

Post by SomyP »

I put a piece of tape on my axis point while practicing. It was pointing at 9 o'clock the whole time. The only time I got it to face correctly around 8 to 830 was when I purposely held the ball on the side and suitcase released it. So looks like something for me to work on in the summer as I like my lower tilt, but dont like my lack of rotation.
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Post by MegaMav »

It is not the worst thing in the world, especially on competitive patterns. Try playing straight in the block. Straight up 12 with some surface and see what happens. I doubt its as bad as you say.
SomyP

Post by SomyP »

Bowled city tournament and straighter was the greater shot. Had a low 508 for team. Only reason was I couldn't get slow enough. While my new release isn't terrible, I would like a little more rotation to play in when the shot calls for it. Otherwise I'm content knowing I am behind the ball now. Something to work on over the summer which is what has me excited about bowling again.
SomyP

Post by SomyP »

Figured something else out. I have for the time being a pinched ulnar nerve at the moment. It only happens when gripping too tightly any object, not just my bowling ball. Maybe that could be reason as to why my hand is not quite finishing the rotation on the ball. Don't know for sure, but maybe my muscle memory went away after a year of not bowling. While my body remembers how to roll the ball, it has forgotten how to release it for a proper 3/4 roll. Would wearing a brace help me in my current situation? Or am I better off working with my coach and practicing my release until we get it right?
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Post by 44boyd »

Would need a video to determine that. More than likely foul line drills could help. Braces should be used only to train you how keep your hand under and behind the ball, unless there’s an in capability to hold the ball properly
Stacy
SomyP

Post by SomyP »

The only issue I've seen is that my wrist tends to break too early at release. I have no issues staying behind the ball now. Maybe it's the wrist breaking too early causing my lack of rotation. Going to go practicing pretty soon, so let's see if it is a matter of my wrist breaking too early. I will bowl a game without the brace, and a game with it to see any differences. Also will put a piece of tape on my PAP to see if I am rotating the ball properly. Only time I bowl for score is league and tournaments. When I practice now, it's to work on a skill I feel I need to build. In this instance it's my release. Other times it may be timing, swing slot, etc. Best thing I've ever done is learned how to practice properly. Very rare that I practice to shoot a high score these days.
44boyd

Post by 44boyd »

Could be as simple as changing the distance of your index to a wider position and maybe try tucking the pinky. That helps you come around it some
Stacy
SomyP

Post by SomyP »

Thanks for the advice. Will try a wider position with the index finger and I normally tuck my pinky. However recently I've been untucking it. So will go back to my old/normal release and see if my rotation gets better.
SomyP

Post by SomyP »

Just finished my practice session. Tried spreading my index finger and tucking the pinky and I still could not get around the ball. Still very much behind the ball, but not completing the shaking hands portion of the release. I tried throwing the ball with just 2 fingers and noticed my rotation improved and I could throw the ball dead straight with just two fingers to the point I clip my fingers.

This by no reason means I am becoming a two handed or no thumb bowler. What it taught me is that my thumb is not clearing as fast as it once did, and I need to complete my hand around the ball. Last game of practice I simply practiced for score and shot 260. A good game and good feedback on what needs to be worked on.
44boyd

Post by 44boyd »

By no means is what you’re doing is bad, just use stronger covers like Eric promotes to get movement. I don’t hook it much because of low tilt and rotation. When I use more rotation I just use the little flick at the bottom with thumb going towards 10 o’clock. Foul line drills is what I’d recommend so you can isolate it
Stacy
SomyP

Post by SomyP »

Thanks all for the great advice. It seems like I'm not quite finishing with my thumb pointing towards 10 and rather it's only going from 2 to 12. Like I said, I'm excited to be working on my release in the summer. For now I'm going to work with what I got and make it work.
dcb5739
Preferred Company: Columbia 300

Post by dcb5739 »

If you took a whole year off Id stop at your PSO and get you fit rechecked. A fit that requires less grip pressure will come off your hand cleaner with better natural rotation